• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

82 aspencade

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusierlover

Reaction score
rt side.jpg
rear.jpg
radio.jpg
I need to sell this beautiful bike.It is too heavy and too tall.It is very well preserved.I will try posting my craigslist ad here.50,000 miles.new whitewalls,belts,progressive suspension front and rear.Handles amazing.I took the fllorboards off but I have them in excellent condition.I am looking for one of the following even trade:800 intrudre,marauder,1400 intruder,nc 700,vulcan 800,900,2000 model or later vulcan 1500,yamaha 1100,honda 1100,old kz,old suzuki gs etc.I am in denton near dallas.Buy outright for $2700

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 156
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189264#p189264:3ue52u23 said:
joedrum » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:48 pm[/url]":3ue52u23]
sheesh they can be just a bit tall for some ..sorry to hear it didnt work out for you

it still might.I had a seat from the old 78.I cut it way down.tried it on this bike.still too tall.I dont think the 78 seat settled down right though.This seat is so nice i hate cutting it down.I also thought about nakedizing this bike but all the touring parts are in such excellent condition I hate to.

FYI...the OEM seats are much taller than aftermarket seats. My '82 was a bit tall for me too. (5'8" witha 29" inseam) I ended up making changes to my bike to lower it for me. I pulled the air shocks and installed progressive style coil springs that are 1/2" lower, have an aftermarket Travelcade seat that is 2" lower in the seat and removed the floorboards and installed '82 footpegs. I then add a handlebar setback riser that allowed me to move the handlebars closer and down a bit. Lastly, I lowered the triple tree down 1/2" and now my '82 is a perfect height for me!

In contrast, we have an '81 Standard we are selling and although it is a real sweet ride, it is too tall for me.

Here is my '82 Standard lowered:
image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189266#p189266:313ywpxc said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:34 pm[/url]":313ywpxc]
FYI...the OEM seats are much taller than aftermarket seats. My '82 was a bit tall for me too. (5'8" witha 29" inseam) I ended up making changes to my bike to lower it for me. I pulled the air shocks and installed progressive style coil springs that are 1/2" lower, have an aftermarket Travelcade seat that is 2" lower in the seat and removed the floorboards and installed '82 footpegs. I then add a handlebar setback riser that allowed me to move the handlebars closer and down a bit. Lastly, I lowered the triple tree down 1/2" and now my '82 is a perfect height for me!

In contrast, we have an '81 Standard we are selling and although it is a real sweet ride, it is too tall for me.

Here is my '82 Standard lowered:
image.php

I wonder if I cut the seat down an inch if it would take too much padding out.I only have a 30 inch inseam.tiptoes make it dang near impossible to turn around or back up.

I see you have a heel/toe shifter. That can cause you to have to spread out a bit when you put your feet down. An OEM shifter gives you more room to let your leg down straight.

Try taking the seat off and seeing how much of a difference you need to get flat footed. If you have room, consider a used aftermarket seat before cutting yours down.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189270#p189270:21ca9aon said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:28 pm[/url]":21ca9aon]
I see you have a heel/toe shifter. That can cause you to have to spread out a bit when you put your feet down. An OEM shifter gives you more room to let your leg down straight.

Try taking the seat off and seeing how much of a difference you need to get flat footed. If you have room, consider a used aftermarket seat before cutting yours down.
I took the floorboards and heeltoe thing off.they drove me crazy.My legs are too short to use them.I put stock pegs on,much better. Bike is still too tall.Give me an example of an aftermarket seat.seems like they would be just as thick.My new progressive shocks are very expensive,not going to take those off. On the front-loosen pinch bolts,push down on front end to lower in the trees? That chaqnges the rake.How did it effect the handling.I am wondering how much weight taking the trunk and bags off would make.

[url=https://www.forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=189272#p189272:xpluuveu said:
Winger 82 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:17 pm[/url]":xpluuveu]
Nice bike :music: :music: :music:

thanks.It is beautiful.so good on the highway

I have a Travelcade seat which is 2" lower in the saddle. Here is a Honda OEM seat on my '82:

image.php

Here is the Travelcade seat. Look at how much deeper the saddle is:

image.php

Lowering the front will change the rake as you say. It will make it more responsive and less of a straight line bike. If the rear is dropped the same amount rake remains stock. Less seat height and width makes a big difference too.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189280#p189280:33detp4w said:
slabghost » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:22 pm[/url]":33detp4w]
Lowering the front will change the rake as you say. It will make it more responsive and less of a straight line bike. If the rear is dropped the same amount rake remains stock. Less seat height and width makes a big difference too.

that seat would do it.Great idea.Thanks.

I get my seat(s) adjusted for me at Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA just across the strait from Vancouver Island. It makes a significant difference. I have the opposite requirement than you do, I have to have extra foam put in.

My son-in-law is also vertically challenged, long in the torso and short inseam. He rides a 1400 Moto Guzzi California Touring bike. He had his seat tailored and it is down to just a gel pad. He finds it extremely comfortable and can ride for hours.

You should be able to take a significant amount of foam out of the seat you have, down to about an inch then put a gel pad on top, or just a thick gel pad. I would think a good upholstery shop could do this for you, better yet would be a place that has done bike seats before.

You may also want to look at where you will sit with regards to your arms - moving forward or back in the seat. Possible that you may want to take some foam out from behind you or put foam in to move you forward. This will also move your foot placement as well. How you modify the seat can minimize aftermarket add-ons as well. It will also add to many miles of comfortable riding.

Just a few more thoughts.

Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189291#p189291:3tqcxucc said:
Rednaxs60 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:39 am[/url]":3tqcxucc]
I get my seat(s) adjusted for me at Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA just across the strait from Vancouver Island. It makes a significant difference. I have the opposite requirement than you do, I have to have extra foam put in.

My son-in-law is also vertically challenged, long in the torso and short inseam. He rides a 1400 Moto Guzzi California Touring bike. He had his seat tailored and it is down to just a gel pad. He finds it extremely comfortable and can ride for hours.

You should be able to take a significant amount of foam out of the seat you have, down to about an inch then put a gel pad on top, or just a thick gel pad. I would think a good upholstery shop could do this for you, better yet would be a place that has done bike seats before.

You may also want to look at where you will sit with regards to your arms - moving forward or back in the seat. Possible that you may want to take some foam out from behind you or put foam in to move you forward. This will also move your foot placement as well. How you modify the seat can minimize aftermarket add-ons as well. It will also add to many miles of comfortable riding.

Just a few more thoughts.

Cheers

great info.thanks.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189375#p189375:2q7o329b said:
crusierlover » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:28 am[/url]":2q7o329b]
the bike is not for sale now.Someone with authority can take it off please.
Great to hear. :good: