Ride-off center stand Question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I happened to see a ride-off center stand on eBay. It's from '83 the seller says.
So without much thought I bought it.
It arrived today but I am having a difficulty mounting it.

IMG_20170717_183133.jpg

1) How can I attach the right hand side to the frame? No bracket/u-bolts came with it.
2) Is it not compatible with engine guard?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193268#p193268:365jbsd1 said:
joedrum » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:06 pm[/url]":365jbsd1]
Wow that's a whole lot different than mine hooks up

Left hand side is similar to yours. Uses two bolts from the subframe.
Can I see your right hand side?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193269#p193269:3sohrcl7 said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 pm[/url]":3sohrcl7]
Hard to say, but I'm not sure that one is for an 1100 Goldwing. Mine is a Bates.

Maybe I should make up brackets like yours. That way I can keep the engine guard.

If memory is right there was one made for the standard and one for the interstate, the reason was clearance of the faring lowers, think the interstate one had a wider stance as well but that could have been an option for either.

Thanks all.

The seller told me he found u-bolts in his stack. He will send them to me.
From the communication with him, his 83 seemed to be a standard (it didn't have factory Interstate/Aspeccade engine guards but probably aftermarket with vertical pipe at the front.)
s-l1600.jpg

Not sure this stand is compatible with stock engine guards.
The seller says his 83 had both engine guard and the stand attached.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193314#p193314:12wq06nl said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:56 pm[/url]":12wq06nl]
Any chance he has a picture of it installed or can tell you how he installed it?

No. He says he got his 83 long time ago removed the stand and sold the bike..

YoU know I don't think I've ever seen two ride off stands that are the same ever...I don't think my stand will except cash bars mounted either ...witch I don't have any ...hooch with its 1200 motor the crash bars were like right against the valve covers ...and probably more a threat to the heads than without them on ...so I took them off ..I needed 1200 bars but they don't actually mount up right either ...so no crash bars for me ..and now with ride off stand ..I'm sure very early 1000 ones crash bars may not even been around yet

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193340#p193340:2jmwb5m6 said:
joedrum » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:33 pm[/url]":2jmwb5m6]
YoU know I don't think I've ever seen two ride off stands that are the same ever...I don't think my stand will except cash bars mounted either ...witch I don't have any ...hooch with its 1200 motor the crash bars were like right against the valve covers ...and probably more a threat to the heads than without them on ...so I took them off ..I needed 1200 bars but they don't actually mount up right either ...so no crash bars for me ..and now with ride off stand ..I'm sure very early 1000 ones crash bars may not even been around yet

Indeed. Every picture of the ride-off stand I see is different.

Not attaching engine guards is certainly an option. :hihihi:
Left hand side can be a problem too because the subframe bolts are too short so with two metal plates there may not be enough threads for the nut.

And it's super easy to adjust valve clearance without the engine guards!

Okay, it's on.
I gave up on the engine guard so used U-bolt from it.
IMG_20170722_174131.jpg

This stand has wacky leaf spring which is too weak.
IMG_20170722_112628.jpg

Bought a coil spring from Lowe's and made this.
IMG_20170722_134658.jpg

The stand hits the ground if I push just a little bit in twisties. Not impressed.

A lot of sports bikes now don't even come with an option for centre stands as they can drag when pushing hard. I would always prefer a centre stand on any chain drive bike that I was going to purchase and I miss not having one on Val. I can see that a ride off stand could compromise handling unless really well engineered. That being said I would rather when the stand drags it only tries to push the rear wheel not the front.

Maybe you need a little more air in the rear shocks? It looks good on there. I'm hoping to find one similar to adapt to my Valk.