Dad's 82

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
I wish I could do magic - I would make this bike my own! What a beauty! I hope to get her running as good as she looks, and yes, there will be plenty of pics!

She needs tires, and while the rear wheel is off, I'll pull and clean the gas tank. At the same time, the carbs will be gone through - hopefully all the rubber parts will be OK. New timing belts, air & fuel filters and spark plugs, a valve adjustment, flush and refill the cooling system, and an oil & filter change should get the engine in good shape.

The rear brake pedal has no resistance, so either a flush and bleed, or a master cylinder rebuild will be needed. I haven't looked at the pads yet - front or rear.

A new battery is on it's way. I'm in the process of checking the electrical system, and so far, so good.

I gotta say - those U-Haul motorcycle trailers are wonderful! Easy loading, plenty of tie-downs, and the bikes didn't budge during the 130 mile trip yesterday, or the 80 mile trip today. Under $60 for 2 days vs around $500 for 2 towing jobs...

Here we go again!

Well, she's naked, and ready for the cleaning and renewing to begin. There was a mess of wiring in and around the fairing from an aftermarket stereo, CB, and some driving lights. Fortunately, there was minimal butchering of the original wiring.

No broken, rusty or stripped bolts so far - sweet!!!

Belonged to the widow of a long time GWRRA member who we met through another member when we ( my brother Kim) went to have a look at his mint 85 1200I. Rod had purchased his 1200I from Linda and her late husband years prior and had been on many rides with them. Rod put us in touch with Linda and was instrumental in our purchase of this great 1100I. The bike hasn't really been used for over four years and will require some of Steve's expert touch to have her fully operational again.

Didn't get much done on the bike today, just a little cleaning. I did sadly see the shifter shaft seal is seeping slightly, :roll: and possibly also the water pump. One easy, the other - a bit more involved...

Gonna pull the radiator to flush it out, which also makes changing the timing belts and checking the water pump so much easier.

Steve83":6czkmmve said:
Didn't get much done on the bike today, just a little cleaning. I did sadly see the shifter shaft seal is seeping slightly, :roll: and possibly also the water pump. One easy, the other - a bit more involved...

Gonna pull the radiator to flush it out, which also makes changing the timing belts and checking the water pump so much easier.
I'll have to replace the shifter seal on my next oil change,had it around for some time hopefully i'll find it before the time comes up :popcorn:

dan filipi":3qm72gbf said:
With such a long trip coming up, may not want to risk it but the pump may seal on its own with running hours. That is if the bearing is good.

Yup - my thoughts exactly. I'll test it for any side-to-side bearing play first. With the low mileage, the bearings should - hopefully - be OK.

:beg:

No small detail escapes the eagle eye of Steve the Master Craftsman! Well Done, Steve!

It wouldn't be any fun, or very interesting, unless there were some challenges along the way...

Tony summed up the bike's history well. This planned 5k August trip to Sturgis (Dad and 2 brothers) would never have been possible without meeting some amazing GoldWing fans like Rod McLauchlin, his lovely wife Jane, and their good friend and riding partner Linda who pointed us to the right machine.

The real Magician breathing life back into these time machines however, is Steve, the mechanical genius!

Thank YOU ALL!

The Wade Boys

Dad (Western Australia)
Tony (Queensland, Australia)
Kim (Orange County, CA)

Latest posts