1982 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and put some information in the new member section and decided I would move some of that over here to the restorations. I love this part of the forum as a lot of the ones I have been a member of do not dedicate a section to just their restoration progress. There are quite a few here and I have read through a bunch. I get disappointed when they just end without any ending though. I have been restoring 70s-80s Japanese bikes for several years and that is what interests me most. Hopefully I can help with other members' problems here too.

As for the latest, this particular bike seems to be cursed as I have had so many motor problems. On on my third one now. I spent last week installing the latest, an 82 motor, and when everything was hooked up it started leaking coolant around a head that was just reinstalled. I love to do everything to the bikes I restore, but on these Wings I am challenged by the valve clearance and setting the timing belts, so I have a buddy who does it for me. Former Honda mechanic. He had found a couple of bent valves on the left side. Told me that when I loosen up the timing belts that it should be at TDC 1 or you risk bending valves. He put in a couple of valves from other heads I had, and I have many. but did not change the head gasket. It looked new to him.

So now I have ordered a new one and hopefully will get it in this week. And it won't leak. We'll see. Here is a picture of the bike when I got it after some good cleaning. As you can see it is gorgeous, and I did good trading for it for a 78 Suzuki GS 750.

100_1542_zpstxmecqcg.jpg

I will build my restoration history to bring you all up to date.

I got this bike in a trade with I guy I know for a restored 1978 Suzuki GS750. This was a bike that I had lusted after for many, many years. My brother had one bought new, and I had shortly afterwards bought a GS400. I found one a couple of years ago and spent a winter doing a frame off restoration. Looked and ran great when I was done.

100_1159_zps4234f340.jpg

Problem is I hated riding it. Kind of underpowered from what I was used to (see the Vstar in the pic) even though it did have that good 7000 rpm power band, buzzy and needed another top gear. My lusted after bike was just a memory. My bud Don came along and we set up a trade for the Wing. I had restored an 83 several years ago and rode it all over the place. Took the wife to the Dragon. Sold it for more projects.

This Wing did not, had not ran for a while, but you could see it had been taken care of by the PO. Got it running but poorly. Turned out that #3 had no compression. One motor down. Called Green's salvage south of Owensboro, Ky and number two was acquired. More to come.

Whoa! Slow down a tad and maybe you can save a motor! Might even save some cash. The heads need to be checked the gasket surface is dead flat. Tolerance on these is very tight. Leaking carbs will cause hydro lock and even decent carbs will leak if the fuel is left on.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168445#p168445:2q73c6x3 said:
slabghost » 11 minutes ago[/url]":2q73c6x3]
Whoa! Slow down a tad and maybe you can save a motor! Might even save some cash. The heads need to be checked the gasket surface is dead flat. Tolerance on these is very tight. Leaking carbs will cause hydro lock and even decent carbs will leak if the fuel is left on.
My thoughts exactly.
No compression in a cylinder is likely always a bad or bent valve and doesn't mean the engine needs replaced.

Sounds to me like most of the issues are head related. You really should learn to set up the belts and timing on your own. Its not that difficult and can be done with basic tools you probably already have. It will give you a better understanding of how things work AND it will save you money! For as complex and well built as these machines are, they are surprisingly easy and forgiving to work on. So long as you take your time and do your home work you will find it to be an incredibly rewarding experience.

Why do all the pretty ones keep you on your toes and seem to cost plenty of money? :doh:

Thanks for the replies guys. I do realize that I did not necessarily have to replace the motor but at the time I was knee deep in finishing another project, and doing tons of stuff on my older Chevy truck. I got a very nice deal on the motor from Green's and decided to just buy it. It's funny what you mentioned slabghost because that is exactly what happened to the second motor. Gas got into a cylinder and when I went to start it CLANK. Now I have two old motors that I am going to tackle someday. Learn how to rebuild one or both. I have very little money in both of the motors. I will take the head to a machinist I know and see that it is level, had not thought of it. Or do I need to take it to someone? Have not tried that myself.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168461#p168461:3klgxyfa said:
bronko37 » Today, 3:35 pm[/url]":3klgxyfa]
Sounds to me like most of the issues are head related. You really should learn to set up the belts and timing on your own. Its not that difficult and can be done with basic tools you probably already have. It will give you a better understanding of how things work AND it will save you money! For as complex and well built as these machines are, they are surprisingly easy and forgiving to work on. So long as you take your time and do your home work you will find it to be an incredibly rewarding experience.

I have done the valve clearances before and it is pretty easy. I'm not the best with the feeler gauge, but I can get it done. But the belts I will leave to my bud. Doesn't cost me anything and gives me piece of mind. He also double checks my valves. So far he has not changed anything I've taken to him.

If this motor is crap, then I am going to have a very pretty parts bike.

Oh I didn't mention it , but I am at about the point where I like working on these old bikes as much as riding them.

Machinest rule against the gasket surface of the head should fit tight enough to block light from the other side. If not a good file and a little time will fix it. Read the wanderer thread. If it's just a tiny bit of light you might do better with a plate of glass and wet/dry paper applied. Both methods are explained and will be repeated if needed.

I have read through the Wanderer thread and what a journey. Not yet completed either. I found a ton of information that I had not known and made some notes. I have the head at a local guy to measure the head I have off and we'll see if there is any variance. One question I have about the timing belts. When I loosened mine the right side pulley turned clockwise while the left side stayed put. Is that normal? I wouldn't mind trying to set my belts but having never done it I have a lot of reservations. Always (and by that I mean i had another 1100 several years ago) had it done by my friend.

Yes the rotation of the cam is normal on the right side. It's valve spring pressure pushing a cam lobe.
As mentioned above. :smilie_happy:

You said the person that helped you reused a head gasket, in most cases that is not a real good idea, also everybody has an opinion, but if I pull a head off of anything I have it resurfaced and magnafluxed (checked for cracks) I know it cost a little, but it will save many do overs.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168618#p168618:2tbwlsbw said:
wedoo2 » Yesterday, 7:24 pm[/url]":2tbwlsbw]
I have read through the Wanderer thread and what a journey. Not yet completed either. I found a ton of information that I had not known and made some notes. I have the head at a local guy to measure the head I have off and we'll see if there is any variance. One question I have about the timing belts. When I loosened mine the right side pulley turned clockwise while the left side stayed put. Is that normal? I wouldn't mind trying to set my belts but having never done it I have a lot of reservations. Always (and by that I mean i had another 1100 several years ago) had it done by my friend.

As others have said, this is normal and just valve train spring pressure.
Though I have or had worked on virtually everything under the sun (or so I thought),
I never had owned a vintage antique bike before and was unfamiliar with some of the paticulars of these old wings.
So I too was quite aprehensive and very cautious considering the critical issues of these interference designed engines when I put timing belts on mine.
In fact I likely annoyed some with my tedious questions about the specifics.
Anyway, l almost without exception I found this forum group to be helpful and patient and as a result with their help I ressurrected my now nice running old 77 wing.
There are excellent tutorials with detailed pictures etc. to help you with this and other potential services available.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168629#p168629:qzugjsq3 said:
Fstsix » Yesterday, 11:07 pm[/url]":qzugjsq3]
That Wing in your Profile Picture is Really NICE ! Wow ! Also your 78 Suzuki 750 was a real competitor for the last years CB750 F Honda SOHC with the Duel over head cams of the Suzuki. Nice Old bike Cool ! still have my 78 CB 750 F3 1/4 mile results here > https://www.vintagemotorcyclesonline.com ... da-cb750f3

I've seen a picture of your 750 before and I think it is the best I have ever seen. Great attention to detail and the Red, Oh the Red. I spent a lot of time on the SOHC forum. Helped me a lot with a project I had with a 350 I did.

100_1290_zpsaaab94f8.jpg

I have read a lot on this forum and have seen the help people have been. Pretty knowledgeable helpers. There are a good amount of mods that are explained, some of which I wouldn't do, but I enjoy the genius of it. Some I might try.

The o-ring in the oil oriface between the head and block is bad, so it is on order and then I will put the head back on. I may try to set the timing chain, we'll see. Just a show of hands, should I use the copper grease on the head gasket or not. Seen differing opinions.

I ran a truck shop for many years, I have had good techs that swore by it, others that cursed it. My thought is the factories don't use it, or any sealers when they put heads gaskets on, so I would be reluctant to use it, besides you would be mixing two different metals and I for one don't know how copper will react with aluminum over a period of time.

Even though it is a bit late for me since I have my motor back in, I looked at the C5 ignition. I see that the GoldWing units are $549. I've read here several times suggestions about throwing one of these on a project. That is quite a throw on. I'm not cheap, heck I bought two motors not knowing what was wrong with the one I had. But that is a lot of money for a hot spark. My two motors didn't cost that.

Now, be kind to me.