Hard to believe - Coming up on 10 years!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I am in the middle of a complete wire harness rebuild and upgrade project for my '82 when my Daughter Colleen who has helped all along the way from the beginning of the restoration (except for those 5 years she spent in Florida and made me do my own work) note that by the end of this summer we will have had the bike for 10 years! :shock:

Wow! I just ride, have fun and upgrade when I see fit and really hadn't thought about it. According to our local Honda dealerships, if the bike was new when purchased, this will be the last time they would work on it because it would be 10 years old!

I am glad we do our own work, but it sure is hard for me to believe we have been having this fun with this bike for 10 years!

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190410#p190410:20raob9x said:
brianinpa » Fri May 12, 2017 11:49 am[/url]":20raob9x]
The real question that hasn't been answered yet... how many miles in those 10 years?
Close to 30,000 miles! :moped:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190415#p190415:1kv5vv8e said:
detdrbuzzard » Sat May 13, 2017 7:24 am[/url]":1kv5vv8e]
where is the " like " button :)
Right here! :good: :moped: :salute:

There is fast food and slow food, there is fast restoring and slow restoring. By food it's knowned slow has to be good for health. I think slow restoring also :)
Restoring is beautiful and your ride also, enjoy! :)

OK, which valve covers do you have on the bike? Some pictures show the normal Gl1100 valve covers and a few pictures show nice (aftermarket?) valve covers.
I also saw a couple pictures with the chrome rear engine covers. Doesn't really matter, it's a NICE looking bike regardless of how it is dressed..

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190440#p190440:1vrd6m0b said:
PurpleGL1200I » Sat May 13, 2017 7:03 am[/url]":1vrd6m0b]
OK, which valve covers do you have on the bike? Some pictures show the normal Gl1100 valve covers and a few pictures show nice (aftermarket?) valve covers.
I also saw a couple pictures with the chrome rear engine covers. Doesn't really matter, it's a NICE looking bike regardless of how it is dressed..
The chrome goodies came from a wrecked '81 that we really only bought for the engine and seat. I thought I would like them, but over the years have come to enjoy the OEM valve covers polished up and the engine fully exposed.

I still have the aftermarket chrome valve covers if anyone wants to make an offer? :hihihi:

Good on you for not succumbing to the pressures of the "newer" syndrome. Bike looks great.

Starting to wind down on the work/maintenance/refurbishing of my '85 LTD and have started to detail it - cleaning takes over when the work is done. In doing so have seen/found some areas that I would like to see redone. Figure this is going to be at least a 5 year restoration as I intend to ride it as well. Let you know how it is in ten years. Hoping for at least 400,000 Kms before rebuild.

Looking into refurbishing/cleaning/polishing the aluminum bits. Any suggestions on what to do - where to look?

Cheers

Looking into refurbishing/cleaning/polishing the aluminum bits. Any suggestions on what to do - where to look?

For me, I polished the forks, valve covers, carb tops and intake horns. I have aftermarket chrome timing covers that look nice and are easy to keep shiny. Those are the only items I have polished and have painted the rest. To me, it seems to provide a nice contrast without overdoing the shine.

Next time I pull the engine, I am going to offset some of the Iron paint color on the stator cover, fuel pump and starter with a nice black like you see in this picture:

image.php

yep time sure gets by us , I have had my little wagon since 2001 , and Yes I DID Fix the wreck and Paint it the first few months I had it , BUT I have done a LOT of Custom body work on it in the last 16 years , and it has been almost ready to paint for ohhhh 7 or 8 years or More.... :heat: ... and like you said... hard to believe . :fiddle: