Update

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And now the fun begins​

I have all the pieces painted and clear coated for my 78 GL1000. :music: The bike is not running right now for the simple fact of them dam Dyna coils failing. So again no riding for me. :swoon: I will load up all the pieces in my truck and Monday I will get the decals on all of it. I just figured I'll get the yellow coils and run them for now. While I wait for Dyna to give me the news if there going to replace the ones that are only 13 months old. So it is safe to say the bike is completed. I'm going to drain the gas out of the bowls and put it in a glass case up on the dresser. (lol not).

Also I have decided to use the engine out of the 77 for the 32/32 build running test. I have the engine on the floor I will use as a mock up to align the carburetor. Will keep you updated.. Thanks again..

My last update was April. So here it is May and I'm that much closer to getting my dream machine a reality. I have picked up another set of coils they are ACCEL coils. I also had the plastics recleared and the fairing repainted and cleared. Last week I took all of it to the decals shop to have all the graphics installed and now there finally on the bike. Looks like I will have my hands full this weekend installing the new coils they will have there own wiring system and kill switch. Separate from the main harness I don't want any Issues with voltage popping it's ugly head. So here is a little update I will be clearing over the graphics to protect my investment have a look.

Attachments

• final before clear1.jpg
    final before clear1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 142
  • final before clear2.jpg
    final before clear2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 141
  • final before clear3.jpg
    final before clear3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 141
So I'm looking for the windscreen screws and can't find them :sensored: :Doh2: So it looks like a trip to the hardware store again. Glad there is one in less than a mile away. I have a question about putting the used trim around the fairing. Anybody have a good choice of sealer I could use? I'm heading out to the store in a short. (rather I'm sending the wife) :music:. I'm also going with the relay deal to feed them new coils so I don't need to worry about voltage drop. Coming along nicely I did find the rubber thingy that mounts the lowers to the fairing. Assemble today I am.. :laptop: Oh I found out the 77 has Jardin Jardan exhaust so them will go on the 78. So cool have a great day..

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149437#p149437:1k6u3342 said:
CRAFTMAN6001 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:16 am[/url]":1k6u3342]
So I'm looking for the windscreen screws and can't find them :sensored: :Doh2: So it looks like a trip to the hardware store again. Glad there is one in less than a mile away. I have a question about putting the used trim around the fairing. Anybody have a good choice of sealer I could use? I'm heading out to the store in a short. (rather I'm sending the wife) :music:. I'm also going with the relay deal to feed them new coils so I don't need to worry about voltage drop. Coming along nicely I did find the rubber thingy that mounts the lowers to the fairing. Assemble today I am.. :laptop: Oh I found out the 77 has Jardin Jardan exhaust so them will go on the 78. So cool have a great day..
Plumbers putty will seal it nicely and cleans up easily. Clear silicone caulk is an option but it bonds pretty tight so if ever you need to replace it you are in for a battle.

Okay every one, here is the final pictures of my now complete 1978 Gl1000 GoldWing. Like You all know, I've said in the past and I'll say it one more time thank you for all your support in helping me build my 78 wing. When I signed onto this form I was not sure what I was in for as far as the kind of people I was going to be dealing with. I had visitedd other sites I need not mechin but I think you know. So after the all the convo with others here I now have a one of a kind bike. So here it is.. :hi:

Attachments

• complete 78 wing1.jpg
    complete 78 wing1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 598
  • complete 78 wing2.jpg
    complete 78 wing2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 598
  • complete 78 wing3.jpg
    complete 78 wing3.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 601
  • complete 78 wing4.jpg
    complete 78 wing4.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 598
  • complete 78 wing5.jpg
    complete 78 wing5.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 603
  • complete 78 wing6.jpg
    complete 78 wing6.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 600
:shock: Holymoly! That looks brand new! I consider myself a pretty patient guy but no way I have enough to accomplish a build like that! :beer:

IT still needs TWO things....a butt on the seat, and some dirt on the tires! :good: :clapping: :good:
VERY nice rehab on this one. Congrats! :clapping:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149672#p149672:89k7xv0o said:
AApple » Wed May 27, 2015 11:26 am[/url]":89k7xv0o]
IT still needs TWO things....a butt on the seat, and some dirt on the tires! :good: :clapping: :good:
VERY nice rehab on this one. Congrats! :clapping:

Agreed! :salute:

TURNING THE LAST BOLT ON MY 1978 GL1000 GOLDWING​

The bike is finally complete at last. All the time and money totals over five grand. Most in the last 6 months. :shock: I think this build will be the last big dollar build for some time. :smilie_happy: I have always wanted to have a bike like this and now I finally do. I took this bike down to the Honda dealer to show the guys a look into the past. It was a great feeling to get the comments that I did from the owner of my local Honda dealer. There were pictures taken for the shop. On my way out the salesman asked if I wanted to trade my wing in on a newer one and I said no thank you. He said if I should change my mind give him a call and bring my bike. So I would say this wing is wanted by another Wing fan. The only thing he told me about the bike is if you (meaning me) had the original exhaust that would be even cooler. I told him that I do and he asked me again are you sure you don't want to trade up. I said no not right now this bike is fresh and a long time dream for me to own a bike like this from way back in my younger days. So that was a cool feeling too. :clapping:

When Jennie and I took it out Sunday for her maiden voyage to our spot it was the same reaction from them fellas over there too. Except this time Jennie was the voice of the wing and all she is made of. I'm very proud that my wife knows the ends and outs of this old wing. It sounded like she built it herself. Telling them (oh no these pipes came off a 77 that's why there blue in the curves of them there is nothing wrong with these carburetors) And yes there is all new this and that OEM ETC ETC...!! There was also questions about the shirts we were wearing. What kind of club is that? I said no club really there are a good bunch of guys that will help you out in a jam if needed and mostly around the clock answers so your never really alone..! :salute:

:hi: So again thank you for all the comments post and answers to the repeated questions that come through this form. I also told others to look US up if your building or just tinkering on your wing. Well I'm off to service my bike have a great day and a better one tomorrow.

Signed.

Happy GoldWinger.....!!

Attachments

• .ccw.jpg
    .ccw.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 559