Rear caliper not releasing my brakes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogardicus

Reaction score
So the last few days I head out on my bike, for the first tenth of a mile I feel rear brake drag.
After the tenth of a mile it went away.
Today same issue, didn't have much to do so I took a look.
I cleaned the pistons up, compressed them, put it all back together and it still will not release the pressure.
I went ahead and got the OEM caliper rebuild kit ordered from Honda.
Then I found some new after market pistons, and ordered them.
The rear master cylinder is working fine.
Can anyone suggest anything else I am missing.

please don't say pads :useless:

I got a new camera and I took pics in a format that does not work with posting.
I am not sure I have a stock master cylinder on this bike.
My parts will be in next week. I willl get some pictures up before then I hope.

Possibly a simple fix for the return hole. Take the caliper off the rotor and pump the brake until the pistons are nearly out. The reservoir will be nearly empty. Push the pistons all the way back into the caliper until they bottom out. (Be careful you do not overflow the reservoir.) Do this same procedure a second time. If there is something clogging the return hole, this should help clear it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190363#p190363:e1r0lhns said:
brianinpa » Wed May 10, 2017 6:15 pm[/url]":e1r0lhns]
Yup... sounds like the return hole.

Yup! Sure is a clogged return hole. My front brake locked on on I45S just north of Houston once, an experience I will never forget!

I wish I could get the pics to post. The pistons were a rust ring, they had crystallized brake fluid stuck to the rust.
I sanded them down and got them to turn and retract, I reassembled and got pressure to the pistons.
Tomorrow i will try pumping the pistons to clear the return hole.

Is the return hole in the front master cylinder reservoir or in the rear reservoir?

Both masters have the tiny return hole. Whichever caliper is dragging do the piston press thing to clear the correct return hole.

Going through the same this week with my 79 CBX ,,,same rear caliper as the Wing and CB 750 F , Rebuilt the rear MC cleaned the small hole dipped it overnight and new seals kit , Just ordered a new Piston also, But ? it looks like i have a collapsed Brake line 38 years old does that sometimes wont release pressure ,,,very slight drag still, Now trying new stainless brake hose ,,i will report back on this after i finish next couple days :headscratch:

Mine was the return hole.
I don't have parts yet.
I took out the master cylinder cleaned and blew brake cleaner through the hole.
I bench bled it to make sure the return hole was working.
Put it all back together and bled the system and they work fine.
Now when my parts get in I get to do it again. :)

It was probably for the best, I don't have a manual and have been winging it.
I think I am going to order a manual....right after this test ride!

Thanks guys, keep it safe.

Ok for the 3rd time i am gonna pull the Rear MC and clean check the return hole , still have a slight enough drag to get the disk hot to the touch , So far i have , Rebuilt the MC , and removed again recently to check return hole ( it was clear) New pads and even tried the old worn pads thinking the piston was pushed back to far, No luck , Rebuilt rear caliper with slight polish and clean in the cylinder and New Piston , new Brake line , checked Foot pedal adjustment made sure it was not preloading MC, Checked and lubed the Caliper stay bolts made sure they were free, And checked with feeler Gage caliper mount to disk for clearance 28 thou, Brake line was dirty inside hope it is just the damn MC return , Did i miss anything i am stumped !! I know these things are stupid simple how hard can it be LOL :head bang: :headscratch:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190658#p190658:15htvfjv said:
Fstsix » 47 minutes ago[/url]":15htvfjv]
Ok for the 3rd time i am gonna pull the Rear MC and clean check the return hole , still have a slight enough drag to get the disk hot to the touch , So far i have , Rebuilt the MC , and removed again recently to check return hole ( it was clear) New pads and even tried the old worn pads thinking the piston was pushed back to far, No luck , Rebuilt rear caliper with slight polish and clean in the cylinder and New Piston , new Brake line , checked Foot pedal adjustment made sure it was not preloading MC, Checked and lubed the Caliper stay bolts made sure they were free, And checked with feeler Gage caliper mount to disk for clearance 28 thou, Brake line was dirty inside hope it is just the damn MC return , Did i miss anything i am stumped !! I know these things are stupid simple how hard can it be LOL :head bang: :headscratch:
Are the new pistons the same size as the old ones?
Or are the new pistons seating in the mc as the old ones did?

I just got my pistons in the mail. They are not exactly like the OE.
OE has a beveled ring around the open end while these are solid.