1200 into a 1000 chopped

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekvh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
WP_000662.jpg

Trying to figure this out, bear with me. This is the picture of what I got done last winter. I know, I'm slow. This an 85 Magna front end siamesed into gl1200 triple trees on a 1000 frame. A stock 1200 motor stuffed in with help of a hammer.
WP_000973.jpg

Here is where I sit now with a grafted, not finished Magna rear fender and passenger bar. It might stay.

WP_000970.jpg

View attachment 1

Pics of the valve cutouts for 77 heads and carbs. Polished up ready to mount next week I hope.

Attachments

• WP_20121025.jpg
    WP_20121025.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 672
bike and motor look nice eric ...shop looks a little trashy ...gaskits sufaces look great...valve cut looks nice .....cylinders look great too better than mine ...lots of work left to do ....maybe before next spring im hoping ...im just cleaning away today on the 12 and yard work back and forth :builder: :heat: :mrgreen:

joedrum":210689a3 said:
...shop looks a little trashy ...

:shock: :shock: :shock: Oh NO you DINT!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

:smilie_happy: :hihihi: :smilie_happy: :hihihi:

Bike looks GREAT! It has a classic chopper stance....kewl! Engine work looks nice, too. Can't wait to see the final product. :music: :good: :clapping:

oh it looks like a good days work will have it cuising the roads of karlstad...i like the tank ...that seems to fit well ill have to try and maybe find one of those ...take some closer pics and explane how well it fits ....rained all day here yesterday and nothing got done on bike ....its seems your bike is not going to have much stock stuff on it ...my last 1200 project that started out to be the first 1200 project the mongrel going to be a lot like yours i want a gravity feed tank ...ive already have forward controls 1/2 done and welded to frame ...i like the seat arrangment also with tank gone so it can be lower to go with the forward controls im wanting ...great pics :mrgreen:

I think I'm going to try and lower the seat portion of the bike. I was thinking of chopping the tubes an inch next the shocks and then the seat portion above the triangle mounts. I'd go solo seat, but the lady likes to ride too. I'm thinking I won't be comfortable with forward controls because they are out so wide and with one artificial hip and another coming soon, I don't think it's a fit for me. I'll look at it later this winter. I hope to get heads on next week. It would be nice to fire it up for the retorque, then pull it and finish the frame.

Recent nightmare.
image.php

Toying with V65 Magna carbs to be used as downdrafts. 36 mm should flow more. Looks like I either have to narrow the linkage arms to bring the pairs closer together or make risers which taper out a bit, around 0.8 inches wider. I hope to tip them outwards 15-30 degrees and have them at least an inch higher to clear water tubes. Looks like throttle linkage will just require a longer arm. Chokes will be fun, maybe use two cables, one for each side. I hope I don't add another winter's worth of work.

hmmmm what neat parts to work with eric....i like that as good ...actualy better than the webers....im voting strait down into heads and fix linkaged to suit....i like the idea of it but it is going to add to time of project bigtime ...personaly im quite good with stock setup on carbs and have no plans to change the nicely tucked in honda carb rack.... with easy access with a few parts thrown away like heat sheild and rerouted cables :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Switching carbs designed to be side draft to down draft will require a great deal of re-engineering. You might want to use a stock rack until you get this idea figured out. While it does look cool it might also be easier to convert some type of carb that is not CV.

They are down draft on the Magna, or two are down draft and two are side drafts. The only difference in the 85 model, which I am using are spring lengths, and jets. I need to get the same springs for the front two cylinders of the Magna, 2-4, and the same jets, and put them in the 1-3 carbs. It is early in this dream, but it looks like it could work. Will it be better??? I don't know. I'm thinking the 1200 chamber vs the 1000 will need more fuel because of the additional lift of the 1000 cams, but maybe it'll be worse. I may need to jet down some. The first year of the v65, 1983, Honda used 140 mains in all four cylinders and it was almost a full second faster than subsequent years. In mine they dropped it to 120 mains. The front slide used a longer spring since it moved sideways in the bore. Please understand that I am just a surfer and use the internet for my info which is often unreliable, but luckily for you all, I don't know what I'm doing. I take any advice and weigh it. I've been wrong a few times. I'm just doing it as an experiment. It's not my day job. If it doesn't work, I have 77 carbs and 85 gl1200 carbs I can use. You guys and the guys at NGW are my main resources.

The other reason I'm trying this is to drop the whole top of the frames an inch or so. Lower riding with full clearance of the stock bottom.

If one pair is true down draft I'd use them and get another pair just like them for the other side. CV carbs do need a bit of vacuum at the intake side to properly operate so you will likely need air filters that do restrict some in flow. This is an interesting project for sure.

cool... there are many unknowns when working on motor part switching ...like eric says ..its just try and see ...ive got the one 1200 with 1000cams ignitionand fuel pump put together not because i think its the best ...i thought it could be done ...and who knows 1000 camed 1200 with hydro heads and 1200 carbs might realy be somthing i never thought of ...so its done and ready to be considered to try...i find this stuff very satisfying to do

Doh!! ---- Joe, -----who knows 1000 camed 1200 with hydro heads and 1200 carbs might realy be somthing i never thought of.........you never should have written that. Just killed another winter.