New 1800 Goldwing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no way I would not want one of the new Gold Wings. Checks off all of my boxes. More power, great suspension and ride, all the geegaws you could want. A lot of the improvements that 1800 owners asked for have been addressed. I get tired of having to work on the Gold Witch; it would be nice to have a bike that all I have to do is get on it and go. Besides I always have something to work on to keep me busy and broke.

Having less storage is always a problem. There is never enough with a motorcycle. The dash reminds me of an Accord or something but it's been going that way for a while now. I'm in, just too much for a retiree.

Being a Goldwing guy my whole life, Whats not to like about it! Went & sat on them last week in Minneapolis. Beautiful bike! One that when it depreciates enough for me to afford. I'll be to old to hold it up!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198588#p198588:atwz4639 said:
silverbullet » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:44 pm[/url]":atwz4639]
Being a Goldwing guy my whole life, Whats not to like about it! Went & sat on them last week in Minneapolis. Beautiful bike! One that when it depreciates enough for me to afford. I'll be to old to hold it up!

I 100% agree. I've always gone down that road, (thought that way) I'll be in my 70's when they're 10 years old, so I guess we'll see what happens then.

there are a lot of things on the new GW I like the looks of , but , like most have said I really can't afford it , and I think my 86 may just outlast Me.... :builder:

I had and drove all the Wings, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1500, 1800. I did like the 1500 and 1800 Wings but, my best is my 1998 Valk, easy to work on and reliable ( not as many gadgets to break down ) I don't like the looks of the new Wing and there are to many things that could go wrong with all that new stuff that you can't fix yourself.

sledge":borwuesu said:
there are a lot of things on the new GW I like the looks of , but , like most have said I really can't afford it , and I think my 86 may just outlast Me.... :builder:
hi sledge
you have a wonderfull ride with your sei. my 86 asp has carbs and it is also nice to ride and to have. i am happy i could afford mine. i've the same problem with the 1800 plus it scares thinking about expensive electronics when they go mad. want to try one but won't buy one unless lottery comes to me :). enjoy your ride!

I never thought I would ever be able to afford an 1800 either. When I walked into a dealership a year & a half ago & seen that pretty orange 02 (that I fell in love with in 2002) it wasn't hard to part with my 78 1000 & $5.500. Mine has a fork brace on it & it still amazes me how well & nimble this bike handles! Bought it with 91.000 miles & it now has 104.000 miles on it & it will probably last me my lifetime (I'm 64)
If you look around there's plenty of VERY AFFORDABLE 1800's out there. Knowing what I know now sometimes I wishes I would of waited & got one with less miles.Then again I love the orange! But hey a fellow in a neighboring town has a yellow one with 484.000 miles on it. And with people lining up to get their hands on the new 1800's I have a feeling the market for used 1800's is going to the buyers favor.

I've had an '06 since new and have 110k miles on it. I feel it is just getting broke in, but only one thing holds me back from trading. It just isn't right for two normal sized older Americans to tour on. A little too small, and not enough storage (although we have already added a uni-go for the '06). If I rode one-up, the new 'wing would definitely be at the top of my wish list in a year or two.

Price isn't really much higher than the '17 and yes, it does have a center stand (on the tour model). The GL1800 forums that I frequent are split over it, but no one has really bought one and driven it as they just are not yet available. I have seen the prices on nice used GL1800s drop like a rock, however. I don't feel that it is warranted, but the guys don't expect a good trade value so they are all listing them on the sites, Craigslist, etc. One nearby friend is giving his '02 with full monty Traxxion to his son and buying the '18.

being a solo rider the new wing could work for me but it just doesn't have the appeal for me. has more power that the '17 wing, yes five more hp, probably handles better with better suspension front and rear but then there is the less luggage capacity thing to deal with. when I get on my wing I don't want to have to strap the wolfman expedition dry bag on, I want every thing to fit in the bags and trunk that are on the bike

After Honda unloads your wallet, you won't have to worry about luggage space. You'll only be able to afford day trips! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198792#p198792:2epua5uo said:
julimike54 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:16 pm[/url]":2epua5uo]
After Honda unloads your wallet, you won't have to worry about luggage space. You'll only be able to afford day trips! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

What he said... :smilie_happy: