Daeouse's GL1200 Freebie Restoration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daeouse

Stubbornly Optimistic!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
2022 Harley Sportster 883 (daily), 1986 GL 1200A "Wing Zero"
Well, the bike will be coming home within the next week or so, so I figured I should begin documenting my restoration/rebuild. It's allegedly a GL1200I (not sure though), and it has been sitting outside for quite some time. I fiddle with it occasionally at the shop it currently sits at, so I've begun building a list of things needed. . .

As it sits now:

Things needed to be bought:
Clutch Master Cylinder Reservoir/Choke Lever Assembly (Left hand control cluster replacement, possibly)
Tires
Brakes
Oil and Filter
New Bulbs and/or fixtures
Chilton/Haynes Manual for offline perusal

Other suggestions?

Possible options during rebuild/restore:
New cables and lines from a local industrial supplier (We use this company for our custom bikes)
New assorted control panels for inner fairing

To be done in time:
Full engine tear-down and rebuild
Full repaint of all panels, boxes, and fairings
Powder-coating/Plating all rusted chrome components

I would greatly appreciate any input or suggestions you all will have. I feel this poor bike deserves to be put back on the road again.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200165#p200165:1lhpidbm said:
Omega Man » 3 minutes ago[/url]":1lhpidbm]
Nice! I saw some of the other pics, did you dig it out of 2 feet of dirt? :shock:

~O~

Nope. Just accumulated elements and massive numbers of other bikes. . . When I can finally get it home, I plan to do a deep pre-build cleaning. . .

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200164#p200164:1pr4m0ja said:
Daeouse » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:17 pm[/url]":1pr4m0ja]
Well, the bike will be coming home within the next week or so, so I figured I should begin documenting my restoration/rebuild. It's allegedly a GL1200I (not sure though), and it has been sitting outside for quite some time. I fiddle with it occasionally at the shop it currently sits at, so I've begun building a list of things needed. . .

As it sits now:

Things needed to be bought:
Clutch Master Cylinder Reservoir/Choke Lever Assembly (Left hand control cluster replacement, possibly)
Tires
Brakes
Oil and Filter
New Bulbs and/or fixtures
Chilton/Haynes Manual for offline perusal

Other suggestions?

Either one of those is great for starting a camp fire, but for working on a GoldWing, they are worthless. PM Sent!

Oh, and if the engine is running right, think twice about tearing the motor down for rebuilding. Bearings are a bitch to find for the crankshaft... ask me how I know.

Have OEM service manual. PM me if you want a copy, I use wetransfer for large files.

Lots of build, restoration projects on this and other forums to look at. Good suggestions and source for parts, OEM, aftermarket, or alternatives because of obsolescence.

I'd look into getting the engine started first. Drain gas, purge system, try to start. Turn engine over by hand, make sure all fluids are good. If engine won't start, wouldn't want to get into too much work; however, the engine will probably start.

Once started, just let it idle - don't need to be revving it up at this point. Check charging system while on the bike - specifically rotor/stator output.

Unless you are going to convert the bike to something other than what it is, I'd look into doing the maintenance such as taking off the rear, lube up the splines. Rebuild brakes, new tires, flush all fluids, give it a cleaning. Once the engine is started, change out timing belts, rebuild carbs - these will probably need done. Once it is safe for the road, insure it, and ride it. Get some enjoyment out of it before you tear it down. Winter is a good time to tear the bike down.

I would also consider renewing, or upgrading the suspension. For the front, Traxxion, Race Tech, Progressive, or OEM springs will make a huge difference. For the rear shocks, rebuild or look into non-air shocks such as Progressives. I have the Race Tech springs and emulator valves in the front of my '85 LTD, and Progressive series 12 shocks in the rear. Good combination and works well.

From doing this you will be able to make a list of what to do and when.

To determine the model and year, Honda data plate is on the side of the steering stem, left side. Looks like this from my bike:
Tally Plate.jpg
It will tell you the year, make and model.

Just thinking out loud. Good luck. Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200172#p200172:uzgwy1f7 said:
Rednaxs60 » 36 minutes ago[/url]":uzgwy1f7]
Looked at your info, your're in Florida. So much for the winter suggestion. :smilie_happy:

Cheers

Yeah, Nice thought though. :mrgreen:

Rednaxs60":uzgwy1f7 said:
Have OEM service manual. PM me if you want a copy, I use wetransfer for large files.

Lots of build, restoration projects on this and other forums to look at. Good suggestions and source for parts, OEM, aftermarket, or alternatives because of obsolescence.

I'd look into getting the engine started first. Drain gas, purge system, try to start. Turn engine over by hand, make sure all fluids are good. If engine won't start, wouldn't want to get into too much work; however, the engine will probably start.

Once started, just let it idle - don't need to be revving it up at this point. Check charging system while on the bike - specifically rotor/stator output.

Unless you are going to convert the bike to something other than what it is, I'd look into doing the maintenance such as taking off the rear, lube up the splines. Rebuild brakes, new tires, flush all fluids, give it a cleaning. Once the engine is started, change out timing belts, rebuild carbs - these will probably need done. Once it is safe for the road, insure it, and ride it. Get some enjoyment out of it before you tear it down. Winter is a good time to tear the bike down.

I would also consider renewing, or upgrading the suspension. For the front, Traxxion, Race Tech, Progressive, or OEM springs will make a huge difference. For the rear shocks, rebuild or look into non-air shocks such as Progressives. I have the Race Tech springs and emulator valves in the front of my '85 LTD, and Progressive series 12 shocks in the rear. Good combination and works well.

From doing this you will be able to make a list of what to do and when.

To determine the model and year, Honda data plate is on the side of the steering stem, left side. Looks like this from my bike: It will tell you the year, make and model.

Just thinking out loud. Good luck. Cheers
file.php

Thanks for the info on the suspension and the suggestion on waking the engine up.
brianinpa sent me a copy of the manual on this site in PDF format. Is your version different?

desertrefugee":uzgwy1f7 said:
Interstate = Analog gauges
Aspencade = Digital gauges

It's a 1985 Interstate, as listed on the plate and the analog guages

Think Brian sent me a copy of the one he bought on-line. I have the 84 to 87, also the Haynes and Chilton. Already had one but never have enough info I say. The electrical troubleshooting manual would be a good one to have as well, want a copy - email required.

Had a better look at the pictures. Needs a bit of TLC before it hits the road. A good find no less. My guestimate after having done 2 - '85 LTDs and browsing the forums, about $2K USD and she'll be good to go. It's surprising how the costs add up. Keep track of mine, not for the faint of heart.

You can get seat covers for your bike - self install. Will forward the sites I have bookmarked regarding.

Good bones to start with. Look forward to following your restoration.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200188#p200188:2lx3zu20 said:
Rednaxs60 » Today, 11:18 am[/url]":2lx3zu20]
Think Brian sent me a copy of the one he bought on-line. I have the 84 to 87, also the Haynes and Chilton. Already had one but never have enough info I say. The electrical troubleshooting manual would be a good one to have as well, want a copy - email required.

Had a better look at the pictures. Needs a bit of TLC before it hits the road. A good find no less. My guestimate after having done 2 - '85 LTDs and browsing the forums, about $2K USD and she'll be good to go. It's surprising how the costs add up. Keep track of mine, not for the faint of heart.

You can get seat covers for your bike - self install. Will forward the sites I have bookmarked regarding.

Good bones to start with. Look forward to following your restoration.

Cheers

I'll message you shortly.

I know it will cost a bit, but I'm patient. I want to do some custom work during the restoration, so more of a Resto-mod, but anyways. . . LOL

I plan on buying a whole new seat if possible. . . The foam in this one is pretty much done. . . it's almost powder. . .

I love the challenge!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200195#p200195:3gd46gyp said:
slabghost » 14 minutes ago[/url]":3gd46gyp]
What kind of mods?

Gold powder-coating all the chrome bits (rails, etc), custom white-pearl (metallic grey accent panels) paint, repainted wheels, maximum lights (all add-ons available), upgraded stereo components, upgraded suspension, braided stainless lines for everything possible.

Anything you all recommend for maximum "wow factor"?

I looked on Ebay for a while and was able to buy a Honda OEM shop repair manual and a Honda OEM electrical diagnostic and repair manual specific to my 1985 GL1200I interstate, same bike you have. If you are persistant maybe you can do the same? I do not recall how much I paid but they were well worth it. I did an ebay search and do not see either one available right now, might keep checking.

Dave / Believer45

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200197#p200197:3irzk4i5 said:
Rednaxs60 » 33 minutes ago[/url]":3irzk4i5]
Here's a seat. Price is right considering. https://www.straightwings.com/store/84-t ... L1200.html

Cheers

I saved the link! I'll definitely check it out!

Believer45":3irzk4i5 said:
I looked on Ebay for a while and was able to buy a Honda OEM shop repair manual and a Honda OEM electrical diagnostic and repair manual specific to my 1985 GL1200I interstate, same bike you have. If you are persistant maybe you can do the same? I do not recall how much I paid but they were well worth it. I did an ebay search and do not see either one available right now, might keep checking.

Dave / Believer45

I've gotten several PDF's from the fine gentlemen on here. I shall purchase other manuals as needed. Thanks!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200200#p200200:3fgmb9tp said:
Omega Man » Today, 12:49 am[/url]":3fgmb9tp]
Sweet new avatar. :cool:

~O~

:hi: Thank you kindly!

UPDATE!

This weekend I have ordered the lever and switch assembly for the clutch side. It should be here later this month!

I am also coordinating with a friend to transport the bike home from the shop it sits at. Once it's home, the evaluation and testing will begin!

UPDATE!

The bike is now home, as a friend helped me move it this evening. The Lever assembly also came in today, so work can begin soon!

Also: I think Freebie may have made my friend fall in love with GL1200's and Gl1100's. . . :mrgreen:
If he can get the second red 1200 I mentioned in my previous topic, He'll be joining the forum to share his rebuild project.

Latest posts