the Hunley, or pidjones needed a project - '78 frame with '75 engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.
Wife snapped me easing out (Yes, I'm an ATGATT believer):

Attachments

• 1st ride b.jpg
    1st ride b.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 108
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203136#p203136:3d7xssm5 said:
D-50Dave » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:58 am[/url]":3d7xssm5]
What's ATGATT?
"All-The-Gear-All-The -Time" so even if you are taking a short test ride around the block you wear all your motorcycle safety gear.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203138#p203138:2yuf5hoi said:
canuckxxxx » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:07 pm[/url]":2yuf5hoi]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203136#p203136:2yuf5hoi said:
D-50Dave » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:58 am[/url]":2yuf5hoi]
What's ATGATT?
"All-The-Gear-All-The -Time" so even if you are taking a short test ride around the block you wear all your motorcycle safety gear.
:good:
Only way to travel. :salute:

Painted shelter and side covers today (Duplicolor Dark Emerald Green Metallic). Side covers came out good, a little orange peal that I hope will sand out. Shelter covers developed bad boogers. Must have been a bit of enamel that I had sanded through the primer to. It will probably all have to come off and be redone. Might just rattle-can them with black lacquer for the summer. This may have been the last low humidity day until fall. Parts for upper brake line were shipped today. Not planning to ride it anymore until the front brakes work. So far a grand total of 2.5 miles!

Really not happy with the shelter paint. The lower side covers should be OK once polished out, but the lacquer is too soft still for that. I just hung one side on to take a photo. The shelter covers on both sides have artifacts that I believe are from underlying enamel that was exposed by sanding through the primer (that somehow avoids messing up the enamel even though the primer is lacquer-based). Plans are presently to not sand all of the paint off, but rather scuff it and hit it with etching primer once it hardens, then color. I think I'll wait longer between color coats - maybe I rushed it this time. I'll let the color set, sand out the orange peal, then do the clear coat with greater time between coats on it, too. I love the color and it worked great on the fenders that were sanded-down chrome and steel. I'm sure it was the original Honda enamel that is fighting me. I had to sand off or completely cover with etching primer for the lower sides.

Attachments

• Hunley painted 1.jpg
    Hunley painted 1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Hunley painted 2.jpg
    Hunley painted 2.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 82
This afternoon I finished bleeding the front brakes (necessary after replacing the upper front brake line). I installed a new boot on the right front caliper piston. The I pulled the speedometer and opened it so that I could lubricate the pointer shaft with some very thin silicone oil, thinning and flushing the thickened stuff that was in it. Then re-sealed and installed the speedometer. I think it is safe to start taking longer rides on it, if the weather will cooperate!

Pretty hot out today. I did get out and mount the Hunley onto the trailer I built for her out of Harbor Freight frame and loading ramps. Rode it right up. The trailer has fold-down side boards because I've seen way too many YouTube videos of guys dumping their bikes loading or unloading them. Still not happy with the strapping down plan I had. The ratchet straps I bought at Harbor Freight are crap - jambing every time. The high-strength cam buckle straps slip at every opportunity. I'm going to Tractor Supply for some SmartStraps. These seem like the best I've ever used.

Attachments

• WP_20180616_15_01_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180616_15_01_02_Pro.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 154
Took the ratchet and cam buckle straps back to Harbor Freight for a refund. The SmartStraps should do for me. Mounted the sides on the shelter, even though the paint is bad. Rain today and with the hard old tires I didn't dare ride it. Mounted a new choke cable because I had broken the old one tightening the old plastic too tight. New one does feel much smoother. Hope to ride in to work (about 20 miles each way, much of it high-speed mayhem), but that is dependent on weather and how this weekend's shake down runs go.

The weather has really been poor for riding - either steamy 90's or raining or wet roads. I am not about to take these 13 year-old hard tires on wet roads. So, I've been finishing up the trailer. Loaded her up and did a couple mile loop around tight turns, railroad tracks, etc. Seems to ride fine, now. Shelter sides on, but lower side covers off because the straps would rub them. They'll ride in the back seat of the truck.

Attachments

• WP_20180622_13_53_25_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180622_13_53_25_Pro.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 132
That looks really good. :salute:
The only other improvement would be to strap down the front and rear tires so that the suspension does all the work over rough roads and doesn’t end up fighting with the tow down straps. They are also making bike tie down straps with a shock absorbing bungy style set up to prevent damaging your suspension.

Ansimp":1z0eei27 said:
That looks really good. :salute:
The only other improvement would be to strap down the front and rear tires so that the suspension does all the work over rough roads and doesn’t end up fighting with the tow down straps. They are also making bike tie down straps with a shock absorbing bungy style set up to prevent damaging your suspension.
My first try had the front tied down with soft ties to the fork legs just above the sliders - soft ties gripped well there but that gave no lateral support. If I try that again, I'll have to work out a chaffing protector for where the strap would go through that short 2" square tube. Might gust look into strapping down the front and rear wheels with wrapped 1" cam lock straps. I only have the suspension ~30% compressed so far, and it didn't wiggle (wife rode along to watch) around some tight turns and railroad track crossings. The road we live on has like a one - mile section that makes "the Dragon" look tame.
I've also lowered the trailer tire pressure from 45 down to 32, which should smooth its ride a bit. Over 50 there was a vibration, so I might need to add balancing beads to the trailer tires.