Suggesting a CGW meet @ Carlyle Il mid-June 2017

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_Charlton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1984 GL1200I
1988 GL1500
When: June 19-22?
Where: Carlyle Lake, Il. 50 miles East of St Louis, Mo, off US-50.
Why Carlyle??
1. Largest man-made lake in Illinois (26,000 acres), with hundreds of campsites ($16 per night - $8 with the senior access card) or I can reserve a group camping area. One accommodates up to 10 RVs or 40 tents ($150 per night), another holds 18 RVs or 72 tents ($250 per night). Check the Recreation.gov and enter the name. The surrounding communities also offer hundreds of motel rooms.
2. Closest large city: St Louis, with the best zoo in the world (free), Budweiser brewery tours, home to the St Louis Cardinals and the Blues, an incredible Science Center, and you can buy anything in St Louis. Did I mention the city has over 150 murders to date this year?
3. East St Louis Gateway Arch – 630 feet tall with incredible views to the East and West.
4. 1.5 hours away from the Abraham Lincoln memorial and his mausoleum in Springfield, Il & the Illinois State Museum (about 150 mi).
5. Possible rides: Garden of the Gods State Park in Southern Illinois (approx 200 mi), Mississippi River road in Alton Il (about 150 mi), Mississippi River 2-lane roads from St Louis to Cairo Il & I-57 return to Carlyle (approx 250 mi).
6. 30 miles from Illinois’ first capitol site (Vandalia Il).
7. Many places to eat out, cook at the campsites & lots of ice-cream stands open in the evenings.
8. 45 minutes from Mt Vernon Il & Tom Foreman.
9. Goldwing maintenance capability @ my garage & probably @ Tom Foremen’s.

I doubt i'll have enough camping gear before june, so far I only have a tent and depending on the weather I would need one of those motel / hotel rooms. it is still early so i'll just keep this on my radar

I would be taking an RV as a base, so I would have some sleeping bags, chairs, & tents that can be used. The camping areas have showers and toilets, so the conditions are not too primitive. Each site has a fire-pit with a grill. Go to Recreation.Gov, then enter Coles Creek camping, loops 2 & 3, to see the possible camp sites.

You got it!!

Joe; your attendance would be highly appreciated.

Dan; I know you are about as far from Il as anybody can get (except Ansimp), but would still like to meet you.

Yes, I can bring the pontoon boat (Rated for 15, but holds about 10 people my size). If the water level is high enough, we can park the boat next to the camping area.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182766#p182766:1b2p6t1w said:
PurpleGL1200I » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:34 am[/url]":1b2p6t1w]
Yes, I can bring the pontoon boat (Rated for 15, but holds about 10 people my size). If the water level is high enough, we can park the boat next to the camping area.
:good:
I am jealous about another great CGW meet up that I won't be able to attend! :doh:

Might be a bit of a stretch for me to get there, but I am putting it on my calendar! I have the equipment to camp quite nicely, its getting the time off.

I like the sound of this. It about 150 miles for me. and the new to me 1980 should be in fine shape by then. If you could give some motel info that would be great.

Some "local" motels.

Bell tower Inn - Centralia, about 20 miles away,$50 per night
Super 8 Salem - about 30 miles away $74 per night
Mariner's village Carlyle - $102 per night, on west side of lake (across the lake), about 15 miles.
Centerstone Inn & Suites Carlyle - $65 on west side of lake (across the lake), about 15 miles.
Econo Lodge Greenville - $63 about 40 miles West of Carlyle

The prices aren't great, but camping is cheap.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182827#p182827:3sgguadr said:
PurpleGL1200I » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:52 am[/url]":3sgguadr]
Ansimp: If you decide to come, I'll provide a bike for you to ride.
:thanks: for a very generous offer! :salute:

Would Friday, Saturday, & Sunday work better for the meet? For those still working, getting one day off may be easier than getting 3 days off. It doesn’t matter to me.