GL1100 No Electrical

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A week ago I had no front light and brake lights constantly on. Glass fuse fixed it right up.

Yesterday I rode home and parked the bike.Today a friend was here and we checked the brake lights.
NO brake lights, no license plate light, no headlight, and no turn signals.
My running lights work, The gauge cluster works , and the engine turns over.

Fuses looked good. Got out the volt meter. All fuses 0.0 , accessory 0.0, dog bone is still in one piece-0.0
the two bolts above the dog bone 12.8, battery 12.8.
The dog bone is still stiff and sturdy. Really I was shocked when I found the dog bone still on the bike- I thought I had changed that to blade fuse.

Any way Will the dog bone fuse cause my problem?
Any comments appreciated.

Nope. Not dogbone. It either passes voltage or it doesn't. You have at least two circuits with issues - headlight and tail light. Separately fused. So, I'd be taking a close look at connectors/connections. In fact, it's probably a good idea to DISCONNECT every plug in the harness and spray it with contact cleaner, slather it with dielectric grease and see what happens.

My next planned project is to replace the original fuse box with a GL1200 fuse box. Get rid of the glass fuses and go to blades.
I am changing out the ignition currently. I prefer to do one thing at a time so I know it works before the next project.

But now I need to get this electrical problem solved. This will probably move my fuse exchange to the forefront.

Thank you desertrefugee.

Ignition switch could cause weird stuff like that. Try jiggling it on/off quickly a few times to see if it makes anything come on. Had a similar issue on my 1100 that turned out to be some burnt iggy switch contacts.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202571#p202571:1bvplahf said:
AApple » Mon May 07, 2018 10:52 am[/url]":1bvplahf]
Ignition switch could cause weird stuff like that. Try jiggling it on/off quickly a few times to see if it makes anything come on. Had a similar issue on my 1100 that turned out to be some burnt iggy switch contacts.
+1 :yes:

Or it could simply be a bad ground in the rear harness. Possibly corrosion causing loss of contact on the lower connection of the dogbone. Check the simple stuff first.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202610#p202610:2f8pp3ns said:
wilcoy02 » Tue May 08, 2018 7:24 pm[/url]":2f8pp3ns]
Cleaned out the key and several plugs with electrical grease.
Tightened the main ground wire by the coils.
Result-- I have lights where I should have them.

:salute:

~O~