Daeouse's GL1200 Freebie Restoration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200688#p200688:3kho3wqa said:
desertrefugee » 22 minutes ago[/url]":3kho3wqa]
Now, about that ignition and charging stuff...

I'm getting to it. . . :beg:

Good news is, I have one of the mechanics at work (who's a good friend) promising to help me check the wiring. If I can manage to get everything sorted, I'll be thrilled.

Wow! That has a few extra lights on it. At least they are all working, so the electrical system for those seems to be good, but like desertrefugee pointed out, if the starting and charging wiring isn't good, the lights are just decorations, but yes... that is encouraging.

Nice to have the lights come on when you turn the key. Have to agree with the collective, need to start the bike first. Once it is started check the condition of the alternator unit - the bike has a three piece alternator unit consisting of an internal rotor/stator assembly (2 pieces) and an external combined regulator/rectifier unit, make sure the rotor/stator assembly is operating correctly. You can test the RR early without the engine started by disconnecting it and doing the checks as per the service manual. Once you confirm a good alternator unit, check for operating amps. Your rotor stator assembly is approximately 350 watt unit and at max power (5000 RPM) has an amperage output of approximately 25 amps. I would estimate that your bike needs approximately 15 to 20 amps to operate without the add-ons. Lots of power to support this when at higher RPMs, but at the lower RPM levels, the electrical system voltage will drop.

The mechanical maintenance is very straight forward. Most concerns when bringing an older vintage bike back to life that I have read about tend to revolve around the electrical system, and carbs. Get these two items right and you will have a great ride.

Good luck. Cheers

Thanks for the info! I hope to be able to get some work done on the bike soon, so I will be running those tests as I have the ability and my buddy for helping.

Ok, today I was able to get some work done on the bike today, though it may have been for nothing.

I installed the clutch lever and master cylinder, then bled the line. The problem is, the clutch will not engage. :head bang:
I don't know if it's seized in the "off" position (it's in neutral now) and thus won't engage, but it lets fluid through it and out the lower bleeder valve, but when everything is closed, it won't engage the clutch. Am I missing something? I've never had to work with a hydraulic clutch before, so I'm confused. . . :help:
Do I have to pull the entire clutch basket? I wanted to avoid doing any serious tear-down work until I got it running, but if I must, I will do so. I haven't changed the oil yet (it has some in it, and it's not shot), so should I do this before the oil change? :headscratch:

As for the electrical system, I did some poking around, and the aftermarket wiring that's festooning the bike is spliced in everywhere. I have decided to tear all the wiring for the aftermarket lights out and build a sub-harness for the replacement lights when I add them. Also, I was advised by my mechanic friend to tear out any non-stock wiring in the main harness and begin testing from there. I'm heavily debating buying an entirely "new" harness online. . . :laptop:

After a long sit it is not unusual for the clutch plates to stick together. Some have been broken free rocking the bike or slamming into gear. Most have required removal and separation.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201424#p201424:2beuqcnm said:
brianinpa » Today, 7:41 am[/url]":2beuqcnm]
Put it in fifth gear and see if you can break it loose by turning the rear tire.

It won't go into gear at the moment. . .

I pumped out the tank today, in preparation of a tank cleaning. Not nearly as bad as I thought it might be, but it still will need some cleanup work. . .
pics up later. . .

Did you get the clutch free yet? Are you sure it won't disengage, or perhaps the hydraulics are not working yet?

If you can get it into a high gear, Brian's suggestion is a sound one. I had an old Triumph that the clutch plates would stick every winter. Each spring I would fire it up drop it into gear unceremoniously. Worked then, but I wouldn't recommend it now.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201432#p201432:u1dwzazz said:
desertrefugee » 5 minutes ago[/url]":u1dwzazz]
Did you get the clutch free yet? Are you sure it won't disengage, or perhaps the hydraulics are not working yet?

If you can get it into a high gear, Brian's suggestion is a sound one. I had an old Triumph that the clutch plates would stick every winter. Each spring I would fire it up drop it into gear unceremoniously. Worked then, but I wouldn't recommend it now.

No, I didn't even check it yet today. I will tomorrow. As for the rebuild, I will do the rebuild on my next day off if possible.
I can't even get it to catch in a gear at all with the lever, so I may have to move it to a place where I have room for rolling the beast. . .

Update:
I haven't had time to mess with Freebie over the last week and change because I'm getting a promotion and transfer at work, so I have a lot of side work to do before I move departments and get a day off. I have touched base with the local Goldwing shop, and have them ready on standby to assist me with anything I can't handle myself. Everything has been priced out, the carb rebuild kits are in line to be ordered, and a clutch rebuild kit will be ordered just before that. Work will be beginning soon, I just have to be sure I don't overrun my budget or my available time. . .

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201552#p201552:28z3cb2g said:
Daeouse » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:48 pm[/url]":28z3cb2g]
Update:
I haven't had time to mess with Freebie over the last week and change because I'm getting a promotion and transfer at work, . . .

Excuses, excuses... :smilie_happy: Congrats!

Now, take it one step at a time and you won't have to worry about over running the budget.

Congrats on the promotion! Time will be there. Might be very little and not so often but that just makes completion more satisfying.

Thanks, guys. I hope to be able to get some of the work done on this soon. . .

As many of you may know, I sold freebie. I'm hoping to get another project when I have a place to store it. Thanks for following!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Latest posts