Motorcycle course

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjanderson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the past two days, I have participated in the California Motorcyclist Safety Program offered by the Harley Davidson dealer in Sacramento and I can heartily recommend it. Over the past two and a half years I have been slowly resurrecting a 1980 GL1100 that was given to me. But I haven't had a motorcycle license since high school (that was a long time ago for those counting). Now that the bike is nearly finished it is time legalize the driver. Rather than trying to pass the DMV skill test, I opted for the course and I'm so glad I did. I didn't realize how much I had forgotten (or more likely never knew in the first place). With what I have now learned, perhaps I can stay alive long enough to improve my riding ability (and it still needs some work!). I passed the written test with no problems but the skills test was another story. The instructors said I had amassed the maximum number of points against me without failing. They strongly encouraged me to keep practicing. :yes: Great course. I needed it more than I knew.

Congratulations on selecting a refresher/upskilling course. Hopefully it will serve you well when you are out enjoying your Oldwing. :salute:

I highly recommend the Motorcycle Safety Training course because the skills portion of the Illinois motorcycle license test is virtually impossible for a new rider to pass on a Goldwing.

One part requires you to accelerate hard for 20' and then perform a panic stop in a 20' box, an open invitation to dropping the bike. Then you must execute a figure-8 in a 20'X30' box. Yes, riders who have had their Wings for years can do this, but not when you first get the 750 lb bike.

The course provides a 250cc bike and a helmet; you bring your own riding gear (long pants, long-sleeved shirt, and leather shoes). The course gives you 2.5 days of classroom and riding time under supervision; a good way to learn safe riding habits, practice your handling skills, AND meet Illinois's ill-conceived testing requirements. Yes, it costs $20 to reserve a spot in the class, but you can get that back when you complete the course.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190379#p190379:fxrs5sxw said:
PurpleGL1200I » Thu May 11, 2017 7:55 am[/url]":fxrs5sxw]
...Then you must execute a figure-8 in a 20'X30' box.

Ya....that figure 8 on a Wing ain't fun! This is also the main reason I took the MSF course....I dint want to do the riding skills part of the license test on the Wing. We had tiny widdle Buells to ride on for the course, which made it super easy.
Not long after I took my test and got my license, Texas changed the laws to where you HAVE TO take the course before getting a license. It's always good to get a refresher course every now and then. :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190379#p190379:2v2zuuuk said:
PurpleGL1200I » Thu May 11, 2017 5:55 am[/url]":2v2zuuuk]
I highly recommend the Motorcycle Safety Training course because the skills portion of the Illinois motorcycle license test is virtually impossible for a new rider to pass on a Goldwing.

One part requires you to accelerate hard for 20' and then perform a panic stop in a 20' box, an open invitation to dropping the bike. Then you must execute a figure-8 in a 20'X30' box. Yes, riders who have had their Wings for years can do this, but not when you first get the 750 lb bike.

The course provides a 250cc bike and a helmet; you bring your own riding gear (long pants, long-sleeved shirt, and leather shoes). The course gives you 2.5 days of classroom and riding time under supervision; a good way to learn safe riding habits, practice your handling skills, AND meet Illinois's ill-conceived testing requirements. Yes, it costs $20 to reserve a spot in the class, but you can get that back when you complete the course.

Like nearly everything else in California, it is more expensive here. It cost 258.00 but, with what I learned, it will be worth every penny.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190382#p190382:2mgulwpn said:
AApple » Thu May 11, 2017 9:22 am[/url]":2mgulwpn]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190379#p190379:2mgulwpn said:
PurpleGL1200I » Thu May 11, 2017 7:55 am[/url]":2mgulwpn]
...Then you must execute a figure-8 in a 20'X30' box.

Ya....that figure 8 on a Wing ain't fun! This is also the main reason I took the MSF course....I dint want to do the riding skills part of the license test on the Wing. We had tiny widdle Buells to ride on for the course, which made it super easy.
Not long after I took my test and got my license, Texas changed the laws to where you HAVE TO take the course before getting a license. It's always good to get a refresher course every now and then. :yes:

We got to use the Harley 500cc street bike. Fun bike.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190384#p190384:14dzoan7 said:
mjanderson » Today, 10:35 am[/url]":14dzoan7]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190379#p190379:14dzoan7 said:
PurpleGL1200I » Thu May 11, 2017 5:55 am[/url]":14dzoan7]

Like nearly everything else in California, it is more expensive here. It cost 258.00 but, with what I learned, it will be worth every penny.
My son just did it. He said the bikes were beat to crap and the clutches slipped big time :smilie_happy:

The wife and I did the advanced two up training course at WingDing one year and part of the course was the figure 8 box two update ..talk about sweat rolling off of you . doing it two up was hard ,I blew out of the box the first try but we did it on our second try it will make you concentrate on your approach and balance and keep your head up because where you are looking is where you are going

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190386#p190386:1qh5gdit said:
dan filipi » Thu May 11, 2017 11:44 am[/url]":1qh5gdit]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190384#p190384:1qh5gdit said:
mjanderson » Today, 10:35 am[/url]":1qh5gdit]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190379#p190379:1qh5gdit said:
PurpleGL1200I » Thu May 11, 2017 5:55 am[/url]":1qh5gdit]

My son just did it. He said the bikes were beat to crap and the clutches slipped big time :smilie_happy:

The bikes we used were in good shape. Maybe they just hadn't been used for training very long.

A clip from my taking the test in NJ. I had an MC License before, but after living in several different States, not all of my endorsements were accepted. (Lost my MC and tractor trailer licence from PA. Back then there was no CDL.)

Enjoy:

I had to get my License again so I got my permit, rode around with my buddy that has a '06 GL1800 and went for the road test. (On the Wing of course). Showed up at DMV and was told to go around back. Behind the building is a small course with traffic cones set up????? :shock: The Officer looks at me....looks at the bike and says, "Go ahead slick". Well, I don't have to tell you that I couldn't even make it halfway through the course! The wheelbase on the bike was longer than the distance between the cones! :oops:

I stopped and the Officer came over shaking her head. She said, "Ya know, this couse isn't really set up for big road bikes." (Like I couldn't tell :Awe: ) I asked her why?? She said, "To be honest with ya slick, most people don't get get monster bikes for their first bike and they surely don't try to pass their road test on them. This course is set up for 125cc or less." Just then, the other applicants arrived on their rental "road test" bikes....it was a little bigger than a mini bike! :smilie_happy:

I borrowed a friends 250 and came back...NO PROBLEM!! :clapping: :Egyptian: :clapping: :Egyptian: