LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently May 23rd, 2018, 11:54 pm
Who Is Online: Ian38091 ....1 guest(s) viewing this forum
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Repairs and Modifications » Restorations

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Forum rules

This forum is strictly for members documenting a current or past restoration and the discussion of those restorations.
It is not for discussions about repairs or modifications.
Please use the appropriate model forums for these other discussions.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#181  Unread postPosted: April 18th, 2018, 2:41 am

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14748
Active Topics: 148

Total Images: 112
Local time: May 24th, 2018, 3:54 am
My Bike Models: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

Yeah putting the wiring back on can be a daunting task.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#182  Unread postPosted: April 18th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Site supporter
Single Carb Club
C5 Club

Total Posts: 17655
Active Topics: 184

Total Images: 1716
My Bike Models: A bunch in the works

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Yah the 1000 wiring harness is crazy on 75-77 models ...78-79 a bit better but it a mess around left side by the coils ..

thank god and hooch im gone

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#183  Unread postPosted: April 20th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Total Posts: 383
Active Topics: 10

My Bike Models: GL1800 ('06)
GL1000 'project'- '78 with '75 motor
Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250
Ex 68 TR6C Triumph (chopped)

A bit more progress today. I had pulled the radiator to re-mount the fan and add the guard on the front - plus change the upper hose to a new one. Mounted that all back up. Mounted the swingarm/rear drive and reconnected the driveshaft. I have to say that it was very easy to reconnect the u-joint and put the correct external circlip on it. A LOT easier that getting the internal circlip off!

Now, I've begun re-wiring it. Oh, joy! POs have modified, neglected, and generally hosed up the wiring. I had already replaced 75% of the connectors. Discovered that the starter solenoid had been replaced with one with the B connection at the back and M at the front if mounted in the rubber boot. Ended up splicing an inline fuse holder to the red lead and joining the red/white and the upstream end of the fuse to the B terminal (dogbone long gone).

The bike end of the 8 pin connector to the rectifier has three green wires and connectors. The rectifier plug only had two green wires and connectors. I added another connector and green wire and ran it to a good frame ground.

With the addition of the swingarm, the thing is getting a little rear heavy (still on a furniture dolly), so I may work on the front forks and triple tree next. Or finish the carb rack and mount it. I want to get the carbs on before mounting the shelter frame, anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#184  Unread postPosted: April 21st, 2018, 9:05 am

Global Moderator
Site supporter
knocker

Total Posts: 9542
Active Topics: 296

Total Images: 1052
Local time: May 24th, 2018, 2:54 am
My Bike Models: Restored '82 Standard GL1100 (with '83 engine) Hondaline bags.
'81 GL1100 - Gave up the ghost to give life to the '82!
1st bike '81 Suzuki GN400

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
That is looking real sharp!

Gerry <///><

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#185  Unread postPosted: April 21st, 2018, 5:52 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

Carbs mounted up today. Pretty easy with the shelter still off and wiring not that far forward. No photos, though. Thinking triple tree and bars next to let me run the throttle, choke, and clutch cables while the shelter is still off.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#186  Unread postPosted: April 23rd, 2018, 6:23 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

Well, the head bearings are bad (discovered while prepping the triple tree to paint). I made a tool to remove the lower race using a ~1.5" aluminum bar ~ 12" long with a 3/8" tapped hole in the end of it. I used the hole to bolt a large flat washer (thick fender washer) to the bottom that was about 1/8" larger in radius. This gave me a lip to place above the lower race. I alternated front-back, right-left and measured a coupe times to assure me it was was working. About one minute of tapping and the race fell out. I used the bar without the washer on it to tap out the upper race. To remove the lower bearing from the shaft, I had seen and read of cutting with a moto-tool part way and then splitting with a cold chisel. I first cut off the roller cage, then bent the seal out of the way. I cut with one of those thin, delicate abrasive blades (didn't shatter this time!) until I heard a tink! and the race broke open. The chisel then was used to tap the race on off. I have dressed the surface with a diamond hone (a few burrs from someone's previous work) and polished with 3000 and 7000 grit silicon carbide paper using isopropyl as a cutting fluid. BTW, using 91% (or the highest you can get) isopropyl as a cutting fluid for fine abrasive helps to keep the paper useful many times longer by keeping it flushed and carrying away cuttings. I discovered this trick years ago at my paid vocation. Thanks go out to those that have recorded their ideas, tools, and success in this in the various forums. They really encouraged me to try it myself. I won't say my was better - I just happened to have these pieces on hand. Two days and the new bearings will be here. I plan to use the removed lower race to tap in the new bearing with a piece of PVC driving above it. I will use the removed outer races to tap the new ones it.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#187  Unread postPosted: April 24th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

Meanwhile, I disassembled both fork legs (actually, ones bought to replace the REALLY bad ones that came with the bike), cleaned, measured, polished, and reassembled with new seals and 200 cc of Dexron each.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#188  Unread postPosted: April 25th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

A little more on the Hunley today (even thought the bearings didn't show up as promised). With carbs on, I hooked up throttle cables, choke, clutch, and tach cables. Not very hard with the shelter not installed yet. Sanded side covers in preparation for filler primer and more sanding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#189  Unread postPosted: April 28th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

So, hovering Hunley went out into the sunlight today. Also gained triple trees, forks, handlebars, headlight. All wired up to the point that I was able to get headlights and speedo/tach lights. No indications on the gauge panel, and the starter acts like it is shorted now (it worked a couple months ago for me to do compression tests).

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#190  Unread postPosted: April 30th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

Starter works fine with a fully charged battery! Have signals, headlights, tail and stop lights (no brakes yet, though!) A few more items and I get to see if it will run.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#191  Unread postPosted: May 1st, 2018, 10:13 am

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14748
Active Topics: 148

Total Images: 112
My Bike Models: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

Looking good. Getting there!

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#192  Unread postPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 3:43 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

Painted the tins yesterday. Taking the side covers out to paint I noticed that the primer will still soft. It had been on for a couple weeks at least. I left them aside and painted the shelter sides, radiator scoops, front and rear fenders, and the little piece that bolts to the back of the shelter under the door. Pretty happy with the way the color turned out. It is just lacquer, so I need to let it cure for a bit and then buff the clear coat. A little orange peel in a few places on the shelter sides, otherwise it looks great. Today I scrapped (sanding primer was so soft a lot of it scraped off with a putty knife) the paint off of the side covers and discovered after trial and error that there is a clear coat on the side covers that the primer (which is lacquer-based) doesn't agree with. I have almost all of that off now, too. Tried some etching primer over them lightly and there are just a few spots left to address. I'll get some more etching primer, seal everything off with that, and then lightly apply the sanding primer. Meanwhile, I pulled the rear brake system apart and got one of the pistons out. The side with the connections wasn't so easy (used air to get the first one out). I have blanked the cross port and applied air, but so far no piston movement. I'll get at it again tomorrow. Oh, and recharged the S10 AC system as it will be my work commute transportation on bad-weather days this summer.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#193  Unread postPosted: May 9th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

Hmm. Well, I got the other rear brake piston out. Read somewhere the suggestion to hook up the front master cylinder to it and yep, pumped it right out. I've put them both on my lathe and polished - still a few very small pits but these for a '78 rear are made from unobtainium, I think. I have a rebuild kit on hand for both front and rear master cylinders now, plus a rear caliper kit. The front calipers seemed real good when I brought the bike home five years ago. The fluid in them looked pretty good. I'll flush them thoroughly and rebuild the front master.

Rolled her outside today and tried starting. Got a little rumble, but before I could go much further the starter quit again. Guess a charged battery won't do it this time - so I've mounted the wheels and will have the wife help steady the bike while I lift under the center cross member with a floor jack and pull the furniture dolly out from under it. I've already re-mounted the kick stand. Since I haven't mounted mufflers yet it will be easy to drop that header and pull the starter. Yep, um hm. Easy. Well, at least I have all of the wiring finished now - even the horns!

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#194  Unread postPosted: May 10th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

Well, The starter is out, cleaned up, and back in. Took about an hour once the wife helped me take the bike off the furniture dolly. Left header, shifter, cable, 2 bolts and out. Three screws and apart. One more screw and the brush assembly is free. Commutator looked awful - not identifiable as copper and very pitted. Chucked it in the lathe and spun it with 500 followed by 1200 then 7000 grit using isopropyl as a flushing fluid. Looks nice now. cleaned it up, greased the gearbox (barely had a touch of lithium grease in it) and assembled. Spins nice. Bolted back in and click click from solenoid. Straight shot with a jumper cable and the engine spins right over, so solenoid is on order. Not really surprised. Electrics don't like being under water.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#195  Unread postPosted: May 17th, 2018, 7:54 am

Site supporter

Topic author

Ex 86 SEi
Ex 77 GL1000
Ex 75 RD400
Ex 73 RD250

She lives! (Ok, still many issues, but this is the FIRST time that I have ever heard her run!)

phpBB [video]

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently May 23rd, 2018, 11:54 pm