Restoration changes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
Since I received my '82 as a donor bike back in September 2007, I have had to do quite a bit of work to it. It came with a frozen engine (completely blown) and had sat outside for almost 12 years. My girls and I set about restoring the bike and it has been quite a transformation since then. I bought a '81 parts bike on E-Bay for the engine and ended up getting a lot of good stuff from it.

The '81 engine served us well for 2 years, but it had really bad bearings and I was afraid to go more than 30 minutes from home. (Never did blow up, but it should have!)

Recently, I swapped the '81 engine for an '83 that has transformed this bike back to it's hay-days! Since 2007, we have stripped it down, reapinted the frame, rebuilt brakes, swapped wire harnesses, repainted everything, rebuilt parts of the Vetter faring, swapped engines again, removed the floorboards, added a marine AM/FM/CD/iPod radio with new speakers, new drivers backrest, removed the chrome engine covers and changed some wiring. It is amazing how much the bike has changed since day 1.

Attachments

• '83 Avatar.JPG
    '83 Avatar.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 731
  • MVC-012F.JPG
    MVC-012F.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 724
  • MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 722
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 723
  • 1982-2.JPG
    1982-2.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 726
yes jerry you and your pit crew have done a lot , you need to tell me about the seat and backrest i want just what you got , and please tell what you think about backrest dose it improve comfort as much as it looks like it dose. when i get my bike the way i want it im going to have to take it all apart and paint everything .

the story of this bike and you and the girls work is just how its supposed to be couldnt be any better!!!!

Thanks guys! Joe, the story behind the backrest is unusual. The '81 parts bike I bought for the engine had this seat on it. The PO's brother owned the bike first before giving it to him as a college present and did some custom work, the extra chrome, change the exhaust to aftermarket, paint job and a Saddleman road sofa seat with a driver backrest. When the PO got the bike, he wanted to make it into a drag bike and took off the bags, faring and other stuff and welded a custom rack on the back. He took the drivers backrest out, cut the bracket off and welded it to the custom passenger backrest. Well, he wasn't a good welder because when I got the bike, the backrest and rack fell off. Without the bracket, I couldn't re-install it as a drivers backrest.

Fast forward to last fall. By hook or crook, I was able to track down the company that actually made the seat for Saddleman and they sold me a new drivers backrest that fit right into the bracket that was already built into the seat. Slightly different pattern, but same vinyl. How does it work? Great!! I have scoleosis in my upper back (twisted 12 degrees to the right, injury from working on off shore clamming boats) and I need it supported. Rather than have pegs on the crash bars, I ride with my feet on the crash bars and valve covers flat (Kinda like sitting back in a chair) and the drivers backrest gives great support.

There are other driver's backrests out there, but this one was specifically made for this seat.

Attachments

• MVC-538F.JPG
    MVC-538F.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 709
  • Copy of DSC00382.JPG
    Copy of DSC00382.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 712
  • 693b_1.jpg
    693b_1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 710
dan filipi":plttmsvb said:
Nice job on the restoration Gerry!

I didn't know you stripped it down to the frame for paint, bravo to you and the girls! :clapping: :clapping:

Thanks Dan, I can assure you that there is not one nut, bolt or wire that I have not touched at least three times! When we first got the '82, I did not have a title. So when I picked up the '81 for parts, we switched the good parts from the '82 including the forks, handlebars and other front end stuff and rode it around the neighborhood for a while. But in short order, I realized that the '81 frame had bad problems (of course after I titled it and registered the bike!) it was bent under the triple tree. The footpegs holes were cracked and the threads were stipping, the shocks were aftermarket and overtightened which caused the stud in the final drive to strip. I took off the rear rim and the final drive and spider fell apart in a terrible mess of mashed metal. The aftermarket shocks also did not fit correctly, the tires on both bikes were bad and the electrical stuff was a mess on the '81.

The '82 engine and brakes were seized. The '82 PO found the title and I re-titled the '82 frame. From that point I decided to make the '82 the operating bike. Stripped it bare and worked our way back. I had to get another set of forks from EBay because the '82 forks were pitted and would not take a seal. I put new tires on, fixed the air shocks, sanded and painted everything and ultimately put the '82 in service. My girls helped every step of the way! I tried to match the Honda pin stripping as best as I could, but it did not last.

Well, it has been a while and I have been adding and updating as money and time permit. I am still using the before and after shot because I love the contrast. Here is the latest pics of this bike:

Attachments

• Restored 82 (3).JPG
    Restored 82 (3).JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 663
  • Restored 82 (2).JPG
    Restored 82 (2).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 667
  • Restored 82.JPG
    Restored 82.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 659
  • 1982-2.JPG
    1982-2.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 662
Opps....forgot to keep this thread up to date! :shock:

Taking her back to Standard!

image.php

image.php

image.php

Next up will be with the new windshield! :moped:

Love the new practical standard ( I am for the advantages of lock up hard luggage/panniers) and that screen really sets it all off while offering plenty of protection :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123507#p123507:11ojlffp said:
Omega Man » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:42 am[/url]":11ojlffp]
Beautiful Gerry...but didn't you kinda...sort a...exchange a regular fairing for a transparent one? :whistling:

~O~

Gerry can see the front wheel now Randy :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123516#p123516:dmcwmgix said:
Ansimp » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:53 pm[/url]":dmcwmgix]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123507#p123507:dmcwmgix said:
Omega Man » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:42 am[/url]":dmcwmgix]
Beautiful Gerry...but didn't you kinda...sort a...exchange a regular fairing for a transparent one? :whistling:

~O~

Gerry can see the front wheel now Randy :good:

I think actually seeing the front wheel is over-rated. :hihihi:

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123507#p123507:2vk2nlnb said:
Omega Man » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:42 pm[/url]":2vk2nlnb]

~O~
Not exactly....the windshield only weighs in at less than 2 lbs. The faring was 37 lbs. I can really feel the difference in handling big time! I added 12 lbs of air to the front shocks just like when I had the faring on and the front end just keep bouncing. Let the air out to just 2lbs and it is just right.....smooth as silk and digs in corners real easy!

I figure with the weight loss on the front end, I have saved myself about $100 on not having to purchase new Progressive springs for the forks to support the faring weight! :hihihi: