LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently April 23rd, 2018, 10:28 pm
Who Is Online: desertrefugee, trouble .... 2 guests
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Repairs and Modifications » Restorations

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Forum rules

This forum is strictly for members documenting a current or past restoration and the discussion of those restorations.
It is not for discussions about repairs or modifications.
Please use the appropriate model forums for these other discussions.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#166  Unread postPosted: March 14th, 2018, 6:50 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1602
Active Topics: 30

Total Images: 69
Local time: April 24th, 2018, 1:28 am
My Bike Models: 1986 GL1200A "Goldie"
2016 HD FLTRU "BB"

Profile Personal album

May want to check with these guys

http://greenscyclesalvage.com/

They came through with a nice salvaged rear end for mine

Riding anything is a good day

Mike

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#167  Unread postPosted: March 14th, 2018, 11:40 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Total Posts: 358
Active Topics: 10

Local time: April 24th, 2018, 2:28 am
My Bike Models: GL1800 ('06)
GL1000 'project'- '78 with '75 motor
Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250
Ex 68 TR6C Triumph (chopped)

Thanks, all! I have a salvage yard about 36 miles South of me that I'll call tomorrow. Have a search started on eBay to alert me with a reasonable priced one. I don't plan on touring with this girl (still have my '06 with only 110k miles on her), but want her in decent shape. Not all that hard to pull off now that I've done it once, and it will probably be months before I'm ready to mount the swing arm, anyway. So, there is plenty of time.

"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Post subject: Swing arm together
Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#168  Unread postPosted: March 19th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

Ended up getting a great deal on a propeller shaft on eBay (vendor took it out of a swing arm he had listed). Swing arm is reassembled with a healthy dollop of Honda Pro Moly 60 on the coupler splines. On to the wheels!

Post subject: On to wheels!
Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#169  Unread postPosted: March 21st, 2018, 5:22 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

I wrapped the swingarm/rear drive assembly and stored it away for now. Rolled out the rear wheel and commenced to clean the grease build-up out of the drive side. STP Engine Cleaner doing a pretty good job. Dow Bathroom Cleaner to get the engine cleaner off. Switched to brake side and removed the disk (pretty badly scored - I'll mic it and consider a replacement). Started cleaning that side.

The plan on the wheels is to clean and prep for paint with the old, hard tires mounted. After priming them, I'll air them back up and use for initial assembly. If alll is looking good then, I'll take them back off and buy new tires to have mounted (thinking Duro HF918's), then touch up the primer and paint after the new tires are mounted.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#170  Unread postPosted: March 21st, 2018, 8:49 am

Site supporter
Single Carb Club
C5 Club

Total Posts: 17643
Active Topics: 184

Total Images: 1716
My Bike Models: A bunch in the works

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Sounding good you got the shaft good ...and able to move on

thank god and hooch im gone

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#171  Unread postPosted: March 29th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

Been knocking out little things lately. Seat mounting tabs cleaned, drilled, and painted. Masking stripped off the frame. Cleaned the wheels (took DAYS!) and masked them for painting. Front now has etching primer ans wheel paint on it. Rear is masked and ready for when the humidity falls again. I'm rattle-caning them with Duplicolor paint. The wheels will set for months before being handled again, so they shouldbe pretty cured. The final coats will be Bronze, but for now I'm leaving them black until new tires are mounted. About ready to mount the frame to the motor (sounds backwards, doesn't it?) in a few days. Sure is nice to be going through boxes and pulling things OUT!

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#172  Unread postPosted: March 30th, 2018, 5:14 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

This thing came with a pretty nice pair of chrome (78-79) mufflers that are in better shape than most that I see. I'm taking them over to Pistol Pete next week to see if he is interested in them, and if not I'll offer them here before I eBay them.
Attachment:
WP_20180330_10_30_21_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#173  Unread postPosted: April 7th, 2018, 9:17 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

This gets infuriating at times. The front motor mount bolt has been replaced with a 10mm instead of the original 12mm. I guess it was changed out to add the engine guards (that I'll probably re-mount). So, I've ordered some 10mmx12mm SS tubing to shim the bolts out to the holes in the engine and frame. Meanwhile, I've cleaned and primed the upper torque rods and prepared the side covers for primer (they will need primed, sanded, primed, sanded etc. to smooth some scratches out). Cleaning nuts, bolts, washers with wire wheel on the drill press as I go. Tried some Evapo-rust on a few, but not really satisfied with the results on these Honda plated bolts. Bought some new chrome bolts and washers to mount the rear upper motor mounts to the frame. Figure next week the frame will go on the engine. Them it is suppose to warm up and dry up and I can (fingers crossed) do some color painting. Meanwhile, snow and freezing forecast for tonight.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#174  Unread postPosted: April 12th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

De-rusted battery box, shelter frame, front hanger and primed, painted, clear coated. Cleaned off tank and painted/clear coated. Re-rusted front fender and brace and primed. Painted inside of brace. Made up the neutral switch wire and soldered high-current gold-plated contacts on the alternator wires. Drained the oil and removed the filter. Tomorrow the wife is supposed to help me put the frame on the engine.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#175  Unread postPosted: April 12th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14699
Active Topics: 148

Total Images: 112
My Bike Models: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

De-rusted battery box, shelter frame, front hanger and primed, painted, clear coated. Cleaned off tank and painted/clear coated. Re-rusted front fender and brace and primed. Painted inside of brace. Made up the neutral switch wire and soldered high-current gold-plated contacts on the alternator wires. Drained the oil and removed the filter. Tomorrow the wife is supposed to help me put the frame on the engine.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Sweet! You have a great wife!

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#176  Unread postPosted: April 13th, 2018, 1:32 am

Total Posts: 548
Active Topics: 45

Total Images: 5
My Bike Models: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Profile Personal album

[quote="pidjones » Yesterday, 10:04 pm"]De-rusted battery box, shelter frame, front hanger and primed, painted, clear coated. Cleaned off tank and painted/clear coated. Re-rusted front fender and brace and primed. Painted inside of brace. Made up the neutral switch wire and soldered high-current gold-plated contacts on the alternator wires. Drained the oil and removed the filter. Tomorrow the wife is supposed to help me put the frame on the engine.

Then buy her a beer.

I couldn't fix my brakes, so I made the horn louder.

The motor started knocking. Turned up the radio

Jack

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#177  Unread postPosted: April 13th, 2018, 3:26 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

wedoo2 wrote:

Then buy her a beer.
Better! Taking her to lunch @ The Chow Hall. On the GL1800.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#178  Unread postPosted: April 13th, 2018, 3:31 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

I think that all of the parts needing painting other than those that will get dark green (side panels, shelter sides, fenders) have finally been de-rusted, cleaned, primed (etching primer) and painted (most clear coated also). The front fender has been sanded and primed. The side covers have been sanded, primed, sanded, sanding primed, sanded, primed and ready for color. Only the rear fender and shelter sides need preped for color. The saddle is at the upholsterer getting the vinyl sewn. I cut the rear fender down today and just need to pound some bumps in it for mounting before sanding down the chrome and then priming it.

But the big news for today is..... The frame is now back on the engine!!!!! Quite a milestone for me. The wife helped jockey the frame with me and I took her out to lunch to thank her (we rode the GL1800 and rode over Norris Dam on the way home).
Attachment:
WP_20180413_10_27_28_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#179  Unread postPosted: April 16th, 2018, 9:55 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

Mounted the radiator and pressure tested - not good. After trial-and-error, decided leak was on the radiator itself. Pulled it back off and took the cardboard that I had taped over the coils off. Pressed up and it was obviously from a small hole on the edge of a tube. Luckily, it was at just the right spot to be able to easily solder. Back on and holding pressure well. Next, I have to dimple the rear finder on each side for mounting bolts, sand off the chrome, and prime it. I found that the upper and lower radiator guard mounts need painted, as well as the radiator guard screen. Will these parts never end? Anyway, that is all prepped for paint. Now to beat on the fender!

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#180  Unread postPosted: April 17th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

Gas tank in, radiator back out to touch up the paint on the sides. Pounded some nifty dimples in the rear fender (cut off ~7") for mounting. Sanded chrome off the fender and added etching primer. Mounted the battery box. Right when it starts to feel like I'm getting somewhere, I open the wiring storage crate and feel like I've just started!

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently April 23rd, 2018, 10:28 pm