3ohm dyna (green) coils on an 1100?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used these on my old 78. I have some I am thinkin of using on my 1100.

If I recall they work but can't recall if the b.resistor is eliminated.

There is a b. resistor on the stock coil if I'm correct...

Anybody running green dyna coils on their 1100?

Thanks,

Pony

still here....been busy with house remodeling.

Pony Ruiz":369wiacu said:
I used these on my old 78. I have some I am thinkin of using on my 1100.

If I recall they work but can't recall if the b.resistor is eliminated.

There is a b. resistor on the stock coil if I'm correct...

Anybody running green dyna coils on their 1100?

Thanks,

Pony

still here....been busy with house remodeling.
I put green Dyna coils on my 75 gl1000 with no (ballister or resistor ) but I have dyna electronic ignition

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I've got the 3 ohm dyna coils and dyna resistor ht leads on my '80 GL1100. No ballast resistor.

There were no ballast resistor with the original coils either. Ignition is stock apart from the above.

wires as in spark plug wires.. got it.

thanks!

I tried those once on my 78 with a dyna ingnition - could not get them to work...switched to copper fired right up... Obviously things are different this go round.

Until later...when I report back.

Ok so Vestjy.......
Curious...
how did you come up with this combination on the 1100?

I am going to try maybe when I decide what ignition to put on my 1000. Points/hondaman/green coils or the C5 I bought for the 1100. I was going to sell the 1100.....still pondering this.

How's things in Denmark? I had a nephew studying there but never made it over.

Hasta Luego

The bike had a full fairing when I got it and I converted it to a naked. I changed the instrument cluster to a digital one from motogadget. But I had som trouble with interference so i changed the spark plug caps to resistor caps.

Then a couple of months ago it started misfiring on the rear cylinders and I discovered a crack in one of the coils.
So i changed the coils and spark plug wires to Dyna.

I would also like to change the pickups and advance unit to some electronic system, but I think the C5 is quite expensive. So I'm looking for alternatives :)

I like it here in Denmark, but the weather could be better. Riding season is pretty much over, it's just rain and cold weather until winther. So it's time to get the bike in the garage for a winther tune-up :)

I can only find one kit for the GL1100 on their website. It's the same as for the GL1000 and is mounted to the cam. So it requires you to drill and tap the cam and get a points housing from a GL1000.

It also includes the coils and as I have almost brand new coils I don't really think it's worth it.

I haven't seen any cheaper or stand alone version of the C5.

Rae-San is working on a hall effect ignition for the GL1100 and GL1200, but the project might be on standby right now. There are no recent updates to his website.

I think Paul and the C5 folks are working on a different version for the 1000 that incorporates using the stock cover. Not sure about what is in store for the 1100. I found some 77 cams and rockers to do the 1100 but I'm pondering using that kit for the 1000. I might get to it in 2018 :)

So Vestj.... how did you determine copper core wires were not the ticket for your setup?

Yeah, I hear you on the weather. I'm in Seattle, Washington. We get cloudy and rainy for the next 7-8 months. There is still some good days to take a spin...even if it is cold. I switched to LED's so my heated glove liners work better. Full on fairing is the ticket in the cold and wet.

I'm headed to Chile in a couple weeks tho.....its gonna be spring down there! :music:

Well, Motogadget recommends that the ignition is suppressed to minimize interference. So either the wires, the spark plug caps or the spark plug itself should have a resistor built in.
And since my spark plugs were changed this spring and i had to get new spark plug wires to fit the dyna coils anyway, this was just the easiest solution :)

My old spark plug caps had a 5 kOhm resistor built in, but the Dyna wires come pre-crimped with the spark plug caps. So i got the Dyna wires with a grapphite core.

C5 is more versatile and easier to install and much cheaper than adapting a car MSD ignition. Would I buy it for a bike I planned to fix and sell? No. But it's cheaper than a lot of other things we do to our bikes. To each his own.