Finally a GL-1200 owner...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So tell me... on an '84 GL1200 Aspencade... all stock... fairing and bags all OEM... about what speed in overdrive should I expect it to run out of horsepower... or in short... if I roll on from 65mph in top gear, on flat land, at 700ft ASL, 95F, 75% humidity at what speed wind drag and rolling resistance reach the crossing point of the torque curve? 110? 120?

Dan wrote;
My 1100 full dress 2 up will run out of steam about 110. Only done it once and not for long. :laptop:
That's about right, :yes: the 1200's are slower out of the hole, but more than make up for it once you get rolling. :thank_you: 4,000 R P M's on my old 1100's was about 60 M P H, compared to the 1200's at about 80 M P H. :yahoo: Never have reached the top speed of my 1200 standard yet, :nea: but 130 on the speedometer was reached once. :whip: You run out of road way too fast around here for that stuff, and some cops can get pretty exited about such behavior :heat: believe it or not! :hihihi:

Found this chart on the net. Don't know how accurate it is but it gives some comparisons:
Honda Goldwing Speed Chart.jpg
This forum thread has a 1200 on a dyno with graphs: https://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/s ... 2#pid44852

This is a word file with the graphs:View attachment Dyno Testing.doc

Cheers

Nice chart ...the hooch bike with its 86 1200 motor and 1200 final drive does run about 80mph at 4000 rpm .....the way it pulls around 100mph ...I can't see it not getting at least 7000rpm in fifth gear ...that around 140mph...deal is the bikes frame and all is just not capable of going there as it is ....under wot hooch is like automatic nightmare just before 100mph ...I've thought about this a lot ...I'm thinking it has a lot to do with the shaft drive on a oldwing trying to push the bike sideways ...front gets real lite and the bike pushes the front forks ...from the factory these bikes track about a 1/2" off ,,,I think this was done on purpose to off set the shaft drive push ...or chassis jacking it also called ...so to me top speed is limited on these bikes set up wise ...sure is on my modded oldwing hooch...the motor has much more than bike does

Interesting chart...

So... would it be possible for a guy to use a 1200, with the 0.8 OD transmission gears from an 85-87, but the 0.825 secondary reduction from a GL1000, and a 2.83 final from 84-on, wiht a 130/90/17 from an early GL1000... or are there fundamental issues that'd prevent that combination?

No ....im rather sure the secondary reduction unit wouldn’t fit ...and the wheel would not matchup either to the 2.83 final ... complete units might switch out in trans ...I’ve never done that From 1000 to 1200 ....and complete final drives to different frame ...with mucho work ...I have 1200 in 1000 frame bike with 1200 swing arm and final in it ....lots of modding to get done ...

Sorry DaveKamp but you didn't give me time of day, rider weight or blood alcohol level. then I will google that.
:laptop:

hee hee... Middle of daylight hours, so forward obstructions are in clear view... BAC = 0.00000000%... and 200lbs...

It's been rather chilly here since oh... mid October or so... but today I woke up to 44F and clear sky, prediction of mid '60's so I rode to work. By golly, when I ran to Fastenal for hoisting straps and a clevis, it was right at 70F... windy, but warm... so on the way back, I took the back way, stopped at a roadside bar'n grille for a double cheeseburger and fries...

It was a great day. ;-)