Fairing fixin'

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalterM817

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was getting ready to repaint the fairing on my 82 Interstate for a bit of fun and there are some cracks in the inner fairing that need attention. It's not terrible and I figured why not try to split it inner from outer to do some radio and speaker mods to it. I was wondering if anyone had tried splitting the fairing this way? It appears to be held by adhesive but I figured someone here may have some tips if they had tried this before. If so your help would be much appreciated. Thanks! Walter

The fairing does not come apart. You have to do everything thru the pockets and light holes in the front.
To fix the cracks make a slurrpy mix from acetone and some shavings from black pvc pipe. If the cracks are wide drill, a hole at each end of the crack. This will keep it from cracking further.

thanks for the info! I got out there and looked at it and the edges seem to be continuous so splitting it is a no go. Got some Slurry going on to try the crack fixes. thanks!

I fixed up some thin slurry and in the hairline cracks I used an insulin needle to fill them in. I used a tiny paintbrush to fill in the ones I could separate then I took some nylon trotline to tie closed the cracks. Hope this sounds about right. I'll let her rest for a day then see how I did. I want to upgrade the speakers in the old Clarion units somehow. Has anyone come up with something great or do I hack into the fairing to install something a bit better?

Latest posts