What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=202909#p202909:ykln2hs9 said:
Trak » 40 minutes ago[/url]":ykln2hs9]
put a cig lighter on my 96 1500, scheech,, you'd think a caddy would come with a lighter

See this far too often on lots of vehicles, it's an option! They make more money :)

I tried to pull the slave cylinder, and I've since read it's quite easy if you pull the alternator. I really didn't see an advantage but I'll try again in the much cooler morning w/o the alternator.

Here's my morning in emojis...

:BigGrin: :shock: :roll: :builder: :head bang: :beg: :rant: :Awe: :sensored: :crying: :laptop:

~O~

Got home, and strait to the motor vehicle place, tags and plates and title finally done.
Second part of day was cleaning up the wireing and installed the new brake light switch and then installing the front calipers then took it on a 70 mile test run. It is running lean so will need to change out the main jet, yay me!
Lastly installed the 7807 IC chip to replace the 7volt regulator.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202921#p202921:2inu8a38 said:
Ohara » Sun May 20, 2018 4:56 am[/url]":2inu8a38]
I took the rear wheel of the Aspencade, the valve stem sheared releasing all the air at once . I came to a wobbley stop. Ordered new metal valve stems.. :builder:

It only took once for this to happen to me and I switched. :good:

~O~

I finished up Winger Today.

It is 99% ready to be 100% ridable. What I mean is I can ride it as it is just still running lean at 80% throttle. Done the timing belts today all the hype about those I was fully anticipating a PITA but it was the easiest part of everything done so far. The cooling system was a PITA though. Flushed and new hoses, new thermostat.

So far since I got it home I have:
1 - Repaired/redesigned/re-engineered the mounting system the front fairing.
2 - Swapped over to a single intake/solex carb
3 - Rewired front and rear harness
4 - Replaced tires/tubes/rim stripes
5 - Points replaced (still considering the C5 set up)
6 - Swapped out the rear rack for a 1200 and installed a 1200 rear trunk
7 - Replaced the 1977 ignition switch set up with a 1987 1200 set up
8 - Rebuilt and flushed out the front brake system and replaced the DOT3 with DOT5 brake fluid
9 - Front fork brace
10-Made or one might say modified to fit (lots of welding involved) the front crash bar/highway bar
11-flushed and replaced the rear end/final drive with a synthetic oil and serviced unit
12-Replaced the timing belts
13-Replaced coolant and serviced the cooling system
14-Replaced the 7volt regulator with a 7807 IC chip
15-Installed a heads up voltmeter
16-Installed a 12volt power outlet in front fairing
17-Rebuilt and modified front forks
18-Serviced the head bearings (already tapered bearing from the factory on 1977)
19-Installed a 1982 GL1200 taillight
20-Installed non-rubber aluminum bar grips
21-Replaced the rotted upper shock bushings
22-Changed oil and filter
23-LED headlight and turn signals and marker lights (still 1157 tail and brake lights)
24-Last but not least waxed it. After navel jellying the rust on the chrome, came out meh.

Been like JoeDrum and doing much house work this spring. Finally started putting the new windshield on. Had to remove the speakers to get at the "stay put" nuts that don't. LED lights for the center gauges (3 out of 4, one didn't have enough room for larger bulb). I've ordered a new toggle switch that I've added to turn off the clock. Weather so crappy this year that even though I'm behind on having the bike ready to ride, I haven't missed out on much riding.

Balanced the carbs on the Hunley. Got them real close, but the left back screw seems almost stripped. It idles down well and starts good. Right side is a LOT louder than the left, though. I may have over-packed the baffle on the right side. Still waiting on saddle so I can ride her.

Pulled the start/headlight switch apart on Val. I have been losing the headlight since last Friday’s ride and had the same problem today/tonight after test riding the GL1800 this afternoon. A bit of a clean up of the contacts, a tweak of the spring and adjusting of the moving contact arms. All good now hopefully for another 20 years. :beg:

Got the Solex dialed in, I think. I only ran it down the street a few miles and it idled until the fan cycled. But it idled well with the #60 idle jet and pulls strong with the #135 main jet. Will ride this weekend and pull plugs and see how they look before and after.