The Single carb mod, the truth is out of the closet

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
90 bucks brand new known good to go as is
https://stoveboltengineco.com/catalog/st ... id=1222026

These progressive two (2) barrel carburetors are New, not rebuilt, with an electric choke. These carburetors were originally used on a very small (97 cu.in.) engine and are not recommended for single carburetors usage on engines larger than this, but are an excellent choice for dual carb setups. (Order two (2) for 6 Cylinder Engines)

So much has happened here with regard to the single carb that my mind is spinning trying to see and read everything. :headscratch:
I understand the advantage of the smaller manifold tubes and I assume all we really need if we use the larger tube is to put a small venturi type adapter somewhere in the manifold tubes to speed up the flow? So many questions popping into my empty head. Slow down. One at a time. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=105058#p105058:2v7h6cfl said:
sparrowhawkdesign » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:58 am[/url]":2v7h6cfl]
So much has happened here with regard to the single carb that my mind is spinning trying to see and read everything. :headscratch:
I understand the advantage of the smaller manifold tubes and I assume all we really need if we use the larger tube is to put a small venturi type adapter somewhere in the manifold tubes to speed up the flow? So many questions popping into my empty head. Slow down. One at a time. :smilie_happy:
Yes that's the way it's looking, smaller tubes for reduced volume/speed of charge or venturi (choke)to speed up flow.

Thanks. After giving it some thought over night I think for now I may not use the type 4 and just build my own. There are a few things I want to try and I have the advantage of a complete fab shop and someone that can do the welding needed much better than I can. Right now I'm just trying to work it out in my head exactly what I want to do and lay out a plan. Then I will start a build thread for the project.

Ok, got to get back to the fiberglass sidecar plug I'm working on for now but might be able to ask a few more questions between coats. :mrgreen:

From what I'm seeing now about the only thing that seems to be a common if minor problem is not getting the idle as smooth as it should be. Has anyone used the 28/30 Weber to try and help this? Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been solved.

no but if I remember right it is 23 -26 in the air feed ....id say check that for sure and see how its jetted too if possible to compare with others here its basically the same carb family

I have one a friend gave me some time ago to look at it's 23/23. Choke on one side only. Don't know what model. I'll have to ask him. Stamped on base flange 30 DICA. It was used in a Fiat application of some sort. I was comparing ideas and also looked at the Geo fuel injection system.

gonna try this type 3 fi plenum

Attachments

• lll.JPG
    lll.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 106
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=105978#p105978:3ha7nqlr said:
82a » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:12 pm[/url]":3ha7nqlr]
gonna try this type 3 fi plenum
file.php
This will be interesting!

Start a new thread for your build.

I am sure I'll get slammed by some especially on other forums for voicing what I'm certain to be true but I don't care.

Since this thread is about the truth regarding the single carb mod, I will now recap what I have found to be necessary and maybe dispel some of the myths.
My experience today with skiri's home built plenum and runners. my own builds and trials, and the builds of others have proved some things to me and made it overwhelmingly obvious that the single carb conversion mod has been made more complicated than it actually is.

1. There have been quite a few builds using 1-3/8 and larger runners.........Too large, period.
I am not going to get into using any trickery by inserting "chokes" or "tuned venturi's" into too large runners since any kind of customized or proprietary runner tuning is beyond the abilities of most early Goldwing owners.....and frankly "venturi's" are not needed and have been cleverly used to overwhelm others into thinking they cannot build a working manifold/carb combination without them.
'Chokes'? These are unnecessary with the right size runners which I have found to be 1" to 1-1/4". No larger.

Both 'Chokes' or 'Venturi's' in the runners are not needed.

2. 'Tom's Weber' is an ideal carb for this mod.
I think we all knew this but the reason for this is NOT because "it works perfect out of the box" but because it is very close to proper tune, is easy to rejet, and it's size when turned with electric choke facing forward allows for full auto choke.
Because it is a progressive carb with the same size throats (venturi's) it works very well to mimic the stock throttle pull and twist as well as it's performance.
Granted, Tom's carb will run very good with no changes but the full potential is not realized without doing some simple tuning. This is to be expected of any carb not being used in an application it was not designed for.

3. Heat?
There is a definate improvement to be had by adding heat to the base of the plenum and getting heat to the runners. Any way we can provide heat is a help.
Warm dryer climates/riders will most likely not need heat at all.

Have a look at skiri's build of his custom plenum and runners.
It's an interesting read because it details how it ran with 1-1/2" runners, how he inserted 1" sleeves in those runners from end to end, then how it ran after he sealed those sleeves in.
Also detailed is how we tweaked the jetting a small amount to unleash the power and made a world of difference.

Dan

Awesome to have someone exploring all the possibilities for us. Hope I get time to work on mine soon. Can't wait to see how this turns out. I have some thoughts on it based on what has been done here up to now but waiting to see if I'm right.

:popcorn:

This is an old thread but worth reviving.

I have to say after running a single on mine for 1000+ miles I will never go back to a stock 4 carb headache.

Joedrum will comment I'm sure as well.

The single gives increased low end torque and smoothness, both I believe are not possible with the vacuum operated slides in the stock carbs.
Top end power is virtually endless. I have had mine up past 8000 rpm many times and continuing to pull with no bad spots all the way up there.

Some report 45+ mpg with a single. I get 33.
Honestly I have to question the 45+, verify speedo/trip counter accuracy.
With the stock rack that spit and popped back on itself I got 43. The 10 mpg hit is worth it to me for the addicting performance that is soooo much better.

Randakk has written that the singles are not worth the effort and so forth but I would have to guess he never dialed one in properly because once that is done, performance is an adrenaline rush for sure. Especially at first startup and takeoff from a stop.

Like the C5, a tuned single carb conversion has to be experienced to be appreciated!

Latest posts