Careful of advise taken on some sites

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't believe what I read:
The problem: I got oil and smoke coming from cylinder 3. Any advice on where to get rings for a 1983 gl1100i? Any help would be great.

The advise:
IMG_3219.PNG

Remove jug and head, WTH, and qualifies it by being a mechanic. I want to see that jug :Doh2: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I am assuming that this is from Facebook. I follow a gl 1000-1200 page and a Valkyrie page and rarely comment due to the absurdity of both the questions and comments. I don’t know why people believe that Facebook is preferable to Google. As an old bloke all I want to scream nowadays is “ Google It!!” when someone asks a question as I am sick of asking the question “ have you Googled it?” as the answer almost always seems to be “ not yet!” :doh:

Yes it's from a Facebook group dedicated to Goldwings with nearly 2900 members. The guy figured out it was a head gasket so he must not have listened to the "expert", :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: I rarely comment on those sites either Tony.

I bet the feller is....

:yes:

perhaps cm85 has moved on to facebook now, since he's be pretty much banned from any of the forums :hihihi: ?

Interesting topic, this one. A few years ago, I befriended a local fellow on the VMax forum. He provided a lot of input on that forum and never seemed arrogant. I ended up arranging a couple of rides with him. Turned out he didn't know one end of a screwdriver from another! Perfect example of an internet mechanic.

Hmmmm I can tell you there many on the internet who have reputations of gurus and in my opinion ..they just posted out crap as facts ...mislead projects ...and don’t know shit ...personally my bike hooch is an example of everything they said couldn’t be ...so one has to know the forums are info to consider might good info might be bad info

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199677#p199677:342hlwek said:
desertrefugee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:35 am[/url]":342hlwek]
Interesting topic, this one. A few years ago, I befriended a local fellow on the VMax forum. He provided a lot of input on that forum and never seemed arrogant. I ended up arranging a couple of rides with him. Turned out he didn't know one end of a screwdriver from another! Perfect example of an internet mechanic.

I really like to see posts when you know that the person is real and actually does their own work. :good:
I was getting worried when I read your post and thought that I was going to be called out for underestimating the professionalism of the VMax forum But at least it had a happy (expected) ending for me. :heat:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Yep exactly. Internet mechanic says it all.

I see much too often, posts made that simply copied something from a page with a Google search as they’re answer. Sometimes it helps but often it doesn’t.... because the poster didnt know the first thing about the subject so he could qualify the answer. Captain Midnight (aka cm, cm85) comes to mind.

The vintage stereo and audio forums are the same - too many who pretend they know what they're talking about, thinking they're impressing someone. Fortunately, someone usually jumps in and corrects it before serious damage is done.

I wonder how many screwed up their bikes after reading crap from cm85 and others like him...sad.

Anonymity is a boon to some. I am of the opinion you should peruse all that is available, sift through the information and come up with a decision that you can be comfortable with. Used this approach when I was the engineering officer on HMCS IROQUOIS, gas turbine frigate, and yes before anyone mentions it, we do have a few good ships in our Navy, small but mighty comes to mind. Sort of like putting 5 engineers in the same room and getting six opinions - not meaning to be disparaging or anything! :music:

I'm also of the opinion that if possible, it's good to meet those who you converse with online, put a name to a face. Never know where this networking will take you, and it's easier to get a feel for the person.

When I come across Canada on my second '85 LTD, going to try and meet up with a few other members as well, even if it is just for a coffee.

I'm certain there are those out there that think I'm one of these as well. I will admit that this has been a learning curve for me and appreciate all the help given.

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199686#p199686:2kk01vso said:
Rednaxs60 » Today, 4:11 pm[/url]":2kk01vso]
I'm certain there are those out there that think I'm one of these as well.
Just a few thoughts.

Cheers

One of "those"? No way my friend. FAR from it!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199686#p199686:dtq39cf8 said:
Rednaxs60 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:11 pm[/url]":dtq39cf8]
Sort of like putting 5 engineers in the same room and getting six opinions - not meaning to be disparaging or anything! :music:

Cheers

Some of the most complex aircraft mechanical problems I saw during my time in the Navy were never solved by mechanics alone. They were always solved by getting a group together to solve them. Pilots, Flight Engineers, and Mechanics all working together can really work through a problem once they all set their egos aside.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199697#p199697:2aq0zrid said:
joedrum » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:10 am[/url]":2aq0zrid]
No way I’m thought to be keyboard know it all ....I’m more a keyboard guru assasin....

No Joe... you are just a keyboard assassin!!!!

:smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199698#p199698:38f2jrnt said:
brianinpa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:09 am[/url]":38f2jrnt]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199686#p199686:38f2jrnt said:
Rednaxs60 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:11 pm[/url]":38f2jrnt]
Sort of like putting 5 engineers in the same room and getting six opinions - not meaning to be disparaging or anything! :music:

Cheers

Some of the most complex aircraft mechanical problems I saw during my time in the Navy were never solved by mechanics alone. They were always solved by getting a group together to solve them. Pilots, Flight Engineers, and Mechanics all working together can really work through a problem once they all set their egos aside.

I agree ...this forum works like that ...most here post thoughts before making moves on there bikes ....yep no smart hands from me on a keyboard :smilie_happy:

Latest posts