Remote start keyless mod

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooffinder

Reaction score
1996 Gl1500 140k miles

I have a remote start FOB/Controller similar to the attached wiring diagram that I'm looking to hook up to my gl1590. I'm wondering if anyone could assist me in locating the best place on the bike to tap into the starter relay and the ignition relay.

Attachments

• IMG_9067.GIF
    IMG_9067.GIF
    9.9 KB · Views: 350
Interesting project. Is this bike fuel injected? If not how will it set the choke? Looks like the gray wire would be used to energize the start relay (solenoid) but should go through the neutral safety switch. I don't know enough here to help much.

I would think the best place to tap into the ignition relay is at the relay itself. I would do the same for the ignition relay but have no experience with one of those (as in gl1500) I keep asking myself, why would I want/need remote start? While the engine warms up I'm usually standing next to the bike putting my glasses, gloves, & helmet on. Will this also allow starting and riding without having to wrestle with the keys into the ignition? That would be nicer.

I already have the bike bike torn apart and the keyless controller from another project. It's less for the practicallity of it and more of an excuse to drink beer and screw with the bike.

As stated - interesting project. Would work nicely on an FI bike. Considering everything that Honda put on the '85 LTD and '86 SEi, this would just add to the mix.

Had this on my 2003 Arctic Cat Panterra EFI 2 up snowmobile. It was definitely a good topic of discussion over a beer. Did allow for starts without going outside initially, got some good chuckles.

Cheers