New 1800 Goldwing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I still would rather have an oldwing hooch with some of the upgrades like the front forks ...to me simple is best ...one thing never mentioned is price ...how could anyone justify that kind of money ...unless it grows on trees in your back yard ...wow the auto trans sounds like a nightmare if something went wrong ...I sure would like a sixth gear though ...the brakes sound rather nightmare too ...but it’s amazing how high tech the bike is ...for ones with money to burn I’d get it

Lots of money out there. Have to attract the next generation of GW riders. Bells and whistles, and support your local dealer with this technology. Honda is doing 10 years of free GPS map upgrades, can you negotiate an OEM service manual with the bike? Would also need a new garage to put it in. Looking forward to seeing it at the Toronto bike show. Should create a lot of interest.

Yes there are plenty of people out there with money to burn. Crazy the things people spend money on. Cost is all relative.
To me, $6,000 is a lot to pay for a new KLR, or $25,000 for a naked Harley. So many over extend themselves also. Seems the reality of things these days.
If I had the money, I’d have a new Goldwing and Harley in the garage but no way I’d go into (further) debt for either.

I love how much smaller it looks next to the older model. More power and less weight plus 6 pot front calipers. :yahoo:
Unfortunately without a windfall there isn't much chance of one finding its way into my stable. :fiddle:

This might sound a little pompous (or biased), but I swear that a 20 year old Valkyrie Tourer is a tough act to follow. It would have to be something pretty special to lure me away. This new 'wing (price not withstanding) is not it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197237#p197237:kt9mt1ap said:
canuckxxxx » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:22 pm[/url]":kt9mt1ap]
It is a great looking bike and I would love to have one. But what is up with the saddle bags. Are they just for looks. Don't look like they would hold much.
In the lightening of the bike not only did it lose some fuel capacity but also storage capacity, it is now not the leader in its class of storage capacity by 5lts to the BMW.

That is a really great write up plus videos! I learned everything I needed to know about the new 1800. I have to admit, I love the idea of the DCT. :oops:

I don't mind shifting, but it doesn't really add anything to my riding experience and I would just as soon go with a DCT. (Yeah, I'm getting old.)

There are a lot of features I really like. Way into my future, I might consider one. But new? I wish!

We recently traded in our 2011 Ford Fusion for a used 2014 Lincoln MKZ (wow, what a car!) and the used Lincoln MKZ was still far cheaper than the touring Goldwing 1800. :shock:

I know what you mean Gerry. I had tried a few new bikes back around 2010-12 and every time I got back onto my $2000 aud CBR and rode off from a dealership I really couldn't justify a new model bike for something that I wasn't going to use every day. I did ride the VFR1200 with double clutch when they were first released here in Oz and was blown away by how well they went. In 2010 when they were released here they were $28k aud plus another $3k aud for panniers and top box. :doh:
Even though the DCT was only $800 aud dearer than the 6 speed manual I was always paranoid about the future servicing costs and would not have bought the first series DCT without knowing what that meant in future $. A few years later old stock of new 2010 VFR1200s were being sold of for $20k including the luggage which was a lot closer to reality.
With the new Goldwing I too would be going for a DCT as I love the idea of a mechanical reverse. Unfortunately I think that they will cost more than the wife's Subaru Outback so there isn't any real chance of me getting one unless I win one in a competition. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197281#p197281:3t6nvi02 said:
skiri251 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 am[/url]":3t6nvi02]
For those prices, I would just buy a car.
So much more comfortable and safer. LOL
:yes: :doh:

I Like a lot of these things , BUT , they are like new Cars, they would be Impossible to work on in your Yard . . without a ton of Equipment anyway .

the new 1800 goldwing is impressive but it is going away of the meaning of goldwing as i understand and love. luggage and fuel going back, sportiness like a R-bike. my oldwing 1200 has more room for my luggage, about 30-40 liters more. i think i'll get a problem with the new one. prices are high, far too high for me. when they sold my bike new the price was aprox a third of the new one. is the new 3 times better than my oldwing? i don't think. i don't get 3 times the money i earned back in 86. i will keep my old oldwing and enjoy it without reverse gear :)