GL1000 Self-Cancelling Turn Signals

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Can't be bothered by turn signals when the wheel is coming up, so here's a solution:

Donor was a KZ550LTD.
The speedometers of both the KZ and the GL have 4:1 magnetic reed switches (speed sensors) in them, as most Jap-bikes do, and are the same (wheel turns once, speedo turns 4X).
KZ control unit waits for both conditions to be met: about 4 seconds and counts about 35' before energizing the solenoid and cancelling the turn signal.

0818110518.jpg

0818110518a.jpg

0818110521a.jpg

0818110521b.jpg

0818110522.jpg

Neat idea. Could you show us just how to connect this to our speedo and what other wiring changes maybe needed?

slabghost":376ud01h said:
Neat idea. Could you show us just how to connect this to our speedo and what other wiring changes maybe needed?
Thanks. Yes - I thought I had a color-for-color chart somewhere, but I can't find it. I had to pull the above pics off of my Photobucket account due to a virus on my desktop.
If I cannot locate the chart then I'll make another and update.
I do recall the amount of wiring of the controls were the same aside from the addition of the self-cancelling portion.
Pretty straight-forward swap.

I'll get a wiring diagram up for it soon...
I'll include some options that can have it working on any bike as long as the parts are found or made.
The "speed sensor" and Kawi controller can be used for many different things, ...including nitrous.

I've time this evening to look for my notes on the wiring. I recall writing it all down ...somewhere.

Pics on how it was wired? No. There are two speed sensor wires though. I remember that. It's my stock '78 1000 speedo.
What I had found is that the UJM speedos are pretty much all the same internally. The "sensors" of the era are nothing more than magnetic reed switches, all counting a 4:1 ratio of the front wheel.
I've a somewhat universal "sensor" housing from my trip computer that does exactly what the sensor in the speedo does. I'll put pics up a little later. Just got in and dinner is around the corner...

I'll go through them and write up a diagram. I think I'll have to look at a schem for the 'Wing as well. Been looking at the notes for 20 minutes trying to remember. Chicken-Scratch for notes, true...
Those KZ self-cancelling units are all the same within a span of years, so not much should change from what will be here.

Which wings came with a turn signal buzzer? My 83 I either doesn't have one or it has never worked.....

No beeper but my blue / purple led makes a huge difference on Val.
[video]https://youtu.be/GYIZQcac1NY[/video]

Latest posts