Mild restoration on my Dads '75

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeyFan

Reaction score
So Dads had this Goldwing for as long as I can remember. Used it to commute to work mostly but I do remember a few times he went out just for giggles. He retired in the early '90s and moved to the mountains of VA. He soon got bored and got a part time job with a company car so the bike was parked in a shed. I've been after him to let me have it for a while and last time I was there we noticed the roof was caving in. He gave in and said he doubted he could hold it up anymore so I might as well take it. This is what it looked like.

768ACD62-0F5D-47C2-97C5-E214591E31AB_zpss3f5pm6v.jpg

The plan is to get it back on the road add a sidecar and give it back to him this spring. It would make a nice fathers day surprise I think.

I've been hitting ebay and finding most of the the stuff that needs replacing but so far everything looks solid.

82D681D4-DFB2-4BA4-A253-F5336B25960E_zpsj5x7ou0j.jpg

It came apart nicely and I wasn't going to pull the motor or the swingarm but once I found out the gas tank wouldn't come out unless i did, well....

CE6A3091-B5AA-4A49-BB9A-5F5410B0ED2E_zps02lcshzi.jpg

I've started cleaning and so far I'm pretty happy.

94591443-103C-4A39-8FD9-A4921057CA9C_zpsivkgxq1i.jpg

BACC607D-97F1-481C-8D56-91EA9E897BD0_zpszkcucr6l.jpg

Are the rubber pieces supposed to slide off the intake runner like that?

Anybody have an extra one of these?

362BAA98-60A9-4CC7-BF08-14E550DC506F_zpsqtvisdp4.jpg

Here's another question, how hard should it be to run it through the gears sitting on the bench? I turned the motor with a wrench and had a hard time getting it in gear and now I can't seem to get it back out.

Clutches sometimes stick after years of sitting so you may need to pull the clutch apart and separate the plates. No the rubber pieces should not come off the intake horns.

Your off to a fine start. You might just pick up some new/used runners on epay, seen them for as little as 15 for a set and less corrosion. ..It`s up to you though, if you feel the rubber is strong and isnt cracking and you have faith in the glue then go for it.
Looks like you have the aftermarket Lester wheels too :good:
Also, I use duct tape to cover the rubber boot with when polishing.

Ok so my parts list is growing by the day. Some of it I figure I can wait on and replace later, some of them are going to be a deal breaker. Rust has worked is way into and onto almost every part I've touched. There will be more than one formerly chrome now painted part on here and as long as I can keep it to a minimum I'm ok with it. One of the big ones I don't want to paint is the front fender. It'll clean up but if I ever slow down it's going to get ugly fast.

40B61211-9CBD-4533-A6BF-69B4DFED83BC_zps9fpopvnw.jpg

As it stands now most of the headlight bucket and mounts will be black.

The forks are also affected but I think they will be ok for now. I'm planning on cleaning them up and replacing the fork seals.

DC27571D-671B-482D-8790-9A56AF8AD94D_zpsvfoinxjp.jpg

Like Joe said lots of cleaning for now.

5F6F8475-591D-463E-A37F-07F22BA31F10_zps5vjvq5ym.jpg

76A04745-E8E5-428D-9FFE-53FEEF37193F_zpsg6u8db8h.jpg

I found this when I pulled the coils.

6E20BAC0-8E1C-41F0-B82F-F360ABDF7E3A_zpst0qovb3z.jpg

Is that part of the Dyna conversion?

So before I hit ebay I figured I'd ask here if anybody wants to get rid of some parts. The must have parts so far are left exhaust header (rotted) Rear caliper and master cylinder (seized). Or I'd gladly take suggestions on how to get the pistons moving again. :thanks: :salute:

rear master may still move. often it's the pedal pivot that is bound up. I'd try cleaning that up first. Caliper will often push out the piston if you open the bleeder and pump in grease with a grease gun attached to the bleeder. Those don't look like dyna coils to me. Forks look pretty iffy but if they aren't pitted may still be serviceable.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138692#p138692:3dvb6ecn said:
HockeyFan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:10 pm[/url]":3dvb6ecn]
Rust has worked is way into and onto almost every part I've touched.

Well....either get some gloves, or quit touching stuff!! :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:
sorry...you walked yerself right into that one.... :hihihi:
I think those forks might be a problem. They might clean up well enough to survive for a while, but from the looks of it, they'll prolly start leaking eventually. Definitely worth a shot to try them first. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138703#p138703:1q679q0a said:
slabghost » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:26 pm[/url]":1q679q0a]
rear master may still move. often it's the pedal pivot that is bound up. I'd try cleaning that up first. Caliper will often push out the piston if you open the bleeder and pump in grease with a grease gun attached to the bleeder. Those don't look like dyna coils to me. Forks look pretty iffy but if they aren't pitted may still be serviceable.

The pivot was stuck. So was the piston in the master cylinder and the caliper. Been soaking them in PB blaster and hitting them with 130 psi of air and they haven't moved. I'll try the grease trick on the caliper next.

AApple":1q679q0a said:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138692#p138692:1q679q0a said:
HockeyFan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:10 pm[/url]":1q679q0a]
Rust has worked is way into and onto almost every part I've touched.

Well....either get some gloves, or quit touching stuff!! :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:
sorry...you walked yerself right into that one.... :hihihi:
I think those forks might be a problem. They might clean up well enough to survive for a while, but from the looks of it, they'll prolly start leaking eventually. Definitely worth a shot to try them first. :good:

The pitting seems to be above where the seals should reach so I hope it holds for a while. Just buying some time at this point though.

Discovered something odd while cleaning the motor tonight.

7E7A636B-CE1C-45AB-A5F6-BF65640A1ADB_zpstarsuynf.jpg

Shouldn't that number match this one?

0651112D-B576-4B98-9600-DDD92E3E60D5_zpsmqdt9wfh.jpg

I'm trying to keep the work I'm doing on the down low as far as my Dad goes so I haven't called him to ask many questions about stuff like this. I know he had this bike in the early '80s but I'm not sure how much earlier he bought it. Seems odd that it would have had a motor swap done so early.

those numbers never match up. a fellow here has several types of old Hondas. He says he has never seen frame and engine nos on Hondas match.
the rust seems to be the biggest issue with that one.. :popcorn:

Once upon a time, I had a bookmark for a website that you could tell if the motor was the right year for the frame because they never match each other. I had to format my hard drive and lost it.

Hondachoppers.com does that for the sohc engines,not sure about wings

Latest posts