• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale - '81 GL1100 Standard - $3000 - SOLD!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190640#p190640:3u9jpwxl said:
slabghost » Wed May 17, 2017 11:14 am[/url]":3u9jpwxl]
Forgive the observation here. But to me it seems the buyers in your area are morons.100% original is great for a museum piece. If that is the intended purpose they are better off rebuilding a barn find. Best of luck getting this sold. I really hope someone outside the area buys it to ride happy ever after.

Well... he does live in New Jersey. That could explain some of it.

After 37 years I would think it would be hard to find an OEM bike, and even if you do there will be a premium to buying such a bike - much like a car. The more original it is, the more it will cost to purchase, and yes, depends on the vehicle.

A bike that has all the maintenance done and is ready for the road is a rarity for a 37 year old bike. My bike was on the road and I have found that to keep it there requires exactly what you have done to the '81. I could have let it go until an issue needed to be addressed, but when that happens there could be collateral damage. I also wanted an older bike that would be dependable - as much as possible.

You have done a great job on getting this bike ready for the road, and the cost for what has been done is very reasonable. I kept track of the costs for my '85 LTD and it does add up.

I mentioned on a thread by brianpa that you and he should collaborate on a project as both of you do a great job in bringing these older GWs back to life.

An enjoyable and informative thread this one, and a great job done.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190643#p190643:2cuomra0 said:
dan filipi » Wed May 17, 2017 10:51 am[/url]":2cuomra0]
Well $3k is top of the market price so I can understand expecting to get all original.
Understood. I checked Cycle Trader.com as most of the Standards are getting $2k to $3K or more.

https://www.cycletrader.com/search-resu ... 0%7C28959&

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190646#p190646:ahd6jvbk said:
Rednaxs60 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:18 am[/url]":ahd6jvbk]
After 37 years I would think it would be hard to find an OEM bike, and even if you do there will be a premium to buying such a bike - much like a car. The more original it is, the more it will cost to purchase, and yes, depends on the vehicle.

A bike that has all the maintenance done and is ready for the road is a rarity for a 37 year old bike. My bike was on the road and I have found that to keep it there requires exactly what you have done to the '81. I could have let it go until an issue needed to be addressed, but when that happens there could be collateral damage. I also wanted an older bike that would be dependable - as much as possible.

You have done a great job on getting this bike ready for the road, and the cost for what has been done is very reasonable. I kept track of the costs for my '85 LTD and it does add up.

I mentioned on a thread by brianpa that you and he should collaborate on a project as both of you do a great job in bringing these older GWs back to life.

An enjoyable and informative thread this one, and a great job done.

Cheers
Thanks Ernest!

I have commented on GW obsolescence on a thread I have. Many want to buy and ride an older bike with the thought that the purchase will be inexpensive, inexpensive to put on the road and operate. Too many times I read on these forums where a fellow has bought an older GW for a great price then start to ask what has to be done to get it roadworthy. Time and money is always the bottom line. Being able to buy and ride with only having to do the maintenance required to keep the bike safe and on the road is worth more than expecting to buy a bike that has been kept in original condition. I woulds also submit that bikes in original condition are not that plentiful.

I looked at the site you posted, and while the bikes look good I wonder what will have to be done in the near future after a winter layover say. Originality does not always equate to well maintained, or that you will not have to start putting money in as you ride.

Hoses, bearings, carb rebuilds, brake clutch lines, starter rebuild, wiring modifications (think of the copper wire for a main fuse in the starter solenoid), drive train issues, new brakes and caliper rebuilds, new tires and such. I digress, but I believe this and other issues have been addressed on your bike. I'm just too practical I guess.

The right buyer will come along and get a good deal. I take it that the bike has a clear title (your rules are different from up here). Too bad you are not closer and the $3k was in CDN $$ - might have to make my second '85 LTD a parts bike and have an '81 for a runabout. Unfortunately, I prefer FI over carbs.

I still like what you have done.

Cheers

With some foot rests and a taller windshield and I could ride it to you. Problem is, the cost to get back home could be as much as the trip!

Gerry, I think your price is very reasonable, if not underpriced. It looks great and its been completely gone through. I sit here less than 2 hours away praying it gets sold soon so the little devil on my shoulder will stop whispering in my ear. I have a son in college and another getting ready to go a year from now. Under different circumstances.... :(

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190691#p190691:3fr9ogb3 said:
D-50Dave » Thu May 18, 2017 4:50 am[/url]":3fr9ogb3]
Gerry, I think your price is very reasonable, if not underpriced. It looks great and its been completely gone through. I sit here less than 2 hours away praying it gets sold soon so the little devil on my shoulder will stop whispering in my ear. I have a son in college and another getting ready to go a year from now. Under different circumstances.... :(
I hate to dangle a carrot, but........ :smilie_happy:

College is not cheap! That bill will be there for a while. :doh:

Got the OEM valve covers and timing belt covers from Brian! :thanks:

Polished them up and swapped out the Drag Specialties ones and installed these. Pulled the aftermarket stuff off just to get pictures for those purists purchasers. We have a neighborhood yard sale tomorrow and I will have her out there out front. (Lucky me, I live on the first corner coming into our development!) :hihihi:

image.php

image.php

image.php

Can't have that ruining a sale.Better get that off and see if someone here can give it a new home. Or maybe just save it for the next bike?

If i was looking for one of these i would certainly buy yours at your price beeing sure of the work you made. Most say the've done anything they don't and i would have to work myself all these points. I don't know if you'll sell the bike this way but i hope you will, it's a good bike now. Start and ride! Well done. It's not expensive at all. [emoji256][emoji256]

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190782#p190782:ky71qn47 said:
JoeBarTeam » Sun May 21, 2017 4:07 am[/url]":ky71qn47]
If i was looking for one of these i would certainly buy yours at your price beeing sure of the work you made. Most say the've done anything they don't and i would have to work myself all these points. I don't know if you'll sell the bike this way but i hope you will, it's a good bike now. Start and ride! Well done. It's not expensive at all. [emoji256][emoji256]

+1 :yes: :moped: :good: