Dual Weber IDF 40 Setup - What's it worth?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:popcorn: hoping to follow this to the road ...I'm sure desert will give a true evaluation of the mod ....something I've never seen yet ...with this set up....what a joke the Randall's priority jetting scam that was enforced by his ego of bull shit...like he owned it ...I've never seen anything in my life as ridicules as his business policies and practices....in my opinion

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=193536#p193536:12q7i1md said:
joedrum » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:13 pm[/url]":12q7i1md]
:popcorn: hoping to follow this to the road ...I'm sure desert will give a true evaluation of the mod ....something I've never seen yet ...with this set up....what a joke the Randall's priority jetting scam that was enforced by his ego of bull shit...like he owned it ...I've never seen anything in my life as ridicules as his business policies and practices....in my opinion

Wow! I always kinda thought this, too. He's pretty high on himself - but often that's what it takes to have the cajones to run a niche business. I got a box full of Weber bits, rebuilt kits, various venturi, jet kit - I'm glad I didn't have to pay Randakk's price. The welds aren't that pretty on the intakes. I may need to do some grinding on them, too. Not really chrome worthy as they stand.

This project will happen in a couple of months when it cools off and I can spend some time in the garage futzing with it. For now, I have an electric fuel pump to install.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=193535#p193535:2kazbx8r said:
slabghost » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:03 pm[/url]":2kazbx8r]
Best of luck to you. I hope they give you what you seek.

To be honest, it's all about the look. The "wow" factor. If there's a performance boost, cool. If ridability and/or performance cannot be achieved, I am not afraid to cut my losses and sell out to a Porche or VW enthusiast! (Or another brave GL'er).

We'll help what we can through suggestions. Wow factor aside this is like relocating stock carbs to some extent. Effectively it's like 4 separate carbs. so each will have to be tuned to the others.

I think I live vicariously through other forum members. There are so many things I would like to try but never have the time or resources to do, but I can watch others do it an see what pitfalls to avoid when/if I do something similar myself. I like the look of dual weber's and if I ever get a 1000, it will have a pair.

I really havnt a clue ....but I bet hooch could use all the gas this set up has potential for ...but I'll never probably know ..this set up even at bargain prices is to strong for me ...and I could never take care of something like this good enough to keep it out of the rain and elements ....but I am sure interested in this project ...there's another guy across the pond that's is doing this also ...havnt heard from him lately ...hope his project going well too

It's got the look !!
IMG_2601.JPG

Well, I've got what I believe is a pretty complete list of parts needed to get these things configured. The bits that were included were a mish-mash with only a complete config for one carb. I need all jets and rubbers for the other. The "other" has no main venturi's installed, but I have the 28's to go in.

...and that brings me to my first problem. The auxiliary venturi's are really stuck in these babies. In fact, that might just be why the last guy gave up. As you can see in this photo, the one on the left was partially pulled out and seems to be stuck there. You can't see it in this photo, but both of these auxiliary venturi's are also rotated slightly clockwise a few minutes.
IMG_5205.JPG

Is there a trick to getting these stinking things out? I'd like to have the carbs ready to go when garage season is here. Besides one full kit (~$25) I need jets for the unit above.

I just need to decide what I want to do with the manifolds: natural, powder coat, paint or chrome.
IMG_5204.JPG

Wow ...that's a mess ....the venturris is a great way to control air ....on the down side is the fact if you get the air good at low rpm ...it will suffer some at full flow WOT ...it sure does look like the previous guy with the carbs didn't get to close to running good ..if at all ...you will have to really get serious with this set up.....but I also think the field is wide open ...I would like to be where your at and try to make these carbs work at a high level...
T

OK. I spent the last couple of days spiffing up the shop and am feeling pretty good about myself because of it. I spent some time this evening with the Weber I noted in Post #30 with the stuck aux venturis. With a little Rolling Rock, a little Stevie Ray Vaughan, a drift a small hammer, they were out. No trouble at all, actually.

I am in need of one set of jets and one kit. (If I assume as the PO says that he finished the other carb). It looks good and has the right jets and venturi, so ... I dunno. I'd probably better go through both of them. They're a heckuva lot easier to deal with than the OEM rack.

I am not in a hurry here, but I have gotten the ball rolling again! I will start also collecting hardware to fashion the linkage.

Stay tuned.

Attachments

• IMG_5560.JPG
    IMG_5560.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 144
Got the carb kits and new jets in. Getting the carbs built. One was close. Hope the baseline jetting is close. Now I need to complete acquiring all the hardware for the linkage. According to Randakk's recipe, there's a lot that's recommended to get a solid, reliable setup. Yikes.

More to come...

One thing is for sure, these Webers are a pleasure to work with compared to the Honda factory 1000 units.
IMG_5581.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG

Those do not look like real Weber’s. The real ones say Weber on the aluminum plate at the accelerator pump. .
0a1eb9df0e8d5bea5828cc2d1dfa584e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:smilie_happy:

I am a slacker. Putting the kits in today, I found that one of the two carbs was missing the accelerator pump spring. Another delay. I have "most" of the parts for the linkage. I just have to force myself to take a great-running GL1000 down for surgery - after which it will probably run like a cement mixer for a while. Coming soon.

And it gets worse. I got two Webers. One was already "rebuilt". Had fresh gaskets showing, so I didn't dispute it. For sanity's sake, I opened it up. It was rebuilt, has the correct components...mostly...but is missing a critical valve in the enrichening (choke) circuit that has been blocked off. Most folks do block these off, but the internal valve needs to be there and CLOSED. Otherwise, it's full-on choke on that barrel.

Wanna know what's worse? Apparently, those parts are NLA! I even called the Redline tech number and got confirmation on that. Guy said that fashioning a dowel rod to plug the hole could work. But, I did some reading that suggests this is a pretty tricky operation and that the bottom of the passage needs to be completely blocked. Sheesh. Another snag. Not happy. Stay tuned!

Carb_starter_cover_removed.jpg

Missing Valve.jpg

Latest posts