Honda 1500 ignition news

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C5Performance

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the time spent designing the C5 Performance GL1000-1100-1200 kit, and with the untimely passing of Louie my Goldwing mentor, the GL1500 ignition project came to a grinding stop this year.

I can happily announce the emails lately begging for me to finish the 1500cc kit have inspired me to pick up my tools and push forward with a kit.

UPDATE:
We have new coils being built that will allow the stock coils to be left in place (not sure about the Valkyrie but the Wing coils are buried deep inside).
Also, the ignition module itself is being redesigned and the dimensions are changing. I cannot finish the project until the new ignition is finished. I am told they will begin to arrive at my shop in a week or two for testing.

Will the kit be different than the 4 cylinder kits? YES

What is different? The 6 cylinder engine has a hollow camshaft that requires a special adapter before the oil seal can be installed.
Also the controller is different to run three coils instead of just two.

Will it fit the Valkyrie? YES, I have a gentleman in Florida who is eagerly awaiting our first kit. He will install the complete kit on his bike and provide photos, feedback, and design suggestions for a complete Valkyrie kit.

What will it cost? I don't know yet until the cam adapter is designed and we have a price. I expect it to be around $800 with three coils, wires, adapters, and ignition module but that is purely a guess.

When can I get one? I am hoping to have the new coils and adapter completed before the end of 2015 and will post news here and at our website www.c5ignitions.com

Thanks,

Paul
www.C5ignitions.com
[email protected]
920-403-0555

That's great news! Now if I can just get my finances back on track you'll have another wanting the 1500 kit.

as a proud user of the c5 ignition i couldnt be more pleased to see things moving to the 1500....c5 os the only company that has accommodated all the odwings and there ignition problems ....not just the 1000s...

i have loged close to 20,000 miles this yr on the hooch bike .....right now im down in fla in the orlando area ....the ignition has not caused any problems what so ever and hasnt missed a lick ...the combination of the c5 and the joedrum modded weber carb has produced a FI injection like running motor....

working with this bike taught me many things ....the custom advance curve that paul put in hooch ...i now have lots of time iin ....the number 2 curve witch is still above stock...number 3 curve is stock and number 4 curve all show lesser power as expected

but the most advance curve is the one i dial the carb in for proved to me how this is big part in the induction system as a whole .....with the muilti spark capability it changes the entire burning process of fuel charge .....and my bike sweet spot zone is a crater not a spot ....unlike other single carb set ups that seem to like heat to run right ...my set up is actually cooled instead ,,,,likke an air to air intercooler my runners are always cool to the touch as no part of the induction set up touches the hotter heads .....this has brought big power to the hooch bike and muiti spark is a big part here ....to have a intercooled naturally aspirated motor is a first really as far as i know and im rather sure its not really possible without the c5 and power arc totally accurate ignition system that fluctuates not.......it is such a shame louie has passed on ....but i think he would proud that you carried on with the oldwing projects as i am too.....this brings value to his efforts that lives on ......

C5 ignitions the best after market product ever made for oldwings ....just trounces all other products completely in my opinion

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162724#p162724:2gxi2zn0 said:
dan filipi » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:41 am[/url]":2gxi2zn0]
I'm glad you haven't forgotten about us Paul.

Thanks for the update.

I think of you guys all the time. I've got several Goldwing heads and partial frames in my shop that I trip over daily!

Now perhaps I'd better set down my donut and get some work done?

:whip:

I am working with a friend in Florida who added threaded holes to his GL1500 camshaft, so the C5 ignition standoff could be screwed in place.
Previous test parts were to be pressed in with high strength locking agent.

Next week hopefully the engine will be back in the cycle and we'll have video of it running.

This project has been very on/off the past few years but it will be nice to have another running 1500 with C5 power so we can decide if this will be available to the general public. What do you think??

The ignition is our CD-4 which looks a bit different than most of you have seen. Coils will be our newest MC-2 models.

Attachments

• gl15.jpg
    gl15.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 125
  • gl15-2.jpg
    gl15-2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 132
  • gl15-3.jpg
    gl15-3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 127
  • gl15-4.jpg
    gl15-4.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 130
I never tried using just press fit with green Lock-tite. My biggest struggle has been to find a cheap engine in case the experiment fails.
Dean thought the bolts were a good way to ensure it would work. We are trying to decide if cam mounting or crank mounting will be best.
So far I think the cam thing is the way to go. Easy to install, easy to access if there is a problem.
From memory, the crank mount hit the radiator shroud and was really tough to get mounted without tons of work.

Interesting! I like the clean look when it is installed, but then again, that can be expected with your product Paul. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

So... if someone was to purchase a kit today for an early model GoldWing (1000-1200), would we get the CD-4 unit or the older version?