Washed my GL1200 tonight!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveKamp

Reaction score
It was a perfect night to wash off all the road grime, bugs, and dust... clear skies, warm, kinda muggy, but a nice breeze blowing form the east.

Unfortunately, I was kinda busy- my band had a wedding reception to place downtown, and there was a parade going on that was going to block our access to get the equipment truck in. See, I own a step-van... former Frito-Lay truck, long wheelbase, our stage sound system lives in the truck, which is locked in my barn. Typically, I drive it to the show and back, but we had a show to play yesterday night, which means we had to set up yesterday afternoon. Since I was at work 'till 4pm yesterday, my drummer (who's retired, and an exceptional mechanic) drove out to my place, and drove the truck into town, and started unloading. I came straight from work and finished, we played that show. Rather than drive it all the way back out, he just drove it to his home for the night (he only lived about a quarter mile away)... then drove it downtown at 7:30am, got to the facility loading dock before the parade blocked the streets. I rode the GL1200 downtown, was able to thread my way through easily to the dock. We were set up by 11, so I rode back home for some lunch, a short nap, then some yard work, shower, and back downtown for tonight's show. We played 'till 11, then packed up the stage. He drove the truck back to my place, I led the way on the GL.

About 4 miles into our 18 mile trip, it started raining. By the time we got to mile 6, it was 40mph west winds and torrential rain. I was bumbling along through the puddles at 43mph, with windshield and clear glasses totally smattered with rain, and dripping back into my eyes. Couldn't stop... nowhere to stop, and wouldn't do any good if I did... so I just kept goin'. Somewhere along the line it started dropping #1 cylinder again (like it does at idle, but this time, at speed)... so I suspect the #1 problem is in the plug, coil, or wire...

Last two miles of pavement were damned-near by braille... I had my LED driving lights, and both headlamp beams blazing, and about all I could see was the yellow dotted center. Fortunately no other traffic, save for one very baffled county deputy... anywhere near us as we plied through sheets of rain. I rode the last mile-and-a-half of gravel just hoping I could stay in the center... water running down the hills on the sides does a real number on the gravel on th sides of the road. I made the turn into my driveway, then up into the dairy barn, where my motorcycles all hide from cold and wet weather.

I cleared the ramp, and up onto the plywood floor... the tires slid on the wet floor, almost bumping into my Jeepster... but safely under roof, I put it on the centerstand and rolled the door shut, soaked from all but the crown of my head (helmet) down to the soles of my shoes. I stood in the garage for about three minutes while mother nature's universal solvent drained from my totally-baptized clothes.

And now, it should be clean... or at least, a whole lot cleaner than it HAS been...

Attachments

• Ride home.JPG
    Ride home.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 113
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203392#p203392:17tsmz63 said:
slabghost » Today, 7:12 am[/url]":17tsmz63]
Been washing my valk that way for a week here.

I'm sending this one east to you, as a complementary gift for your loyal patronage! Looks like there's another one coming in behind it... which means my errand-running today will include yet another free in-motion motorcycle wash.

Good thing I ain't very sweet... I'll never melt!!! :roll:

I would pay good money for a nice gully washer. 95 days since the last measurable rain. I rode up to Forest Lakes on the Mogollon Rim Friday evening to spend a couple of days at a friend's cabin. (Nicest dang cabin I ever saw). Left Phoenix at 6PM and 105F. Got to FL around 9 and about 60F. Hated to leave, but came back early this morning - before the heat. Not a drop of rain or a cloud to be seen. Long range forecast does suggest some tropical moisture coming in late next week - which hopefully will kick start our annual Monsoon. Been a long time since I rode in rain like Dave describes.

Last two miles of pavement were damned-near by braille...

:smilie_happy:

I would say i washed mine today in the same storm here in Central Indiana, just I was riding across town to try to get to the grocery before it hit and I did not make it so I made the best of it. Only a few miles but I got good and soaked in them few miles.