Windshield Comparison - National Cycle Plexi's

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I have performed a few different adjustments on my windshield which is a Plexifaring 3. I have reached the best adjustment for my height with the least amount of buffeting. When I first removed the Vetter Faring and decided to go with a windshield only, this is the bike I used for inspiration:

image.php

image.php

The Owner of the bike, NEDan, when asked how he liked the Plexistar 2 windshield he had on it noted that,

"The shield is a bit noisy at speed but I'm still fiddling with it. (angle, height etc.) I'm 5'10" with a long torso. Also I wear a 1/2 helmet this time of year. 3/4 spring and late fall. Things might change."

Fast forward to my conversion and I ended up choosing the Plexifairing 3 over the Plexistar 2 because it looked like it would give me similar coverage as the Vetter faring.

From this when we first started:

image.php

To this for the conversion back to Standard:

image.php

And lastly this:

image.php

Enter the recently restored '81 Standard which also happens to have a Plexistar 2:

image.php

What a great opportunity to test the differences!

I agree with NEDan, the Plexistar 2 is quite a bit noisier than the Plexifaring 3. I tried to adjust the Plexistar 2 on the '81 to match the Plexi 3 on the '82 but it is still noisy. SO.......I swapped the windshield and put the Plexistar 2 on the '82.

I left all of the mounting hardware in exactly the same position as the Plexifaring 3 and sure enough, the Plexistar is still noisier! The head buffeting from wind over the top is hard on my head. However, the Plexistar 2 gives me the ability to see over rather than through like my Plexifaring does. Maybe that is the difference.

Get out the trusty tape measure and the Plexifairng 3 is 21 1/2" from top to center. The Plexistar 2 is only 20" at the same location. That is a full 1 1/2" lower no matter how I adjust it. :head bang: :smilie_happy:

I went to the National Cycle website and under the Plexistar 2 it clearly states,

The classic Plexistar 2™ is the sporty version of our famous Plexifairing 3™. The cut of the Plexistar 2 is a bit larger around the headlight opening and the lowers deflectors are shorter. It’s the favorite fairing for year-round riding for many riders who want good upper chest and hand protection.

Well, I can't beat that with a stick! :deadhorse:

Obviously, the Plexistar 2 is going to have less helmet protection because it is a smaller shield.

For the Plexifaring 3 they state,

The Plexifairing 3 features extended hand and leg protection to make riding more comfortable. A protective gasket is closely fit around the headlight opening. The Plexifairing 3 also features QuickSet™ hardware, so riders can enjoy the advantages of wind protection, but easily leave the fairing at home when desired.

So if it is head buffeting you want under control, the Plexifaring 3 is the better choice.

If you want to look over the top easily, but deal with more wind, the Plexistar 2 will be the choice.

Thanks for listening!

Of course you realize, I have to perform the test in reverse and install the Plexifaring 3 on the '81 to see how it fares! :yes: :hihihi: :moped:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189232#p189232:3rj8g8as said:
brianinpa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:36 am[/url]":3rj8g8as]
I think you are just looking for reasons to ride that 81 and convince yourself that you need to keep it. :hihihi:
:oops: Ooops......I got caught. :hihihi: I do have it up on Craig's List right now and out front with a sale sign.

Thanks for that Gerry. The screen that my mate brought back from Victoria for me is Plexistar 2. I was thinking that it may be inferior but it sounds like it is designed for a different job to the 3. I do love my Windjammer 3 even if I did cut 2" off the screen. :whistling:

If you cut 2" off your windjammer and like how it works for you, the Plexi 2 might be just fine. If you use a full face helmet, the Plexi 2 may not be an issue.

I use a 3/4 helmet for the road and a 1/2 helmet locally and the 1" height difference (3/4 is 1" higher) between them puts the 3/4 just into the turbulence to make a little noise with the Plexi 3. With the Plexi 2, it is full on turbulence.

So I had to try the Plexi 3 on the '81 Standard.......(I know, just looking for reason to take this scoot for a ride). :hihihi:

Ride report? Hands down, the Plexifaring 3 cuts helmet buffeting way down and gives a much more pleasant ride than the Plexistar 2. The Plexi 2 has it's place, but for smoothing out wind, the Plexifaring 3 wins! :yes:

For the sheer fun of riding the 81 is the best model wing I've had the experience to ride. The 1200 just fits me best I think.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189308#p189308:2h2afcbg said:
slabghost » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:33 pm[/url]":2h2afcbg]
For the sheer fun of riding the 81 is the best model wing I've had the experience to ride. The 1200 just fits me best I think.

You are not the only one that feels that way!

I am a modular full face helmet only type of guy. Thanks again for the info Gerry, I appreciate all you efforts to fill research this. :good:

I've never had a windscreen, only the stock fairing but have always considered trying one. I had a giant over-size slipstreamer windshield on the stock fairing and think I could feel a difference/improvement in low speed handling going back to a smaller stock windshield. As if I could feel the bike being more responsive and willing to lean. I think it may have been the small reduction in mass up high above the handlebars or maybe the large fairing was displacing so much air that even at low speed it acted as a stabiliser. Or maybe it was all in my head.

How would you describe the difference in handling/performance around town and on the highway between the stock fairing and a windscreen?

Thanks.

I cannot compare the stock faring or windshield since I have a Standard. The only faring I ever had was the Vetter Windjammer aftermarket.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189384#p189384:1i62t93a said:
Ansimp » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:34 pm[/url]":1i62t93a]
I am a modular full face helmet only type of guy. Thanks again for the info Gerry, I appreciate all you efforts to fill research this. :good:
I have to ask. Is the modular full face quieter in wind noise than the 3/4? I took the '81 out again on the highway at 75 MPH and the head buffeting with the Plexistar 2 is really uncomfortable to me. Up to 50 MPH it works fine, but after that my head is knocked around to the point of teeth chattering. I guess riding at those speeds with that much wind on my face just isn't for me. :nea:

Just about any full face helmet is quieter than other helmets for wind noises. Also steadier in the wind.