Would this relay work?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckxxxx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about adding a relay for the ignition on my '82. I have have a couple of these kicking around my garage for the past 20 years and am wondering if they would be suitable. They have 12vdc coils and contacts are rated at 10a @ 120vac or 30vdc.

What do you think?

Thanks
Brian

im on thin ice here not sure on the numbers game .... but i have used the cheaper relays and they suck ... a wire nut it better .. it was dropping voltage right at the relay ...junk junk junk

I've used the cheap light relays with no problem. The one on my KZ is about 5 years old now. Electrical items are a crap shoot. Some are reliable and last while others fail quickly.

I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. :builder: I have two of them so, as long as it is mounted in an accessible location, I can carry the other as a spare and plug it in if needed.

Now to figure out the wiring... :headscratch:

It says 7.5 amps at 30VDC general use so it might be rated at barely enough but that doesn't mean it won't handle the load.
Spares that don't cost anything are better tried than buying something that might fail anyhow, those look like quality relays.

Is that a modular/socket base mount or is it directly (soldered) attached to the relay? Sometimes these style of relays don't perform well in a moving/vibrating environment as they may of been designed for a fixed installation.

The relay plugs into the base with with 8 pins. It's pretty hard to pull the relay out of the base but you make a good point about vibration...might be an issue. As you know, a GW doesn't hardly vibrate at all. :Egyptian:

You probably wouldn't want to mount it pointing down or to the side. :nea: Also you could put a zip tie around it. :fishin:

Brian

Did a bit of searching about how to wire in relay: looks like power to coils only is what is switched. I was thinking to switch power to all ignition loads after the kill switch, that is coils and igniters but I guess that is not necessary...just switch coils. Is that right?

I am running Neon coils and the OE ballast resistor. My thinking there was that coil resistance is .7 ohms so with ballast resistor, resistance is about 3 ohms which is needed to not destroy the igniters. Is that right?

The wires going to/from resistor are very skinny...probably #16. Is there anything I can do about that?

Thanks
Brian

hmmm ok i think you want to relay from back side of kill switch going to ignition ...that will do relay from there back starter button included ..forward would be sparkers coils and all as i see it ...at the moment

Primary thing you want fresh feed to are the coils. Use the coil feed wire to activate the relay and run the new feed through the relay from the battery side of the solenoid. Do a search for " wiredgeorges coil mod" for more details.

I now have this relay in my '82 with 1200 engine to switch the electric fuel pump and power to the coils, with separate NO contacts. I have two of them and one has already gone flakey: fuel pump still works but ignition dead sometimes. The other seems be working OK.

I've had these relays for at least 20 years and they were used when I got them so life expectancy is unknown. Don't really want to leave home without a spare relay.

I'm wondering what relays you guys are using for this sort of thing. Would be nice to find another 8 pin relay that would just plug into my base.

Thanks Brian

In a way I am glad that your other relays failed because it at least confirmed what I believed that they were only suitable for a fixed installation ( something that doesn't move ). The automotive relay that you have bought should be fine ( some cheap brands are good and some are crappy) but this is a changeover relay so you won't have 2 switched circuits with it. One circuit is normally closed ( 30-87a) and the other is normally open ( 30-87 closes when the relay coil is energised). Just pair your 2 circuits to the 87 terminal or you can buy some 5 pin relays that have twin 87 pins but there really isnt much difference. I prefer to use the modular relay mounting blocks that come with your relays so that you can swap relays easily or use a jumper wire if one fails. :good:

I have these relays on my 1200 LTD and have no issues to date. I use one relay to a new accessory fuse block that I power accessories and the coils from. I replaced the horns as well and use a relay to power them. Recommend browsing at Princess Auto if you have one nearby, browsing there gives me ideas and it has a lot of great stuff that is useful including these auto relays.

Cheers

Sunday morning idle thoughts:

Just ordered a package of 5 relays and sockets off the internet.

Plan A is to ground the headlight relay through the neutral switch so the headlight is off when you're in neutral.

Another thought is to have a coil relay that is powered by the starter button so you have full power (12V) at the coils when starting.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186245#p186245:11895ou5 said:
Rednaxs60 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:44 pm[/url]":11895ou5]
I have these relays on my 1200 LTD and have no issues to date. I use one relay to a new accessory fuse block that I power accessories and the coils from. I replaced the horns as well and use a relay to power them. Recommend browsing at Princess Auto if you have one nearby, browsing there gives me ideas and it has a lot of great stuff that is useful including these auto relays.

Cheers
Good to hear positive review of those relays.

We have a Princess Auto here in Calgary and I agree they have lots of interesting stuff, especially in the surplus section. I have meant to pay them a visit when I saw those relays on Amazon with free shipping so just went ahead and ordered them.

BTW, are you still riding on the island.

Brian