New guy, another single carb conversion.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe Im pretty certain mine is the 32/32, Motorcraft 740 variety. Came from Langdons and if I remember right it might even say Motorcraft on it. Im going to give soldering and re drilling jets a shot tonight, if I find a piece of scrap metal Im going to put the adapter back in as well

Getting really close with the jetting, thanks for the tip on soldering the jets! That actually worked really well, made guess and check much easier. I feel like its very ride able now, if the weather would cooperate Id take it on a longer ride but around town it feels great. Not having any luck getting it to idle though. Anyway heres a video

[video]https://youtu.be/MocL3U8uPgQ[/video]

:mrgreen: id say you dont need the 2to1 adapter ..as a need ..one might prefer it in some ways ...mine is off my bike as well ....and i dump right into the type 4 set up ...

ok idle ....this is the biggest difference in single carb setup and stock set up...at idle the motor is running at it lowest level ...in this mode stocks carbs have it all over a car carb ..thats is 2to3 times further away from the pistons ...in this mode stock carbs are not actually cv carbs ..they dont used that at idle and the carbs are all there right at a good spot and just purr away ..hard to beat clean idle circuits and rock solid idle....but just right offidle it all goes the other way car carb is always in sync and if you have things down to jetting and accelerator pump operation you cant beat a nice progressive two barrel for the needs of a oldwing motor ...on my bike idle can be staggering up and down a lot but rather steady at it ..while riding and coming to a stop ...it tends to fill the idle circuits either making it want quit and drown out or rev higher than normal ..then burn its supply out then want to die ...most of the time with a little throttle control i can make idle fine ..but what a fine line that is it seems ...seems the one arrel carb set ups idle a bit better ..at least the ones ive messed with ..ive never owned one and rode it for awhile...so dont get to discouraged about idle ..your at a disadvantage here to think you will get it to idle like a stock wing in my opinion ...

on hooch my idle is way cut back and had to create a new idle circuit path to lean it out so i wouldnt be to rich at idle ...actually several mods ..but i have no power valve or anything on my carb ..that is epa type device ..just strickly strait carb ...but my motor is far from stock running oldwing and ive seen others ..like yours that have set up idle feed ..i went way the other way ..had to lean lean lean to get idle good and mpg as good as stock actually much better stock ...just dont get to overwhelm with idle as there will be some getting use to how it will act while riding no matter how well the idle can be while sitting still ...

Im actually not too worried about the idle, with my stock rack no matter how many times I cleaned tuned and synched them the idle would go anywhere from normal to about 5k rpm. I got pretty used to either controlling idle with the clutch or pushing down on the throttle linkage while I was rolling up to a stop.

With the single carb I have the same thing going on as you Joe, with the idle screw all the way in it idles at about 3k rpm. If you back it off at all it will slowly come down to about 500rpm and die. I think it had some thing to do with fuel pooling in the big plenum, Im really not too worried about it Im just glad its ride able!

Wont have any progress for at least a week unfortunately, pulled my rear tire and took it in to get a new one on. Then need to work on truing the front wheel.

On a positive note with all the help Ive got from here and experimenting with drilling jets I got my single carb XS850 to run today too!

Ok I need someone that understands the jetting circuits on these carbs a little more than myself. Got my tire on last night, went out riding a bit today. Most of the range is spot on, however at almost exactly half throttle, right when the secondary should be starting to open I have a dead spot. The advice I need is whether I need to adjust the main jet for the primary barrel, or the pilot jet for the secondary barrel. I can add throttle and pull through it or let off and come through it, but its really annoying and potentially dangerous when I hit the dead spot mid corner

I have limited experience but have read through every post on the singles. I would try opening the primary just one drill size and test it. If it has improved try a little more until it feels right. The secondary adds almost nothing until it actually begins to open.

hmmmmm well the first thing id do is close down the air bleed on the main secondary tube ...this will bring more gas to the secondary...and it seems you are lean some ....if i remember right ..the air bleed there is huge like 210 or something ...this is huge ...mine is cut way back and the gas jetting is way up there in size compared to stock carb jetting ...but that means nothing on your bike ....there is also a throttle plate setting for the secondary ...this is found on the bottom of the carb and is pinched to keep one from adjusting it ...well i worked with mine till i could adjust it ...the idle circuit works almost exactly like primary does .... when you adjust this plate you can add air to the idle gas charge ..the secondary idle jet does contribute to idle ..if you open the plate to much idle will rise up to high ..i like to get this actually working and i can fell it ...so that between the mix screw and the two throttle plate settings one should get a good idle ...my carb has many mods to it .....so it not comparable but im guessing......i think you can go up on the secondary main gas jetting ...dialing in the dft carb is challenging but there is a huge pay off once you get it right ...sheesh the accelerator pump gives a shot here also in the primary barrel when secondary comes in also ..so primary does get a boost in going to secondary ...just have to dive in and see what works best on your bike ...

Went up a bit on the primary main, I think, to be honest Im not sure which jets are for which barrel but guessing and checking has gotten me close. Still have a small flat spot, and I still cant launch hard or it bogs out but its very rideable. Making a 400 mile trip tomorrow since its supposed to be nice weather. We'll see how she does!

The plugs seem ok, not all sooty now like they were before. Made the ride today, 425 miles most of it at about 85mph. It did fairly well. The one tiny flat spot I have is liveable, 4th and 5th gear dont pull very well though at highway speeds. Just going to have to do a little more tuning. Oh and I managed a touch over 27mpg! It was the same for every fuel stop, this bike has never done well on fuel though, the stock rack got 25 to a best of 34. I ride pretty aggressively though and mileage is not my main concern.

Try enlarging the secondary jet now just a size or maybe two. Should help in the transition flat spot and add more power in the upper gears at speed.

The main or pilot? Also can anyone give me a for sure answer on which set of hers are for the primary barrel and which for the secondary, to see if my guess is right