the Hunley, or pidjones needed a project - '78 frame with '75 engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mcgovern61":3bzsqg7p said:
Glad to see you are back at it! Congratulations on retirement, but it sounds like you would have liked better terms.
Actually, I left on the day that I'd picked a few years earlier, only with a severance check and 6 months paid Cobra! They've already called to see if I'd be willing to come back for 3 or 4 stints of 3-4 weeks. At consultant pay. I'm fine, and loving the freedom!

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198277#p198277:1iin507m said:
pidjones » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:59 am[/url]":1iin507m]
mcgovern61":1iin507m said:
Glad to see you are back at it! Congratulations on retirement, but it sounds like you would have liked better terms.
Actually, I left on the day that I'd picked a few years earlier, only with a severance check and 6 months paid Cobra! They've already called to see if I'd be willing to come back for 3 or 4 stints of 3-4 weeks. At consultant pay. I'm fine, and loving the freedom!

:good: :salute:

Right head off. Not real good news. Lapped the #3 intake with the old valve the put a new valve in - Prusion Blue check looked good. Then I pulled #3 exhaust. I'm checking on finding a place to grind the seats, then buy new valves. All pitted up, way beyond lapping. I know used heads are out there, just would rather keep these if possible. How much can be ground on these? I know the valves can't be because of a thin coating on them.

This is after a quick lap. Pits too deep to lap out.
4ad836c9935e41df53a06466c3a91a6f.jpg
e031754695bdd25d26acdba6a6275068.jpg

Left head off today. Those cylinders look great. Hopefully the valves will only need lapped. Looking for someone to cut the seats on the right head.

Today's update: valves out, lapped, will go ahead and get this head recut, too. Will only need to replace 3 intake and one exhaust valve total. Putting Parts-n-More list together. Head gasket is cleaned off the heads. Tomorrow I'll drive over to Pistol Pete's to see what he does for cutting seats.

Unexpected surprise today. Finally found a machine shop to re-cut the seats in the head. He did it while I stood there - all eight seats done in 10 minutes for 10 dollars! Now to get the valves and other items on order.

Well, made up for the $$ savings last night and today by ordering about $200 worth of parts. Decided all new valves (well, minus one I already had) were needed as I found pitting and very little Stelite on their seating surface. Wish they were the old kind that could have just been reground.

Another thing I'd like to do is paint the block, transmission, alternator cover etc. I'll leave the heads, valve and belt covers unpainted - but polished up some. Since the fenders, shelter, and side-tins will be painted a dark metallic green, I think a dark red-ish color for the cases. POR-15 engine paint is available in MG Maroon. I think I'll order a can from Amazon.

I have a question for those with experience:
I need to pull the starter to clean and paint behind it. Cleaning will be a lot easier if it is on its side. So... if the starter is removed and the engine turned on its side, will the starter gear flop into never-never land?

Been told to lay the bike on it's left side, with exhaust pipe removed. Remember to go easy, and it's SUPPOSED to slide back in with gentle side to side as well as up and down movements so splines realign to slide in place.

Don't give the sprocket a chance to leave, take it out.

The chain will stay in place unless you get totally rambunctious. I have threaded a large rubber band through the chain and tied it off to ease putting the starter back. Small bungee cords or wire can also keep tension on the chain to make it stay in place. I guess you could wire tie the sprocket to the chain, if you wanted to leave the sprocket in the chain.

Re-installing the starter goes easier if you tilt the engine to the left enough to center the chain in the opening before trying to get the starter sprocket into the chain.

Hmm. Guess I'll not temp fate (too much) and leave it on while it is on its side, then take it off with the block upright to clean behind it. Maybe with that experience I'll feel good to pull it again for painting. Have built a frame for lifting it out of old pipe and fittings from a cover we used to have over a boat. It's been lifted off of the furniture dolly and presently rests on the floor. I'll get cardboard and old carpet to pad under it for rolling side-to-side, then finish with it hoisted from the frame. Valves came in today and paint is due next week, plus it is supposed to be warmer next week allowing the garage door to be open letting fumes out. Basement garage, so don't want to stink up the house with paint fumes.