Ansimp's '81 Resurrection

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It all started with a post from Ansimp looking for someone to revive the '81 1100 he had purchased. He lives in Brisbane, Australia, and the bike was in La Verne, CA., condition unknown. It was last registered in 1995, and possibly last run in 2000. The pics looked good, and the mileage is only 27K, so it's a worthy candidate for a resurrection project. He will arrive in Los Angeles in August, so there's 5 months to get her goin. I offered my services - if I could make room in my garage!

Several emails and phone calls later, I found myself in La Verne looking at this gem:

I finally got her into the garage...

The gas tank is hopelessly rusted and corroded, so it needs to come out. After removing the trunk, bags and seat, there was evidence of a previous occupant...

The shelter was very difficult to remove, and bits and pieces were falling out everywhere, and here's why:

After cleaning out the nests, I found chewed wiring and lots of urine rust.

End of day 1.

Critters made an awful mess in there. That bike is the same color and the same bags and fairing I have on my 80.

dan filipi":12ge8nki said:
Looks like quite a project!

What is first on the list, besides cleaning up after the prior tenants?

Hopefully Steve can jury rig it so that we can find out if the engine is ok. A second hand set of carbies is on the way off a runner, so hopefully that will allow Steve to get a fire in its belly with some constructive wiring and a remote fuel source. Fingers crossed :party:

Day 2...

I pretty much have all the rats' nests removed. I pulled the radiator (the cooland looked like new!), changed the oil and filter, and removed the timing belt covers. I cleaned out around the spark plugs, removed them and shot some ATF into the cylinders. Then, slowly, I turned the engine and it moved freely for almost a full revolution, then there was some light resistance. Probably light rust on the cylinder wall, so I'll let it soak overnight.

There'e still plenty to clean, and lots of wiring to repair, but the priority is getting the engine running. A (hopefully) good set of carbs is on the way, so I don't need to mess with these for now. I'll try Dan's brew and soak these for a week or so once they're off the bike.

There is still 10+ year-old gas in the tank, so I checked the fuel pump. It's very clean.

The diaphragm is nice and flexible. Woo-hoo!

The fun part - removed the rear wheel, shocks, battery tray, and finally, the tank. As Dan said when we pulled the tank from his parts bike, the old gas looks like Simple Green! I wish it smelled like it...

End of Day 2.

Tomorrow, it the engine turns freely, jumper cables, spin the engine to test for oil pressure and spark, and possibly starting fluid! Time for a video...

steve if your to stick at freeing it up ...do by hand with crankbolt ....do a lot of back and forth movememt as this breaks it up better and dose not put all the pressure on oneside of the rings ....you dont want to pack the ring groove full of crap and stick the rings ...go slow so it can clear itself ...looks like a great collaberation .... :clapping:

Joe thanks for the great advice , I am sure that Steve will appreciate it. :good:

Day 3...

Today was a short day, as I took Mom and Dad to doctor appointments. However, the engine turns free and smooth all the way around! I attached a piece of 1/4" clear tubing to the shop vac and stuck it down the spark plug holes, and cylinders 1, 2, and 3 had clean ATF, and #4 had fairly dirty fluid, so I know where the rust was. I shot a little more fluid into all 4 holes, turned the crank maybe 15 revolutions, and will let it sit overnight.

With the oil and coolant that I drained out being in such good shape, and the engine turning so smoothly, I feel really confident that she's gonna run sweet! The throttle plates in the carbs are seized tight, so I'm not gonna try starting fluid until the replacement carbs arrive, are checked out and installed. The timing belts look good, but will be replaced anyway. The plug wires and boots, and even part of the air cleaner box were partially devoured by the ungrateful tenants!

Sorry, but no pics or videos today. :( I doubt it would be very exciting to see a ratchet and socket turning the crank bolt... Tomorrow, hopefully the carbs arrive.

End of day 3 Hasta manana!

Day 4...

The carbs arrived in the mail! They're a bit dirty, but look to be in excellent condition. Everything moves freely - throttle, choke, vacuum sliders, floats and needle valves. The floats are all set right. It's SO much easier disconnecting the throttle cables when the gas tank is out!

So the replacement carbs are installed along with new oil and a filter. The engine turns free by hand, so it's time for the jumper cables. With the spark plugs out, I spun the engine with the starter until the oil light went out. Then 3 more 10-second spins to get the oil everywhere. New plugs were gapped and installed, and now, the moment of truth...

It lives! Starting fluid (no gas supply yet), and because the neutral switch wire is chewed through, I had to hold in the clutch with my left hand and press the starter switch and hold the camera with my right. I couldn't open the throttle, but now I know the ignition system is functional, compression is good, and no major internal issues. Once all the extra oil is burned out of the upper cylinders, the starter drag should stop.

A good day!

End of day 4.

Tomorrow, an exhaust system will be installed and I'll rig a fuel supply to evaluate the carbs. I also have a tripod - somewhere - so I can get better vids.

Gotta love Steve!! :good: :clapping: :good: :clapping:
You can't believe how good it was to see life in the old girl. I need to stop re watching your video now. Really looking forward to seeing the next instalment. Congratulations on a fantastic job Steve, you can't imagine how happy you have made me.
:party: :party: :party:

Thanks for the kind words, Tony, and I know the Rat's Nest will continue to improve! I'm looking forward to having her running on gasoline and with mufflers so I can hear the machine and not the exhaust. She may be a diamond after all!

Latest posts