What have I done!? CBX !!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, it would be more accurate to say "What am I about to do?"

I, like many of us, have lusted over the CBX since it hit the streets 40 years ago. Back then, I was young and didn't have very deep pockets. Couldn't afford one. Over the years, they have never been "cheap" to obtain. And I had my motorcycle eye elsewhere. In recent years, they've become really expensive. Especially for nice, unmolested ones.

So, tomorrow morning I head for Tucson with trailer in tow to look at a '79. It is a one-owner bike. But, it is definitely not "unmolested". Customized. Nothing horrible, but almost zero original paint left. Maybe the frame. Even the motor has been painted. Factory turn signals gone. Factory bar gone. Factory seat gone - but nice Corbin on there. Factory pipe gone. But, a decent Russ Collins (RC) pipe on it. Been sitting for 10 years.

Price I couldn't ignore. So, unless something scares the heck out of me when I see it, it'll be coming home on the trailer.

Sheesh. Scary. But, the good kind of scary...

Stay tuned.

Really cool ! Be glad it is already modified .....so you can have fun riding it not making a museum queen !! lol Paid $ 1800 for a 79 Z 4 years ago,,,To compete the Honda legacy here is my , CB 750 The Motorcycle that Changed the World , The CBX Fastest Production bike in the World , And a Hot Rod Gold Wing !! i could own any bike i wanted..So i do ! All Honda's .. :salute: Hope it works out for ya !

Attachments

• IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 217
The Angry X as it's called ..Went to Americade last year ..50.000 bikers there ....1 CBX at the event ..now that was a good feeling ..Took it down the Strip Saturday and Wacked the Throttle , Sounds AMAZING at 12.000 RPM Got more attention parked on the Strip than any Custom Hardley that day :good:

Attachments

• IMG_3021.JPG
    IMG_3021.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 218
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201321#p201321:38iawscr said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 7:50 pm[/url]":38iawscr]
Please don't laugh at the paint job. Look BEYOND the paint and at the bones. Leaving at 7:30AM for Tucson.

file.php
Nice Has the Sport Kit , Corbin seat , I tried to walk away from the sale for mine it was so stripped for Drag race ..but the guy came down 1500 bucks and knew i had cash and a Van to take away ..I am so glad i saved another CBX i put about 5 grand in it,, Have Fun with the Carbs , should make the Webers on your wing seem like child's play, 48 hrs and 300 in parts and 2 books to rebuild. well worth it runs like stripped A$$ Ape..LOL .

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=201324#p201324:g616gnlc said:
Fstsix » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:08 am[/url]":g616gnlc]
Maiden Voyage after sitting for 25 years, cheesy video with smart phone on belt clip LOL [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Y-CvWRw1Q[/video]

Great video. I'm on the road. Will have something to report soon. Thanks for the well wishes guys.

Well, the deed is done. On the way down, my buddy and I agreed that I'd walk if this wasn't a slam dunk. (Good bones, good paper, etc. etc. etc.) I am of the opinion - and he agreed - that it is all the above and maybe a little more.

It is in fact a one owner bike. I have the original title issued to the owner when the bike had three (3) miles in 1983. Yes 1983. He bought it still in a crate in '83. Said it was supposedly one of the last crated CBX's left. Too bad he was not of a slightly different mindset. He has money. He made quite a few less than desireable mods. At one time, he said he had four of them. He's old now and, for some reason, this was the last of them to go. I wouldn't have even been there if the price had not been one I simply could not ignore.

I'm not a flame fan, but these were done professionally in Daytona by some guy from Chicago named Gilmore. The paint is exquisite. Waaaaayyyy too nice to cover up. I'll have to learn to like flames. It has a few mods. Forks are now air. That came later, but this system was not Honda. Motor was painted black and needs a respray. It was dropped on the right side off the kickstand and two fins are broken on the head. (Bummed me out). Not bad and I think I can smooth them out and make them appear "normal".

It's dirty. Been sitting in a garage for ten years since last run. Stabil in the tank. No rust. (It's Arizona). No rust not just inside the tank, but anywhere. It will clean up nicely.

There was no battery. I took a powertank and very carefully bumped it over until I was assured there was not fuel in the cylinders. (These things don't like that either - and even throw rods through through the case in extreme cases). It was clear and spun over healthily with good compression. I spritzed some WD-40 into the four outside cylinders and hit it again and danged if it didn't fire and try to run. I was sold. Gave the man the money and loaded it up.

Hook, line and sinker:
IMG_5721.JPG

Getting crowded again. Just the way I like it!
IMG_5723.JPG

I'm keeping this paint. It is flawless. Sidecovers and fender too!
IMG_5724.JPG

I'm going to be sitting in this chair late into the night:
IMG_5728.JPG

At this point, I'm going to drain the fuel tank, put in some fresh gas and see if I can get it to run as is. I just want to gauge "how bad" the carbs are before I dive in. Doing some reading, folks say that getting your CBX carbs sorted is half the battle in getting one running again. We'll see about that. The carb is remarkably similar to the early GL carbs. Both Mike Nixon and Randakk carry kits and other bits for them.

So, I'm off. I won't post much about it here, but just wanted you guys to know there's another mistriss in the house...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201317#p201317:2a0o55ef said:
joedrum » Yesterday, 5:48 pm[/url]":2a0o55ef]
This is really cool ...happy for you ...It was a blast looking at Greg’s CBX in his basement still getting the final smart hands treatment ....
Joe i should have pm you today,,, we went to our favorite place again that you and i had lunch at in CT , took the truck little too cold and salty for a bike ride ..Pubs were packed ! Corned beef specials today ! lol Greg

What a great find. If it tries to run, I'd put fresh real gas and Seafoam in it. These can be reliable, I've heard. Met a guy once at WTT museum that was riding his cross-country for the second time.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201311#p201311:238hveyp said:
kerryb » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:36 am[/url]":238hveyp]
Nobody NEEDS a CBX, but I think we all WANT one just the same. I would even aspire to rebuild and tune all those carbs!
:yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201314#p201314:4j5g0urq said:
Fstsix » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:43 am[/url]":4j5g0urq]
Really cool ! Be glad it is already modified .....so you can have fun riding it not making a museum queen !! lol Paid $ 1800 for a 79 Z 4 years ago,,,To compete the Honda legacy here is my , CB 750 The Motorcycle that Changed the World , The CBX Fastest Production bike in the World , And a Hot Rod Gold Wing !! i could own any bike i wanted..So i do ! All Honda's .. :salute: Hope it works out for ya !
file.php
:good: :salute:

Latest posts