Dual Weber IDF 40 Setup - What's it worth?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm rolling again. Shouldn't have panicked. You all may know that I also sport around in a Westfalia and, so, I'm a member over on "The Samba" - the definitive VW website and forum. Popped into the Performance Forum and, of course, there are lots of Weber gurus over there. Turns out this is an easy obstacle to overcome.

Flip the carb over, tap the outlet of the enrichening circuit and plug it with an appropriately sized setscrew!

Whew!

I may be slow, but the project (to me) is half the fun!

Attachments

• IMG_5588 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5588 - Copy.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 84
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=200406#p200406:1sr0t8t9 said:
joedrum » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:22 am[/url]":1sr0t8t9]
Sorry I’ve been absent on this thread ..I have been suffering from stupid computer fingers lately and couldn’t post lol

I noticed you were away. Wasn't worried, though. You're a big boy. Hope all is going well with the house project.

I am just about to head out to the garage to start molding my aluminum cross-brace into shape for the linkage. Carbs are ready to go - except for the post-install tuning. I'm going to paint the intakes for now with the Duplicolor code folks have recommended here as the closest match. I already have the paint, but forget the code at the moment. Luckily, it is also a very close match to the color of the Weber bodies.

While I have the bike on the table, I'll be pulling the carbs off and doing the Weber thing, but I think I'll also re-visit the 1200 hydro clutch and the drive output main seal (again!). I'm thinking the bike will be off-line for a bit.

I think today's music to work by will be . . . John Mayall.

I've run into a bit of a snag. The intakes are a bit off on the headside flanges. I guess I could ream out the "threaded" holes, but I sort of expected a closer alignment. Both intakes have identical offset in both angle and distance. Found the issue after finally getting the coin together to rebuild the carbs, acquire linkage hardware, grind the welds, paint and pull the stock carb rack. Just a bit disappointed. I didn't buy mine directly from Randakk, but from the fellow who did and got all the instructions from him. He'd never installed it. Maybe this is why?

This has been reported before. I'm hoping the alignment procedure Randakk has developed for this issue resolves mine. I've contacted the Customer Service team. If I do ream the holes, there's still a bit of a mismatch on the ports that will require a slight messaging with the Dremel. Hope I can avoid that, but it's not an insurmountable obstacle. A snag. An unexpected snag.

Pending...

IMG_5649.JPG

IMG_5650.JPG

Yeah, that's what I'm planning. Shouldn't have to, but "ya gotta do what ya gotta do". Either way, it was enough to make me stop for the day. That and the burnt finger on the hot aluminum cross brace I was molding into shape.

I would wait to drill anything out. Knowing what these manifolds are like, you can probably put a broom stick in each hole and give it a little tug apart to straighten it out.

Ridiculously easy adjustment. I'm actually a bit embarrassed I posted a problem. Shows how much of a crutch this forum can be if you let it - instead of using some common sense. Coupla raps with a ball peen hammer and they slid right on.

The intake manifolds fit just fine. Now to get down to business.
IMG_5652.JPG

Here's a perfectly dialed in set of OEM carbs now on the shelf. Am I nuts?
IMG_5651.JPG

I made a little more progress this afternoon. Got the carbs set into place. I found that the breathers I have won't clear the shelter sidecovers, so I'll have to run either stacks or something verrrry narrow. Or scallop some sidecovers for these carbs. (Not these, a "backup" set!)

I was going to try a slightly different approach on the linkage, but it's proving to be too much of a hassle. So, I backtracked and am following the established path with a cross brace to mount the pivot onto. I had some aluminum stock on hand, but a little smaller than is described in the Randakk literature. I'm trying it and like the smaller profile, but had to take some material out in a couple of spots to the point where I'm not sure it'll be strong enough for longterm reliability. (Possible breakage).

I got motivated to get the assembly in place since, really, that's the only way you can get after it. Thinking about how to make it work doesn't get it done. Only by mocking it up can progress be made.

So, the easy part is done. Now it's getting the linkage finalized and the carbs tuned. I'm actually getting kind of excited.

(Did I mention how freakin' expensive stainless hardware is??) Sheesh.

Attachments

• IMG_5653.JPG
    IMG_5653.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5656.JPG
    IMG_5656.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 74
Sheesh. No pressure. You guys are ridiculous.

Anyway, Two things going on here. One, we're in the middle of a cold snap for Arizona. Two, I have the beginnings of a massive cold – I hope it's not the flu.

As for the project content, Dave might be right about scalloping these side covers. I certainly hadn't anticipated a need to do that, but the more I look at this thing, the more I think there's not going to be enough clearance unless something happens.

Attachments

• IMG_5661.JPG
    IMG_5661.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 58