86 Aspy speedo is optimistic and I hate math

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squatchmo

Reaction score
So I noticed my speedometer is waaay off when compared to my GPS. Like 6-7 mph off at highway speeds. I remember my other 80's rides were always "optimistic", but not that far off! Is there anything that can be done about that, other than math... or putting a tractor tire up front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there isn’t much can be done to correct it since the mechanical workings in the speedo over time fatigue and wear. Used to be a a corrector could be placed inline on the cable but that was for tire size correction. Only other thing I can think of is Check that you have the correct size OEM tire.

On the Aspy models this is electronics. Hall effect switch in the speedo hub, signal to the digital speedo dash. The amount the speedo is off isn't that far, if that was at 60. If it's like mine it'll be showing 60 but checked against mile makers and time the speed will be below that. With that said I think mine changes based on the amount of queertrons that are running loose. I say this because every time I've checked it I'll get a different speed, might be a bit low or almost exact. I guess if I used gps I'd know for sure. The speed variation also varies with the speed you're running. These observations are my $0.02 worth.

AApple":169jmq84 said:
"Way off" how? Too fast, or too slow? :headscratch:

At 60 indicated, my actual speed is 54. At 80 indicated, my actual speed is 73.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all Japan bikes used to say right on a sticker on the speedo , said it shows More than its doing , and some of them was around 10 mph off . always on the high side.

You are almost bang on with my '06 GL1800, and all others '01 - '10. Honda intended it this way. Don't know why. The odometer is off, too - there were threats of a class action claiming attempt to defraud by running out of warranty too soon, but that fell through. GL1800s can get a "speedo healer", but I don't see the need. A little math never hurt anyone (as long as it is correct).

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk