I bought a Vetter Terraplane that had a Goldwing attached!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I got delayed on this project a little going over to North Carolina to be with family, but I got back after it and finished up the timing belt job tonight. First real chore I've done on this rig, and boy let me just say that it was indeed a chore. If getting that right cover off wasn't bad enough, I opted to do the job without pulling the radiator. I got it done but lost some skin in the process. If I was 5 pounds heavier I don't think I could've done it. That's the first time I've ever done it with the radiator on and probably the last.

Next up, I pull the carburetor rack off and see just how dry and hard the rubber in these things really is. I bought some cheap kits and have them on hand, but I am banking on the fact that the brass and these things will be good.

I bought a 16 inch Lester to replace the spoke rim that's on this thing so that I'll have three Lesters all around. However I believe I'm going to put the Lesters on my black 78 and bring the Comstars over to this thing.

That's the plan anyway...

Hmm. It hadn't occurred to me that I might not be ABLE to do the swap. There's a Lester front on the hack now, so doesn't that suggest that I shouldn't have a problem? And although this hack tug is titled as a '78, it has the early shelter, early motor (kick start) and early brake calipers. So, the forks are probably early. I don't know how to tell the difference other than looking at the calipers.

Thanks for the potential head's up, Joe. Dang it.

lester made two sizes of wheels for the rear wheel....16"-18" i dont think thers any way a front lester fits on the back

your bike with the comstars looks great as is ... :good:

Thanks Joe. I guess I was not clear on what I'm sort of planning.

First, I've always liked the look of the Lesters. When I bought the Terraplane/Goldwing rig a month ago, it came with a front Lester and a rear spoke wheel. The Terraplane has a Lester as well. I bought a 16" Lester to replace the spoke wheel on the hack.

...but I got to thinking maybe I'd put the pair of Lesters on my black '78 and move the Comstars over to the sidecar bike. The Lester on the Terraplane wouldn't mind living with Comstars.

This isn't set in stone, but I sure am tempted to do it. The only REAL problem that I anticipated is that it drops the rear of my black '78 even more. It's already almost 2 inches lower than stock.

Bottom line: I need matching wheels on the hack tug. Right now - spoke rear, Lester front. Exactly how I get there will be the question.

Dang. Had a nice little installment written, was attaching images and somehow managed to blitz it. Dang.

Executive Summary:

Enough talk of prettiness (wheels/paint/etc) and on to things that actually make it run.

Carbs came off easily with John Mayer blaring.
IMG_4533.JPG

IMG_4535.JPG

I'll dive into them tomorrow, but they are pretty clean with, so far, what appears to be normal, supple rubber.
IMG_4537.JPG

Onward and upward!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183322#p183322:13otbt3m said:
desertrefugee » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:15 pm[/url]":13otbt3m]
Dang. Had a nice little installment written, was attaching images and somehow managed to blitz it. Dang.

Executive Summary:

Enough talk of prettiness (wheels/paint/etc) and on to things that actually make it run.

Carbs came off easily with John Mayer blaring.
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

I'll dive into them tomorrow, but they are pretty clean with, so far, what appears to be normal, supple rubber.

Onward and upward!
file.php

file.php

file.php
:good: :popcorn:

Well, after continually getting derailed from this project, I finally got the carb rack off. While they're surprisingly clean with most of the rubber soft and springy, (I did find a couple of flattened orings), I did get one nasty surprise.

These things were running WITHOUT screens in the fuel inlet under the float needles. Everything else about this bike so far has been well looked after. Until now. The kits I got don't have the screens included. Anyone got a set of them laying around they'd like to unload?

Another delay...

IMG_4558.JPG

I sure appreciate it, Dan, but I don't think it'll work. I just checked part numbers and, although the "float valve" components are sold as a kit, 1000's and 1100's show a different part number. I'm not sure which component(s) that different part number accounts for, but I have my doubts it'd work.

GL1000 P/N: 16011-371-305
GL1100 P/N: 16011-PK1-005

So, although I truly appreciate the gesture, I'd rather see you keep that set whole and use for someone with a direct application. I'm getting into search mode and may uncover some yet.

Ironically, I just recently sold (practically gave away) a set of GL1000 carbs that I figured I'd never use. Just goes to show, hoarding does have its merits...

Well. I can't believe it has been almost three weeks since I pulled the carb rack off the hack '78. Life does that sometimes. Plus, I have two perfectly good motorcycles that keep me entertained and have "needs" of their own.

My last snag was finding the carb rack missing the fuel inlet filter screen baskets under the float seat. I actually got lucky on that one. I had forgotten that my son had picked up a "bucket o' carb parts" from the guy I bought the rig from. He'd originally mentioned this bucket when we spoke of the rig, but I (and he) forgot about it when I bought the thing. My son brought the bucket over and I got my screens. Carb bodies separated from the plenum, all parts were there (in pieces), dirty, but a nice bone pile. Even had a spare fuel pump and an air cutoff valve rebuild kit.

With Trapeze blaring...

No more pics (you guys know what carbs look like), but although I had mentioned that these things looked clean, there were multiple plugged slow jets (2 of them) and secondary main jets (2 of them as well). Also, many of the o-rings I thought were supple were, in fact, hardened and not sealing well. I only ran into one snag and it's embarrassing enough that I'd prefer not to go into detail. Of all things, it was a stinking slow jet plastic plug that broke off in the tunnel. Miserable dawg took me 30 minutes to clear. But, I have everything back together and just need to set the float heights and I'll button them up and hang the rack.

The good news is that I have a long weekend ahead of me and will have time to spare...I think.

Progress was made today. That feels kinda good.

You guys are probably wondering what the heck happened to this thing. I have a confession to make...

To begin with, it was kind of an impulse buy. I don't usually make those, but in this case, I did. Plus, I actually have always thought the Terraplane was a cool sidecar. So, I finally did get it running reasonably well, but the harness was a mess. The paint was a mess. It needed three tires. I lost interest in the sidecar mystique. And it took up lots of garage space - space I really don't have any more. I used to, but after the big "D", I've adjusted a few things to reflect the new reality.

Anyway, I began to realize that to do the "right thing" would mean spending a lot of coin. Maybe more than the very limited target market would bear. And although I didn't buy it to simply flip, I never intended to keep it forever. So, I mentioned on one of the sidecar forums that I was considering getting rid of it. This nice fellow from SoCal contacts me and we ended up negotiating a deal.

I pretty much broke even - and was very happy to do that. He already has a Terraplane with a Magna tug and was happy to find another "nearby" and western example to boot. He picked it up today.

So, apologies to those who expected me to "go the distance" on this one, but in the end, I decided it wasn't for me. But, it leaves open the opportunity for another patient...
IMG_5040.JPG