Ontario to BC - 1985 LTD

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toronto to Ottawa this weekend? What is your planned route and time line? Maybe we can meet for a coffee. I am off Friday Sat and Sunday. ( coffee and pie). Pm me if this could work. :good:

Have the bike on the road. Went for a 200 Km ride yesterday, ran well, but the shocks are an issue. The air system is nice but I don't have time to do it justice. The shocks I ordered and put on are not robust enough for the weight of the bike. Have ordered a set of progressives as 5000 Kms with out good shocks will be a back injury waiting to happen. Upgrade of the shocks after 34 years and sitting for 5 years is not that bad.

For desertrefugee - got out and took some notable pictures of the ride yesterday. This area has a rich history in mining and is still an active area for such such as Kirkland Lake Gold and others. The Kerr Addison mine being one of the most notable in the area.

There is a memorial in Kirkland Lake to commemorate the memories of those who been lost to mining in the area:
KL Miner Monument 4.jpg
KL Miner Monument.jpg
KL Miner Monument 3.jpg

The small town of Earlton just south of where my family is has a 9 ton sculpture of the North American Bison. When it was first done, it was anatomically correct, but local folks campaigned to have it less correct and it was suitably neutered to accommodate the local wishes:
Earl.jpg
Earl 2.jpg

Enjoy. Cheers

Nice Ernest. That's a lot of dead miners. Arizona has a pretty extensive mining history - albeit shorter than points further east. I toured one of the old copper mines here once. Not a tour for the claustrophobic. Hats off to all those who did (and still do) pull rocks from deep underground.

Too bad about the buffalo.

Earl the bison got the short end of the stick so to speak. Maybe size envy! :music:

Have had a small setback. When I came back from the ride on Thursday, shut the bike off and it would not start. Checked the system and found the starter solenoid had failed. No worries, ordered a new one, received yesterday, installed checked to ensure correct operation, and hooked into starter. Went to start the bike and the starter draw took the battery down to 5 VDC from 12.6 VDC. Not good. Did this twice to confirm my worst suspicion.

Took the starter off, had installed new exhaust studs and washers, new pieces make work so much easier. Took the end off the starter and the internals are burnt, could smell it without being up close, and very discoloured. Also found a field coil screw head missing that allowed the field coil to float in the casing, not good either. I think the loose field coil was impinging on the armature and this contributed to the starter failure.

My issue with this is that I bought this as a refurbished starter in January 2016, had it fail on me in June 2016, and had it repaired under warranty in August 2016. Since then, this is the only bike it has been installed on, and I cannot think of a reason for the field coil screw to fail.

Regardless, I will be ordering up another starter and get the bike back on the road. I'm glad I have the time in my schedule to absorb this hiccup. Rescheduled a few visits and will get some additional work done for my Mother earlier than expected.

More to follow. Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202888#p202888:3j39q17u said:
pidjones » Today, 4:07 am[/url]":3j39q17u]
Have you checked with local automotive electric rebuilders? Starter motors are pretty easy to rebuild for them.

If this were a major centre I would, but here in the north of Ontario not a lot of places if any. I had talked to my brother about machine shops and there are none he knows of north of North Bay. The days of having parts rebuilt by local shops is quickly disappearing.

Cheers

You may have done this already - and I apologize if you have - but exactly how far north are we talking here? Based on your photos and trees still not leafed out in late May, it must really be "up there". Could you please post a pinned map or some coordinates, just for curiosity's sake?

Bummer about the starter.

Yea - the starter is unexpected. Here are the coordinates of where I am now: 48.0977° N, 79.7152° W I'm some 589 Km (365 miles) north of Toronto.

The wind also changed direction and blew the ice back into the bay. Still not out of winter yet.

Cheers

Mosquitoes and black flies haven't hit the streets yet. Hope to be out of here before then.

Bike is back to being operational. Starter came in today and is installed. Bike turns over nicely. While the bike was on vacation, took the liberty to install a rad fan indicator light and manual switch. have this on the other bike and do like the indicator light and the ability to keep the fan on while in traffic or stop/go.

Another hiccup did come up. Went to get the transit permit from the MOT and was informed that since the bike was classified as "un-fit", I will have to have the bike safetied in Ontario. BC for all its foibles does not have a requirement to safety a motorcycle whether it is already in province or coming into province. BC only wants to view the bike to make sure it is not stolen. So, I have made arrangements for the bike to be safetied next Thursday. Don't expect there to be issues, there are a couple and I will point them out. Saving grace is that the bike will be leaving Ontario very soon.

In the meantime, maybe a couple little issue to be addressed like the slide pin on the TRAC units. If I do this I will remove the front forks, lie them on the bench so the fork oil is more in the upper half of the fork then work on the TRAC units. The front forks are supposed to have been upgraded with Progressive springs, but he track record for this work on this bike is not very good. I did look at the Progressive spring install PDF and the preload is only 1 inch and it should not be an issue to remove the fork caps. New oil wouldn't be a bad idea.

More to follow. Cheers

Taking a break from work. Coffee and and a slice coconut cream pie - work is very horrendous, comfort food required! :Egyptian:

Looking at the TRAC units this morning to ensure the slide pin is free. Found the slide pins are free to float; however, the last mechanic to look at these units replaced the rubber boots with the wrong ones. Th rubber boots used are for the calipers, have a small groove that fits into the caliper case to keep it in place whereas the TRAC unit boots are kept in place by c-clips. The c-clips are still there thankfully.

Also thought of the work done and how similar is it to the bike in Victoria. Have done everything with the exception of:

1. Small coil mod - dedicated power to the coils. The OEM has the coils wired using a black/white wire from the engine stop switch that also provides power to other components resulting in line loss.
2. Side stand safety switch - too involved for the time I have and don't have the parts.
3. Driving lights - have wired for but not with.
4. Bearings all round.
5. Replacing brake and clutch lines with new SS teflon type.
6. Refurbish front forks - maintenance item.
7. Plug wires - have with me but will leave well enough alone - as has been mentioned, it works.
8. Plug caps - maintenance item down the road maybe.

Probably a few other small items, but it is interesting how much work can get done in a short time second time round. The fact that I have my brother's very comfortable and fairly well stocked garage to work in helps as well, wouldn't have even tried this if not. My brother's friend Don as well for his small welder and a few tools that my brother did not have.

More later - Cheers

A short update.

Been working on the bike for the last few days while waiting for shocks and TRAC parts. Have cleaned the rear and front rims, look good - the black paint that Honda used has stood up well. Have ordered driving lights, prepping the wiring and switch for install.

Installed the rad fan manual switch and indicator light. Fan comes on when the temp is in the 6 bar range, similar to my bike in Victoria.

Took the front forks off to get at the TRAC units. Drained oil and confirmed that there are progressive springs in the forks. New fluid tomorrow. Cleaned and did some Mother's aluminum polish on the forks - look good.

As I do these small jobs notice that there are a lot of loose bolts - won't be when I'm finished.

Cheers

Good day today. Got the fork oil - could only get 10 weight, can always change when back home. Driving lights should be here Wednesday, just have to hook into the wiring - ready to go. Should be picking up the TRAC parts tomorrow, putting new rubber boots on the TRAC slide pin.

New progressive shocks from Fortnine installed, bike sits a bit higher and will not feel like a hard tail HD. Will need to install a pad on the bottom of the side stand like the one in Victoria.

Have one small staring issue. Will not start when the start button is pushed, but I hear what sounds like a relay clicking under the coils (in that area). After a few seconds it will engage the starter and everything is fine. No error codes. Not the starter solenoid, new one installed. Will be reading up on this. Must be something small, just have to find.

Interesting issue last night. Was installing the old air shocks to do a test and putting air in manually from a compressor. Was using a rubber mallet and knocking on the left shock upper mount and the starter kicked in and started to turn the engine over. Key off as well. Shocked me for a moment then I tapped the starter solenoid and the starter stopped. Interesting and got the blood pumping.

Bike is all together so test rides will be done over the next few days and then off to Toronto and Ottawa.

Cheers

Look for a relay between the start button and solenoid. Sounds like a PO installed one near the coils on that line.

Took care of additional items.

Checked the starting system, no mods that I could see. Still difficult to start when the neutral indicator is not showing. Will read more on this. Have thought about bypassing the clutch switch, but only as a last resort. Expect this would also affect the cruise as well. Will see if the clutch switch is adjustable - could be this simple.

I do get a neutral indication, but have to play with the shifter for upwards of 30 seconds. Once this is latched, starts very well. Small annoyance, but better than not having the engine start.

Checked the inlet cone strainer for the fuel pump. A small amount of crud, but not enough to starve the engine of fuel. Cleaned the cone strainer and put together.

Using Yamalube Ring Free in every other tank of fuel. 3 ounces is good for 20 litres. Don't know if it is doing anything, but can't hurt.

Checked the TPS calibration. At 0.479 VDC, on the high side but good, left alone. Replaced the PB sensors (MAP) vacuum hoses with new.

Rubber boots for the TRAC units came in and are now installed.

Have a feeling the right/left cylinder balance is off so this will be done before I head west. Did notice on my other '85 LTD that the engine temp was hotter when the right and left cylinder banks were not balanced.

Still have a scraping sound from the rear case. Hoping it goes away with more use.

Mentioned in post #36 that I had installed Progressive rear shocks. The rear wheel is on the ground now when on the centre stand. My brother made an offhand comment that I should be able to drive off the centre stand. I took this as intended, in good fun, but decided to try it. I now have a drive off centre stand. Bike is very easy to get on the centre stand.

Have done two rides in as many days. 350 Kms total. Have put almost 1000 Kms on the bike since I started here. Not issues with the engine or basic mechanical, just the starting system. Once I have this figured out, the trip west will be quite enjoyable.

Considering this bike has not seen the road since 2014, doing fairly well.

Cheers