2001 GL1800 rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my wife asks me how much I can get out of my 1000 since I'm buying an 1800, I looked at her and said "I'm not selling my bike!" She asks what I'm going to do with it then and I says, "Oh, I got plans..." Ever since I got my '78, I've wanted another 1000 to strip down to a standard and go for a cafe feel, turns out I bought it first...[emoji2]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193652#p193652:1gbgf8fa said:
rob.lafady » Today, 7:43 am[/url]":1gbgf8fa]
I feel like I'm just learning to ride all over again, jerky starts and when I downshift towards a stop sign, it barks the rear tire.

1800 takes some getting used to when downshifting. I find coasting (people say it should never be done) when coming to a stop, and ensuring the bike is in the appropriate gear for the speed, works well. I find going from 1st into 2nd the biggest transition on the way up. I do like the power but maintaining the 1800 with all that plastic and where some of the parts are is not an easy task. The 1800 does open up some good touring possibilities.

Enjoy.

We did a little more cleaning on the bike today and figured out why some of the lights didn't work, a little hint, if you use zip ties to hold down wiring, don't over tighten them...
c33e17eb8dc8b1ef8b2d5057b7587c46.jpg

Negotiations commenced, not that it was a difficult negotiation, we both agree that Scott should make a nice profit for his efforts and we both had the same number in mind. So as of a week ago, this beauty will be mine for $5000, not bad considering he could probably get $7000 for it elsewhere. Now if I can just get him to stop ordering things for the bike so the price doesn't go up any further...lol. I am happy with the outcome, the bike, and the experience of helping rebuild her and get her back on the road where she deserves to be. Yesterday Scott and his wife and my wife and I went for a nice 50 mile ride and my wife gives the seat a happy approval! I don't get to bring the bike to my stable just yet, Scott gas to have some work done on his 2005 and we're keeping this one at His house until his is done so he has something to ride as well.
037ab5189969d73a42ee0dc735cce6cb.jpg

mcgovern61":392rf88s said:
Great deal!! Enjoy that ride! Still thinking of changing color?
Yes, as much as I love the blue, my wife really likes the black cherry.

My how things change so quickly, I had to tell Scott to go ahead and sell the bike as I lost my job last Wednesday and can't ask him to hang onto it until I am steadily employed again. But the way I look at it, something even better is waiting for me!

Healthy way to look at it. Sorry you lost both job and bike but better stuff is coming.Took a big hit on my finances when I lost my job but this one is sooooo much more enjoyable.

Yeah, I got hit in a post-acquisition staffing adjustment in June. Seems they hit a lot of the "older" engineering staff. Interesting. I've been sort of half-heartedly looking, but may end up simply going into an early semi-retirement. (i.e. scale down discretionary spending).

Old dogs syndrome, :hi: old starting to slow down, getting paid more than the young guy who's starting to really get the swing of it. Can i do without him??? :headscratch: I truly feel your pain, :yes: wonderful golden years my ASS!!! :rant:

Sorry to hear of your loss. :doh:
I hope for a positive resolution for you soon. :yes: