What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled a "looks good" stator out of a GL1000 engine I had in the shed and made new gaskets from gasket materiel I had on hand. Told the wife I had just saved $90 by doing this and she said "You will just find another place to spend it."

I think that means I can spend it on whatever I want (except strip clubs). That's why we're still together after 50 years.

Fired Trixie up for the first time this spring! She's running okay for just waking up from a much too long winter slumber! There were a couple of casualties this winter, time for another battery cover and new mirrors.
9a66b4f68da2a55592d8c90c040792e5.jpg
6826d6b64c5ff78d4adc2ceac27fb073.jpg
1d8a4321b2283ccfb7dcbe9acb701547.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I finally moved some switches and indicator lights from the right side of the fairing to the left side of the fairing. Now I can get to them all and never need to take my hand off of the throttle.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202255#p202255:2kn2hobk said:
PurpleGL1200I » April 23rd, 2018, 12:45 pm[/url]":2kn2hobk]
I pulled a "looks good" stator out of a GL1000 engine I had in the shed and made new gaskets from gasket materiel I had on hand. Told the wife I had just saved $90 by doing this and she said "You will just find another place to spend it."

I think that means I can spend it on whatever I want (except strip clubs). That's why we're still together after 50 years.

I know what you're saying:
FB_IMG_1486749886613.jpg

Well, two things. 1. I found the cause of the blown fuses, the one next to the dogbone which caused a total loss of power when ever I was parking(handlebars to the right). There was a loose red wire up front. The end of the wire was covered with a fine black powder residue :headscratch: . 2. On the way to work my clutch handle got really spongy, and I found I couldn't put it in neutral when I pulled up to the golden arches drive through window. :oops: The reservoir was really low so I topped it off and all was well in my little part of the universe.

~O~

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202325#p202325:fj3hl3zs said:
Omega Man » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:08 pm[/url]":fj3hl3zs]
Well, two things. 1. I found the cause of the blown fuses, the one next to the dogbone which caused a total loss of power when ever I was parking(handlebars to the right). There was a loose red wire up front. The end of the wire was covered with a fine black powder residue :headscratch: . 2. On the way to work my clutch handle got really spongy, and I found I couldn't put it in neutral when I pulled up to the golden arches drive through window. :oops: The reservoir was really low so I topped it off and all was well in my little part of the universe.

~O~

I can’t believe that you do drive through on Crystal! :doh:
You may have a leaking slave cylinder if you are loosing fluid from the clutch master cylinder Randy. :swoon:

I finally was able to paint some! Humidity in the 40's, so I put down etching primer, black (Duplicolor wheel paint), and clear (also Duplicolor wheel) on the upper and lower triple tree and the air filter housing. Also put filler primer on the side panels and sanded them to remove a couple divots. Look like one or two more coats of primer and they will be ready for color. Hooked up the crankcase vent to the air cleaner housing after it was mounted, and then hooked up the drain bottle. A little tricky on a '75 motor (with the kick start quadrant back there) in a '78 frame, but I prefer the '78 system. Hope to be able to shoot color on the tins next week. Kind of wondering if the paint I've chosen will look right over different color primers (olive drab etching primer and light grey filler primer). Might just paint it all with a couple coats of black before I shoot the dark emerald green metallic.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202813#p202813:27hnxkyx said:
cowboy45 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:30 pm[/url]":27hnxkyx]
Blue gauge lights in!
0ad3f3d8bc01c8ad41cbb4a7b3a986ea.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

:good: Sweet! How much brighter are they?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202815#p202815:lf1omtqz said:
AApple » Today, 4:09 am[/url]":lf1omtqz]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202813#p202813:lf1omtqz said:
cowboy45 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:30 pm[/url]":lf1omtqz]
Blue gauge lights in!
0ad3f3d8bc01c8ad41cbb4a7b3a986ea.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

:good: Sweet! How much brighter are they?

I should have taken pics of the before and the after :doh: I don't know if it is me or the color but I think the stock bulbs are a bit brighter

I didn't get a chance to do anything to the wing today. I did put new sparkin' bolts in the Mighty ST 1300 and top off the coolant, and get all that old October 2017 air out the tires and replaced it with May 2018 air :). I also gave it a bath

Attachments

• 20180515_170947.jpg
    20180515_170947.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 132
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202824#p202824:fkmn5hmg said:
detdrbuzzard » Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 am[/url]":fkmn5hmg]
I didn't get a chance to do anything to the wing today. I did put new sparkin' bolts in the Mighty ST 1300 and top off the coolant, and get all that old October 2017 air out the tires and replaced it with May 2018 air :). I also gave it a bath
file.php
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
:good:

once home from henry's today I put the new odyssey battery in the wing and fired it up. then put some 2018 air in the tires before taking a short ride down to my friends shop. that's what the 35,000 mile sparkin' bolts looked like when I took them out of the Mighty ST 1300

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202840#p202840:3ks4j75x said:
pidjones » Thu May 17, 2018 5:26 pm[/url]":3ks4j75x]
Cleaned and rebuilt the front master cylinder, mounted, filled, and with the help of the daughter bled. I now have front and rear brakes, and.... Oh, yes! She started!

Starting is nice. :clapping:

~O~

Filled the tank on the '78, added both Berryman B12 and Stabil and rode around the business park (about 5 miles). Rolled her back into the corner. Probably won't fire back up until September. (When it'll only be around 100F).

Pulled the tach apart and lubed with silicone spray that I once used on RC helicopters. It is very thin and very slick, and thins other lubricants it mixes with. The tach had been very sluggish and was obviously not indicating correctly. I think I have it fixed now. Pulling that apart was tedious, but putting it back together wasn't that hard. I have to admit that I practiced first on an old speedometer that I have and it was much harder the first time. After testing the tach with my battery drill and remounting it, I mounted up the mufflers that I bought for the bike. I used fiberglass cloth that I doped with high temp copper RTV for the gasket between the muffler and header end. For a clamp I used the clamp that was on the original Honda muffler. Pictures to come on my build thread after I mount the saddle (which I won't get until next week).