single carb conversion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I picked up another gl1200. It sat for 15 years. I knew that going in and my one prerequisite was the motor had to turn over which it does. So now I've got the carb rack off and on the bench. After tearing one carb apart to see what kind of shape it's in I find everything is froze. I think the carbs are toast. So I'm considering doing the single carb conversion. It doesn't look all that difficult. But my one question is do I block off the secondary air supply system?

Attachments

• 4-12.jpg
    4-12.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 213
Thanks all. I wasn't sure if eliminating that air supply would adversely affect performance. So next is a diy intake manifold. Think I got that covered with all the info online on how it's done. I'll post back as my project moves along.

Bill

Removing it, even with the stock carbs, improves performance. The stock system is designed so that it is intentionally lean. Removing the secondary air system and fine tuning the carb gets rid of this condition.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198306#p198306:2eu1gkf5 said:
Dadster » December 5th, 2017, 10:49 pm[/url]":2eu1gkf5]
OK I picked up another gl1200. It sat for 15 years. I knew that going in and my one prerequisite was the motor had to turn over which it does. So now I've got the carb rack off and on the bench. After tearing one carb apart to see what kind of shape it's in I find everything is froze. I think the carbs are toast. So I'm considering doing the single carb conversion. It doesn't look all that difficult. But my one question is do I block off the secondary air supply system?
file.php
I went the sc route on my gl1100 with a vw 34 pic 3 and i had a heck of a time dialing it in. I adjusted as best i could and it still ran rich. Running better now though.
currently am working on "The Wanderer III" which is a 1985 gl1200 aspy and have the carbs out. So I must decide which way too go.
good luck !

Here's a video finally firing up the bike with the single carb temporarily installed. Blew out half chewed acorns and clumps of a nest of some sort from the exhaust. Smokes a lot but I had Marvel MO in the cylinders soaking for quite a while. Didn't want to run it too much, I have the radiator off to flush and paint. I just wanted to make sure it would run. I'll keep you posted as things get done.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012378195774