2001 GL1800 rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice! You guys have made great progress in a very short time. I doubt even a bike shop could do it as quickly.

Looking like you two are making very nice progress on your latest project. :salute: A steady, just keeping on the task type of pace, always makes the work progress best, fastest, with better results, & fewer screw ups for me. :good:

Hey, I get to post during the daylight today! Short work day on the 1800 today, tentatively named Gertrude (Galloping Gurdy for short) as there wasn't much left to do and it's blasted hot here today. We changed the oil and spark plugs, finished mounting the inner fairing and cowl, and made sure things looked right. Then the moment we'd been waiting for, Scott took her out for her shake down run. He came back about 30 minutes later with a big smile on his face, everything runs great! Like a dunce, I forgot to bring my helmet with me so I can't tell how it is from personal experience. There a still a few things to wrap up, but we're almost there...except...in the motherlode of parts we picked up a few weeks ago there were several pieces of Tupperware in Black Cherry...I think this bike has to go from blue pearl to black cherry. We have to order paint anyway so Scott asked me which color he should order, I'll let him know when I see him tomorrow that my wife's eyes lit up when I mentioned the possibility of going with black cherry, so the color change is in.
ae2e9800851bf5468e2e6dfddcec8096.jpg
eb397882950207066d9723475ef3dcbe.jpg
00f7d64db08c5f691e4a6dc756e7e0ff.jpg
aeb261afaf0caa27ca73b100c0867dd1.jpg
6bc0184ff8452f83c09bb645f6e16104.jpg
72a0310e369394532f2a31bef0705af5.jpg
940e289e13b4853d5aad07bdbdc08cf6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

slabghost":duceu0iy said:
Funny you got the fender and I'm still waiting for vid cam batteries I bought almost 3 months ago.
The fender was ordered about 6 weeks ago when he first bought the bike and was waiting for it to ship, but he still got it in about a month.

I'd love to take a major road trip! For now, I'll have to stick close to the Pacific Ocean. My 25th anniversary is coming up in September, there just may be a bit of a road trip for the wife and I in the near future...[emoji173] [emoji173] [emoji173] It would be the best if both worlds, I'd get to spend a week with my wife and my mistress...

Lostboy Steve":chl79h99 said:
Nfn, I really like the blue.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk
So do I, but that red just caught my eye...

Wow! What a great job! I love the cherry color. I was almost going to paint my '82 cherry at one point, but I had too many recently added parts in original Cosmos Black Metallic.

This was the color I really liked!

image.php

I like both colours, I am sure that it will be great in either of them. :yes: :good:

This is a great thread. My brother-in-law has an 1800 and we talked about maintenance one day and the air filter. Boy, if looks could kill....I did not pursue the subject. I love the cherry and can live without the blue. But for $3500 I wouldn't care if the fender was white and the trunk was camo.

I got to get out on the road for about 30 miles today. What a difference going from the 1000 to an 1800, so much more power!

I feel like I'm just learning to ride all over again, jerky starts and when I downshift towards a stop sign, it barks the rear tire.

Latest posts