OK Gas milage...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankroche

Reaction score
I have a 1200 Aspencade and it spent some time laying unused while I recovered from a stroke, but I had dosed it with Seafoam and started it about once a month as soon as I could walk again. Since I have recovered (and riding again!!) I have done maintenance and one of them was cleaning up the carbs externally with regards to vacuum leaks, removing the secondary air system, putting washers under the needles, sync, sync and sync, and adjusting the air valves (approx 2 turns each). Most of my riding is local but I am seeing 100 - 125 miles per tank, filling up when there is one bar on the gas gauge. Never fill up on the center stand.

I starts quickly, idles great (when cold 850 RPM, 950 when hot) no problem at low speeds and transitions to higher speeds, and will run in OD at 2250 RPM, and reasonably run in most any gear around town.

I realize that time spent starting and on the enrich setting affect the mileage compared to long rides, but i thing 100 miles per tank is too low. Any suggestions?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196238#p196238:8qgy5fog said:
desertrefugee » 16 minutes ago[/url]":8qgy5fog]
Check the easy stuff first that could contribute - like dirty air cleaner or sticking choke blades. Then worry about <gulp> carburetors.
:good: +1

I would also check or change spark plugs.

My '85 LTD is getting approximately 220 miles per tank city/highway. Your fuel consumption is rather low as has been mentioned.

The power band on these 1200s kicks in over 2500 rpm. Riding the bike in OD at 2250 is lugging the engine and will cost you in fuel economy. Recommend riding 2500 RPM or better in all gears.

Idle should be at 1000 +/- 100 when at operating temperature.

As mentioned, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, then look at other items.

Good luck.

Cheers

Forgot to mention, new air cleaner, and no choke blades, just an enrich circuit that appears to operate correctly ... Helps to start, causes high rpm if left on. Changed the plugs a few thousand miles ago, I should pull them to look at at least. Carbs should be fine synced, clean, appear to operate correctly, what could it be in the carbs?

If it's running excessively rich, your plugs should tell the tale (i.e. be dark and sooty). I hope you're not draining gas into the crankcase. I kinda doubt it, but smell the oil. Should not smell like gas. It should not be higher than normal, either - "extra" oil.

Hmmm it seems to run nice from your post .....mix aft in the gas for awhile ...and do check oil for gas smell ....about 6 oz of aft per tank ...1200s with no reserve ..how much gas is it taking when you fill up ...gallon wise ...

Your mpg on a 1200 should be around 40 if the bike is tuned halfway correctly. Record the miles between fill ups to check mpg; can't be accurate if you don't know how much gas was used to cover the elapsed miles.

AFT why? Is it to clean or ?
I run the trip odometer and zero it when I buy gas, so i should be able to tell every time approximate mileage.
No gas smell last time I changed to oil (about 1000 miles ago)
No gas smell when I pulled and rebuilt the starter, and had to put some in.

ATF is a good cleaner for the carbs and adds a bit of smoothness too! 8 oz per tank is enough.

I am under the opinion that the poor gas mileage is more than likely carb related. When my carbs were rebuilt quite a few years back they ran terrific. But then I started having issues and one of the easiest ones to spot was how fast I was using gas. My bike was up to 42 MPG when the carbs were first rebuilt, but in short order, I was down to 30-35 MPG. The problem was the floats were not set correctly (damaged in transit back from the rebuilder) and the float needle seals were not holding back the gas and sealing correctly. Granted, my bike is not a 1200, but carbs and mileage can often have the same issues.

Atf will not only clean the entire fuel system and keep it clean but it also adds mpg and stabilizes gas for storage.

ATF in the fuel is never a bad idea – or some other treatment elixir. But you note that the motor seems to be running well both at idle and through the gears. You also have confirmed that there's a new air cleaner, the choke is operating correctly, and that you have fresh plugs in there. You say you fill up at 100 or 120 miles or when there's one bar left on the gauge, but you don't say whether you you ever hit reserve. Do you actually know how much gas is left in the tank at 100 or 120 miles? Have you sloshed it around to see? Maybe your pick up tube is out of whack or your gauge is reading incorrectly? Just thinking out loud here ...

Why don't you just calculate the actual mileage the next couple of fill ups? That will put an end to this crazy guess work. Purple recommended that back in post number 10. I have a sneaking suspicion that your mileage is gonna turn out to be just fine.

I understand the math, line 3/120=40.
The trip odometer says 100 to 120 when I fill up. Then I do the math in my head. I assume my mileage is then the result... so if it says 120 and I put in 4 gallons I get 30 MPG, if I put in 5 gallons I get 24 MPG. When I put in 4 gallons and if i get 40 MPG the trip odo should read 160. So Iet the math.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196270#p196270:1wna5d06 said:
frankroche » Today, 9:26 am[/url]":1wna5d06]
I understand the math, line 3/120=40.
The trip odometer says 100 to 120 when I fill up. Then I do the math in my head. I assume my mileage is then the result... so if it says 120 and I put in 4 gallons I get 30 MPG, if I put in 5 gallons I get 24 MPG. When I put in 4 gallons and if i get 40 MPG the trip odo should read 160. So Iet the math.
I’ve been doing that too, simple and accurate enough. I’ve kept track over multiple tanks and it ends up about the same anyhow.

I didn't mean to sound insulting. I apologize if it came off that way. We're now on page two of trying to help isolate your issue and I don't believe I've yet seen a simple MPG calculation on your actual fuel consumption. Miles per tank is not a very accurate method of conveying fuel usage. So, let's get an actual calculation and go from there. Either way, we'll get to the bottom of it, but it would be very helpful to know what we're dealing with.