Dual Weber IDF 40 Setup - What's it worth?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can always put a 1200 block in there with 1000 heads. That should give you the clearance you need. In the event that you don’t wish to do that, gregforesi had to scallop his tank panels to get things to clear on White Trash.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200573#p200573:x0hc6df9 said:
desertrefugee » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:39 am[/url]":x0hc6df9]
Sheesh. No pressure. You guys are ridiculous.

Anyway, Two things going on here. One, we're in the middle of a cold snap for Arizona. Two, I have the beginnings of a massive cold – I hope it's not the flu.

As for the project content, Dave might be right about scalloping these side covers. I certainly hadn't anticipated a need to do that, but the more I look at this thing, the more I think there's not going to be enough clearance unless something happens.
file.php

If you are interested and need them, I think I have a set of 78 side covers that would be a better candidate for scalloping than yours.

I have some as well if needed.

Wow! Thanks guys. To be honest, I'm not crazy about the scalloped look. If I go the direction of relieving the shelter sides, I'd probably sculp the rear 2/3 of the sides sort of like the old Triumph tanks.

But, before I do that, I am thinking there might be some air cleaner options. Although it's beneficial on the Webers to run velocity stacks (they're not just for looks), I may not even have room for those. Just barely and waaayyy too close to my paint on the shelter.

Then there are these. A bit shorter radiused curves (what the stack provide), but still functional. Besides, I'm not looking to create a race machine. Just a looker.

Attachments

• 40 IDF ram tube mesh kit-650.jpg
    40 IDF ram tube mesh kit-650.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 115
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200573#p200573:1y6l8tvc said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 11:39 am[/url]":1y6l8tvc]
Sheesh. No pressure. You guys are ridiculous.

Anyway, Two things going on here. One, we're in the middle of a cold snap for Arizona...
What constitutes a cold snap in AZ?

I guess a little progress to report is better than no progress. I'm getting really close to rolling this thing back off the table, grabbing my fire extenguisher and sparking it off.

Got the transfer linkage cobbled together today. I kinda cheaped out for now, but this will be an evolving project. This will get me up and running just fine.

I still need to tie in the actual throttle cable. I may go off in the weeds a bit on this, too. Still pondering a couple of approaches.

Also received a some short velocity stacks and panties to cover them. I'm still seriously considering altering some backup shelter covers so that some decent big boy air boxes can be fitted. But, for now this will get me on the street.

So, it looks like a serious piece of equipment, but that means nothing until I get it dialed in. I'm running out of excuses. Hopefully in the next coupla days I'll have an early running report.
IMG_5663.JPG

IMG_5667.JPG

IMG_5672.JPG

Sweet looking bike and setup..Most your tuning will be the Slow or Idle jet, even though you have a lot of carb , that just means a lot more air ..may try to up you slows if it coughs real bad . You will get close, Only took me 5 years and several dyno runs to get my Single Mikuni Flatslide close and streetable

OK. Here's the deal for now. It's running. Actually better than I expected. But, I see another $50 expenditure in my near future for one of those fancy-dancy flowmeters for synching these carbs. Idles a little ragged and the right side is running a bit hotter than the left. The Viton orings bunched up a bit on that side for some reason and may not have sealed completely. I have my suspicions. If that's the case, I won't be able to do much with it until that's sorted.

I'll be taking it out for a test cruise when it warms up and after I fix a small fuel leak. :blush: Speaking of which, this beast is super cold-natured and not having a choke is really a PIA. Gotta really nurse the throttle. Seems responsive with, maybe, a very slight bog off idle. I won't really know for sure until I get out.

Road warrior pics will come later. Meanwhile, here's a shot of my finished linkage. There are a couple of things I want to tidy up and a minor adjustment, but it's solid. After trying a couple of ideas and wasting hours, I ended up doing exactly what Randakk suggests. It truly is the easiest way to get it done. Even so, there's still a good bit of fiddle-farting around to get it right

Will provide additional details later.
IMG_5679.JPG

Agreed. And now that I've had that shakedown run, I have a few comments so far.

1) Holy scheidt! At WOT it runs better than it ever has. This is going to be fun.
2) See #1. I think there will be a new clutch in my future.
3) There's a wicked dead spot in the transition circuit before the mains fire off. Between 3500 and 4000. Again points idle jets being too lean. I've got one step fatter jets already on the way.
4) Idle is not constant. I need to keep after it and the machine died on me a couple of times despite nursing the throttle. May still point to my suspected vacuum leak on the right side.
5) Once I get this setup smoothed out, you'd better believe the early cams are going in. (Thanks Brian).

But, that brings me back to #1. I believe I'll enjoy this for a while.

Oh, and about those photos. I was too busy to even think about them. Soon.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200822#p200822:25xwbz7n said:
brianinpa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:44 pm[/url]":25xwbz7n]
As far as #1 goes... That’s how I felt after getting my SCC setup right. I can only imagine what that double setup is like.

Speaking of which, is there a "Double Carb Club"?

:music:

:rocks:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200831#p200831:21tqpg8s said:
desertrefugee » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:34 pm[/url]":21tqpg8s]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200822#p200822:21tqpg8s said:
brianinpa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:44 pm[/url]":21tqpg8s]
As far as #1 goes... That’s how I felt after getting my SCC setup right. I can only imagine what that double setup is like.

Speaking of which, is there a "Double Carb Club"?

:music:

:rocks:
I suppose technically you have two double carbs. So really you have quad carbs that are not CV. If you have micro drills you might want to do your jet adjustments that way first. Once you know which jets you want then you can order just those. Install and you're done. Or you can just leave the drilled jets.