LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently May 21st, 2018, 6:27 pm
Who Is Online: brianinpa, chilidawg, Donpauli2, frankroche, jeff1, RuDogGL, wingrider ....1 guest(s) viewing this forum
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Repairs and Modifications » Restorations

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Forum rules

This forum is strictly for members documenting a current or past restoration and the discussion of those restorations.
It is not for discussions about repairs or modifications.
Please use the appropriate model forums for these other discussions.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#1  Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2018, 5:17 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Total Posts: 240
Active Topics: 12

Total Images: 24
Local time: May 21st, 2018, 10:27 pm
My Bike Models: 2001 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic

1985 GL1200I Interstate

Others in the future. . .

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Well, the bike will be coming home within the next week or so, so I figured I should begin documenting my restoration/rebuild. It's allegedly a GL1200I (not sure though), and it has been sitting outside for quite some time. I fiddle with it occasionally at the shop it currently sits at, so I've begun building a list of things needed. . .

As it sits now:

Things needed to be bought:
Clutch Master Cylinder Reservoir/Choke Lever Assembly (Left hand control cluster replacement, possibly)
Tires
Brakes
Oil and Filter
New Bulbs and/or fixtures
Chilton/Haynes Manual for offline perusal

Other suggestions?

Possible options during rebuild/restore:
New cables and lines from a local industrial supplier (We use this company for our custom bikes)
New assorted control panels for inner fairing

To be done in time:
Full engine tear-down and rebuild
Full repaint of all panels, boxes, and fairings
Powder-coating/Plating all rusted chrome components

I would greatly appreciate any input or suggestions you all will have. I feel this poor bike deserves to be put back on the road again.

Jon "Daeouse" aka "Squirrel"
Mistake Maker Extraordinaire
Rabid Oldwing Enthusiast
"Builder of Freebie"

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#2  Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Global Moderator
Site supporter

Total Posts: 6479
Active Topics: 518

Total Images: 254
Local time: May 21st, 2018, 6:27 pm
My Bike Models: Current Lover
1993 GL1500 Aspencade
Past Lovers
1979 XS 850,
1975 GL1000,
1982 GL1100 Interstate

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Nice! I saw some of the other pics, did you dig it out of 2 feet of dirt? :shock:

~O~

Did you check the angle of that dongles' dangle?
...Glo-Wing!...
"George Merriweather{VegasWingnut}" is da MAN!
....................Image.......................

............."Classic GoldWings Forum"...............
.........We think Outside of the Box here

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#3  Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

1985 GL1200I Interstate

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Nice! I saw some of the other pics, did you dig it out of 2 feet of dirt? :shock:

~O~

Nope. Just accumulated elements and massive numbers of other bikes. . . When I can finally get it home, I plan to do a deep pre-build cleaning. . .

Rabid Oldwing Enthusiast
"Builder of Freebie"

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#4  Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Site supporter
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 5778
Active Topics: 162

Total Images: 368
My Bike Models: 1984 GL1200 Standard - 18,000 miles

1987 GL1200 Interstate - 61,000

Profile Personal album

Well, the bike will be coming home within the next week or so, so I figured I should begin documenting my restoration/rebuild. It's allegedly a GL1200I (not sure though), and it has been sitting outside for quite some time. I fiddle with it occasionally at the shop it currently sits at, so I've begun building a list of things needed. . .

As it sits now:

Things needed to be bought:
Clutch Master Cylinder Reservoir/Choke Lever Assembly (Left hand control cluster replacement, possibly)
Tires
Brakes
Oil and Filter
New Bulbs and/or fixtures
Chilton/Haynes Manual for offline perusal

Other suggestions?

Either one of those is great for starting a camp fire, but for working on a GoldWing, they are worthless. PM Sent!

Oh, and if the engine is running right, think twice about tearing the motor down for rebuilding. Bearings are a bitch to find for the crankshaft... ask me how I know.

Brian
Retired US Navy 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5  Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 824
Active Topics: 50

Total Images: 5
My Bike Models: 1985 GL1200 LTD (2)
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Profile Personal album

Have OEM service manual. PM me if you want a copy, I use wetransfer for large files.

Lots of build, restoration projects on this and other forums to look at. Good suggestions and source for parts, OEM, aftermarket, or alternatives because of obsolescence.

I'd look into getting the engine started first. Drain gas, purge system, try to start. Turn engine over by hand, make sure all fluids are good. If engine won't start, wouldn't want to get into too much work; however, the engine will probably start.

Once started, just let it idle - don't need to be revving it up at this point. Check charging system while on the bike - specifically rotor/stator output.

Unless you are going to convert the bike to something other than what it is, I'd look into doing the maintenance such as taking off the rear, lube up the splines. Rebuild brakes, new tires, flush all fluids, give it a cleaning. Once the engine is started, change out timing belts, rebuild carbs - these will probably need done. Once it is safe for the road, insure it, and ride it. Get some enjoyment out of it before you tear it down. Winter is a good time to tear the bike down.

I would also consider renewing, or upgrading the suspension. For the front, Traxxion, Race Tech, Progressive, or OEM springs will make a huge difference. For the rear shocks, rebuild or look into non-air shocks such as Progressives. I have the Race Tech springs and emulator valves in the front of my '85 LTD, and Progressive series 12 shocks in the rear. Good combination and works well.

From doing this you will be able to make a list of what to do and when.

To determine the model and year, Honda data plate is on the side of the steering stem, left side. Looks like this from my bike:
Attachment:
Tally Plate.jpg
It will tell you the year, make and model.

Just thinking out loud. Good luck. Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

"When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#6  Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Site supporter

2008 GL1800 (sold)

Profile Personal album

Looked at your info, your're in Florida. So much for the winter suggestion. :smilie_happy:

Cheers

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#7  Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2018, 7:02 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1217
Active Topics: 80

Total Images: 44
Local time: May 21st, 2018, 7:27 pm
My Bike Models: - '97 Valkyrie Bumblebee Tourer that Honda never made!

- '78 GL1000 - custom and evolving

- '79 CBX-Z - a work in progress

Profile Personal album

Interstate = Analog gauges
Aspencade = Digital gauges

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#8  Unread postPosted: February 5th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

1985 GL1200I Interstate

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Looked at your info, your're in Florida. So much for the winter suggestion. :smilie_happy:

Cheers

Yeah, Nice thought though. :mrgreen:

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Have OEM service manual. PM me if you want a copy, I use wetransfer for large files.

Lots of build, restoration projects on this and other forums to look at. Good suggestions and source for parts, OEM, aftermarket, or alternatives because of obsolescence.

I'd look into getting the engine started first. Drain gas, purge system, try to start. Turn engine over by hand, make sure all fluids are good. If engine won't start, wouldn't want to get into too much work; however, the engine will probably start.

Once started, just let it idle - don't need to be revving it up at this point. Check charging system while on the bike - specifically rotor/stator output.

Unless you are going to convert the bike to something other than what it is, I'd look into doing the maintenance such as taking off the rear, lube up the splines. Rebuild brakes, new tires, flush all fluids, give it a cleaning. Once the engine is started, change out timing belts, rebuild carbs - these will probably need done. Once it is safe for the road, insure it, and ride it. Get some enjoyment out of it before you tear it down. Winter is a good time to tear the bike down.

I would also consider renewing, or upgrading the suspension. For the front, Traxxion, Race Tech, Progressive, or OEM springs will make a huge difference. For the rear shocks, rebuild or look into non-air shocks such as Progressives. I have the Race Tech springs and emulator valves in the front of my '85 LTD, and Progressive series 12 shocks in the rear. Good combination and works well.

From doing this you will be able to make a list of what to do and when.

To determine the model and year, Honda data plate is on the side of the steering stem, left side. Looks like this from my bike:
Attachment:
Tally Plate.jpg
It will tell you the year, make and model.

Just thinking out loud. Good luck. Cheers

Thanks for the info on the suspension and the suggestion on waking the engine up.
brianinpa sent me a copy of the manual on this site in PDF format. Is your version different?

desertrefugee wrote:
Interstate = Analog gauges
Aspencade = Digital gauges

It's a 1985 Interstate, as listed on the plate and the analog guages

Rabid Oldwing Enthusiast
"Builder of Freebie"

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#9  Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2018, 7:18 am

Site supporter

2008 GL1800 (sold)

Profile Personal album

Think Brian sent me a copy of the one he bought on-line. I have the 84 to 87, also the Haynes and Chilton. Already had one but never have enough info I say. The electrical troubleshooting manual would be a good one to have as well, want a copy - email required.

Had a better look at the pictures. Needs a bit of TLC before it hits the road. A good find no less. My guestimate after having done 2 - '85 LTDs and browsing the forums, about $2K USD and she'll be good to go. It's surprising how the costs add up. Keep track of mine, not for the faint of heart.

You can get seat covers for your bike - self install. Will forward the sites I have bookmarked regarding.

Good bones to start with. Look forward to following your restoration.

Cheers

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#10  Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

1985 GL1200I Interstate

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Think Brian sent me a copy of the one he bought on-line. I have the 84 to 87, also the Haynes and Chilton. Already had one but never have enough info I say. The electrical troubleshooting manual would be a good one to have as well, want a copy - email required.

Had a better look at the pictures. Needs a bit of TLC before it hits the road. A good find no less. My guestimate after having done 2 - '85 LTDs and browsing the forums, about $2K USD and she'll be good to go. It's surprising how the costs add up. Keep track of mine, not for the faint of heart.

You can get seat covers for your bike - self install. Will forward the sites I have bookmarked regarding.

Good bones to start with. Look forward to following your restoration.

Cheers

I'll message you shortly.

I know it will cost a bit, but I'm patient. I want to do some custom work during the restoration, so more of a Resto-mod, but anyways. . . LOL

I plan on buying a whole new seat if possible. . . The foam in this one is pretty much done. . . it's almost powder. . .

I love the challenge!

Rabid Oldwing Enthusiast
"Builder of Freebie"

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#11  Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14746
Active Topics: 148

Total Images: 112
My Bike Models: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

What kind of mods?

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#12  Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

1985 GL1200I Interstate

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
What kind of mods?

Gold powder-coating all the chrome bits (rails, etc), custom white-pearl (metallic grey accent panels) paint, repainted wheels, maximum lights (all add-ons available), upgraded stereo components, upgraded suspension, braided stainless lines for everything possible.

Anything you all recommend for maximum "wow factor"?

Rabid Oldwing Enthusiast
"Builder of Freebie"

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#13  Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Site supporter

2008 GL1800 (sold)

Profile Personal album

Here's a seat. Price is right considering. http://www.straightwings.com/store/84-t ... L1200.html

Cheers

Ernest

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#14  Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Total Posts: 32
Active Topics: 7

Local time: May 21st, 2018, 9:27 pm
My Bike Models: 1985 GL1200I, solution to my mid-life crisis

Profile Personal album

I looked on Ebay for a while and was able to buy a Honda OEM shop repair manual and a Honda OEM electrical diagnostic and repair manual specific to my 1985 GL1200I interstate, same bike you have. If you are persistant maybe you can do the same? I do not recall how much I paid but they were well worth it. I did an ebay search and do not see either one available right now, might keep checking.

Dave / Believer45

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#15  Unread postPosted: February 6th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

1985 GL1200I Interstate

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Here's a seat. Price is right considering. http://www.straightwings.com/store/84-t ... L1200.html

Cheers

I saved the link! I'll definitely check it out!

Believer45 wrote:
I looked on Ebay for a while and was able to buy a Honda OEM shop repair manual and a Honda OEM electrical diagnostic and repair manual specific to my 1985 GL1200I interstate, same bike you have. If you are persistant maybe you can do the same? I do not recall how much I paid but they were well worth it. I did an ebay search and do not see either one available right now, might keep checking.

Dave / Believer45

I've gotten several PDF's from the fine gentlemen on here. I shall purchase other manuals as needed. Thanks!

Rabid Oldwing Enthusiast
"Builder of Freebie"

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently May 21st, 2018, 6:27 pm