the Hunley, or pidjones needed a project - '78 frame with '75 engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polished the cam belt cover backing plates yesterday. Not all that visible, so did't spend as long on them. This morning, I finished off engine block cleaning with Scrubbing Bubbles followed by isopropyl alcohol. Then, I rolled it onto its left side and painted the bottom and right side. I'm real pleased with the color. It will probably set like this until we get back from Florida as it is supposed to cure real well before any rough handling. Then, I'll roll it to the other side and paint the left and top.
WP_20180109_14_11_37_Pro.jpg

Bottom and one side painted.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199297#p199297:1qhbg3ai said:
pidjones » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:08 pm[/url]":1qhbg3ai]
Polished the cam belt cover backing plates yesterday. Not all that visible, so did't spend as long on them. This morning, I finished off engine block cleaning with Scrubbing Bubbles followed by isopropyl alcohol. Then, I rolled it onto its left side and painted the bottom and right side. I'm real pleased with the color. It will probably set like this until we get back from Florida as it is supposed to cure real well before any rough handling. Then, I'll roll it to the other side and paint the left and top.
View attachment 1

file.php

file.php
Looks excellent! :lust: What kind of paint is that? Did you brush it on?

This is POR15 engine paint. Brushed on with no primer. Brushes pretty easy and levels well. Some spots will want a second coat since the aluminum is so light colored.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Made it back from Titusville late last night. We got to see Falcon 9 with GovSat1 go up, and watched Falcon Heavy static hot fire testing. Pretty wore out today, but put the engine back on its cart so that I can finish painting it when the weather warms a bit.

Heads are now on. Belts installed and valves set. Water pipes installed with new thermostat. Hope to test compression on Saturday.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Compression test:
First, dry:
1 3
150 120
2 4
110 120

Wait, #1 was the worst cylinder that had so much rust in the bottom and read the worst initial compression. Ok, a couple squirts of motor oil in each cylinder (it sure turned over faster after that):

1 3
180 160
2 4
160 160

I'll take it! I don't have an oil pressure gauge right now, but the oil pressure switch opens as soon as she cranks (watched it with my DVM).

The fuel pump didn't seem to be pumping when I put some isopropyl in it, so I pulled it apart. The phenolic in the valves looks pretty swollen, but I know of no source for new ones. I cleaned them well and swapped positions. After priming with isopropyl, it seemed to pump fairly well. I might get an eBay 1100 pump for back-up. Now the pump/tach drive need to be polished up and remounted. Then I'll clean up the points section and remount it. Going to Charleston next weekend for a ship's reunion, but hope to put the engine in the frame the week after that and start stringing the wiring harness back on! The rear drive/swing arm still need to come apart and be cleaned/rebuilt as needed. Then painted and remounted. This rear drive is a greasy mess. Hope it doesn't have a leaky seal.

I'll post up some beauty shots of the engine next week with the carb rack just setting on top.

Full disclosure: she is just mocked up right now. Left valve cover is a junker, intake horns (obviously without clamps) don't have o-rings, and in fact there is tape over the intakes on the heads. Fuel pump/tach drive just screwed on but not sealed, and the points box is still to be polished and installed. Still, this gives me a spirit boost. Covers could be polished more but I think they will stay as they are. Undecided on clear lacquer coating. I've not seen it go well. Carbs won't get any polishing, just hope my rebuild on them was good. Now, on to getting the rear drive ready, then engine to frame and wiring fun.
Glamor Shot 1.JPG